Notice VPN Issue Workaround

OK so... I'm sorta upset. I don't have the option to choose my VPN adapter in the network settings. The VPN very much works (I'm posting this message over my VPN) but it's not showing up in my network options in ED.

Any guesses?

Yesterday several times after the patch I tried to run the game. Game launched, but not immediately. The fact is that during all these attempts to start, a message appeared about the need to allow ActiveX to work. In addition, once there was a message that there is a problem with the execution of the ActiveX script, and I need to allow or deny its execution. I allowed. The game started. For 3 hours in game was one time network disconnection with the banner mistakes: Taupe Cobra. I rebooted the game, and more this message did not appear. And there were no more messages about the need to allow ActiveX.

Sometimes the work of the built in Windows 10 VPN depends on the firewall, which is in many antivirus programs. This firewall can sometimes mistakenly block some incoming VPN connections. You can fix the block by disabling firewall in the antivirus settings.

Patch #3 fixed the problem for me. I selected the virtual adapter for my VPN and the first time it still showed my external IP the same as my LAN IP. But after re-starting the game it connected and upon re-checking the settings it now showed the proper IP. The game doesn't seem to like updating IPs after it started, so if you're changing the adapter setting, I would suggest you quit and re-start.

After patch I can choose vpn connection in network options and can connect to Frontier Servers, howerver, after long loading Im getting

I have the same issue on the same provider. :(
I tried to disable ipv4, but via ipv6 Elite fails to connect to the server in the main menu. Previously, everything worked perfectly.

Upd: Wow! Taupe Cobra error is gone today, i can play again! :) But ipv6 still doesn't work...

Last edited:
I have the same issue on the same provider. :(
I tried to disable ipv4, but via ipv6 Elite fails to connect to the server in the main menu. Previously, everything worked perfectly.

Upd: Wow! Taupe Cobra error is gone today, i can play again! :) But ipv6 still doesn't work...
I tried to counter this error and I found one workaround. As far as I know only one adjudication server is blocked, so our goal is to force game to change adjudication server. Thats what Im doing if getting taupe cobra error:
1. Exit game
2. Shutdown Steam
3. Disconnect VPN
4. Wait 15-20 seconds
5. Connect VPN, steam and game

Im waiting 15-20 seconds before reconnecting because if I'll reconnect immediately then my IP can stay the same, otherwise its changing. I dont know if it cruicial or not, but I prefer that way. (Of course it makes sense only if you have dynamic IP)

Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but its better than nothing =)

I dont know if it cruicial or not

But I know. Because of this mistake, we lose time and nerves.
I've said that before:
In my house I have two different independent Internet providers on different technology and on different ways of connection. The VPN connection is not used. A similar message (Taupe Cobra) appears regularly (once a day). Usually I restart the game - everything becomes normal. But it is unpleasant that such a message can appear at the most unnecessary moment. For example: I mine Painite. There's no one around me. There are already a hundred tons in the hold of the ship. And then this message appears. :( I reboot the game and appear in the same place where I mined of Painite before message. And immediately appear near the pirates… I've got a hundred tons of Painite in my hold. What do you think is going on?.. Yep.. :(
So this error is clearly on the side of the game developer's servers…

You are wrong. Blocked adjudication server have 3.248.182.131 IP. This IP blocked by goverment, you can check it on official site, so doesnt matter which ISP you are using, every ISP should follow rules and block this IP.

Also, "I dont know if it cruicial or not" was about if I need to change my IP or not for this workaround to actually work.

Blocked adjudication server have 3.248.182.131 IP. This IP blocked by goverment, you can check it on official site, so doesnt matter which ISP you are using, every ISP should follow rules and block this IP.

Well, - then there is another question. Why does the manufacturer use addresses on the network for Amazon, if it is known that because of this, many users (not only in Russia, as we can see) are blocked from accessing the game and an error “Taupe Cobra” appears?

But I know. Because of this mistake, we lose time and nerves.
I've said that before:
In my house I have two different independent Internet providers on different technology and on different ways of connection. The VPN connection is not used. A similar message (Taupe Cobra) appears regularly (once a day). Usually I restart the game - everything becomes normal. But it is unpleasant that such a message can appear at the most unnecessary moment. For example: I mine Painite. There's no one around me. There are already a hundred tons in the hold of the ship. And then this message appears. :( I reboot the game and appear in the same place where I mined of Painite before message. And immediately appear near the pirates… I've got a hundred tons of Painite in my hold. What do you think is going on?.. Yep.. :(
The restart of the Elite Dangerous game is often caused by the loss of ping and connection latency, these sometimes occur that although having nodal bandwidth create those micro interruptions of ping and latency that when detected by the ED believes that its Connection is lost and restart the game. Therefore it is advisable to program a QoS on your router. If you do not know this ask a professional. I know because during the years 2015-2017 my internet connection was a real disaster and I had these interuptions

VPN still broken after the latest update. WHEN IS THIS GONNA GET FIXED?????
It is fixed.
Start your VPN, connect to your favorite server. Then start ED. Go into the options, then Network, click on Ethernet, select your VPN connection. exit ED and then go back in. it should be working for you now.

It is fixed.
Start your VPN, connect to your favorite server. Then start ED. Go into the options, then Network, click on Ethernet, select your VPN connection. exit ED and then go back in. it should be working for you now.
Can confirm, NOT (that's a negative) fixed.

My VPN adapter does not show up in the logs or as a valid adapter.

So... yeah. Not 100% Fixed.

Can confirm, NOT (that's a negative) fixed.

My VPN adapter does not show up in the logs or as a valid adapter.

So... yeah. Not 100% Fixed.
Your VPN adapter has a problem, try to make sure your operating system recognizes it and name and type of VPN, so that ED can recognize it. but attention there are operators and governments of some countries that cover certain VPNs. If you still have problems ask developers, most VPNs work OK

Your VPN adapter has a problem, try to make sure your operating system recognizes it and name and type of VPN, so that ED can recognize it. but attention there are operators and governments of some countries that cover certain VPNs. If you still have problems ask developers, most VPNs work OK
Seeing as I'm typing this message from my VPN, I can't see how it is?

I'm currently using SwitchVPN-IKEv2.

I'm not denying that most VPNs are still working, I'm just saying mine still isn't.

Seeing as I'm typing this message from my VPN, I can't see how it is?
View attachment 147720

I'm currently using SwitchVPN-IKEv2.

I'm not denying that most VPNs are still working, I'm just saying mine still isn't.
If, as I think, you use SwitchVPN, that does not use AES 256 encryption, it uses 128. SwitchVPN-IKEv2 sometimes gives problems with W10, reinstalls drives but manually so that all the parities are collected by windows, sometimes it does not identify all the necessary data when settle down, mysteries of computer science. If it still gives you problems then the Devs should help you. W10 telemetry does not disable SwitchVPN-IKEv2

If, as I think, you use SwitchVPN, that does not use AES 256 encryption, it uses 128. SwitchVPN-IKEv2 sometimes gives problems with W10, reinstalls drives but manually so that all the parities are collected by windows, sometimes it does not identify all the necessary data when settle down, mysteries of computer science. If it still gives you problems then the Devs should help you. W10 telemetry does not disable SwitchVPN-IKEv2

A) Yes I use Switch
B) From what I read here, you're saying the problem lies with Switch's implementation of IKEv2. Would this issue as you understand it persist with other protocols? (Ex, L2TP?) because I can't get those to work either.

Cheers!

A) Yes I use Switch
B) From what I read here, you're saying the problem lies with Switch's implementation of IKEv2. Would this issue as you understand it persist with other protocols? (Ex, L2TP?) because I can't get those to work either.

Cheers!
It is quite likely to be a drive and program error. Manually reinstall all SwhisVPN, force through the control panel to install drives and program that you have previously downloaded to your W10 and make sure that the drivers have no error from w10 administrator.
But remember they are not friends windows10 and SwitchVPN :)

Top Bottom