VR - First Person On Foot VR Works in Odyssey

And here is some quick proof-

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRE9SzKqK6s

New Addition
This is me using the Oculus Motion Controllers for guns & aiming.

I should specify that this is the motion function that you wave around, not the joysticks on them.

]Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzyXsqVzYA&t=5s[/MEDIA]

jump to the original forum post-

This is like 90% done. Just throw some kind of HUD on this and we're there.
@Zac Cocken

Credit to this poster on the Steam Forums for the method to do this easily-
(Basically just plink your free camera & camera suite buttons)

I automated this process in Voice Attack as described in this post: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...-foot-vr-works-in-odyssey.582713/post-9320619

A few things to note- this is my first time doing this and I'm just testing the waters. The rocks I hit in the video I was aiming at, so that was fine and felt natural.
Used a mouse and keyboard no problem.
Did not throw up when I hit the jump boost (apparently a lot of forum goers think that plays the brown note or something)

So... I dunno guys. This is pretty close to job done. Why is Elite wasting player goodwill and eating backlash instead of just doing a quick polish on this with some "more to come soon!" to keep up the goodwill?

@StuartGT @VR Golgot @here_it_comes @CMDR Quarter-Master @Obsidian Ant @VR SenseiMatty
Also made a Reddit thread-
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/o26l3n Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/o26l3n/on_foot_vr_in_elite_dangerous_odyssey/

Last edited:
IMHO they don't enable or announce VR for Odyssey because of two reasons:
  • Performance - they can't reach stable fps or frametimes atm
  • HUD for legs seems to be rendered in the menu layer (the gamma pre update 3 did only affect the menu and the legs HUD)

No. 2 may be relatively simple, with No 1 all bets are off. But by the patch track record and the totally borked performance right now I personally think they are not confident enough themselves to optimize it enough to be reliable for VR.

IMHO they don't enable or announce VR for Odyssey because of two reasons:
  • Performance - they can't reach stable fps or frametimes atm
  • HUD for legs seems to be rendered in the menu layer (the gamma pre update 3 did only affect the menu and the legs HUD)

No. 2 may be relatively simple, with No 1 all bets are off. But by the patch track record and the totally borked performance right now I personally think they are not confident enough themselves to optimize it enough to be reliable for VR.
games premature, were Odyssey a child being born not a game released, it'd be deemed 4 months premature and in neo-natal intensive care for a few months, but that doesn't preclude the company saying "yes to VR, but as you can see our hands are a bit full, so it will be later we do it", but to shut the door on VR the way they did? words fail me.

games premature, were Odyssey a child being born not a game released, it'd be deemed 4 months premature and in neo-natal intensive care for a few months, but that doesn't preclude the company saying "yes to VR, but as you can see our hands are a bit full, so it will be later we do it", but to shut the door on VR the way they did? words fail me.

It really doesn't make sense. I feel very badly for whoever is in charge of PR right now. That person has to know how close they are to turning the ship around on the VR situation. And if they don't, well this is me telling you.

Frontier. Put down the shovel. Stop digging this PR hole. Just take this footage, take this example, and turn this ship around.

We're not talking doing any ground breaking work here. We're talking about throwing a functional HUD on what's already there. The frames are bad for VR? Sorry, the frames are bad period. That's not an excuse. Implement this and bring all the frames up as you go.

"A rising tide lifts all boats" etc etc.

Honestly, at this point (like Braben's comment 30fps would be acceptable performance) not even they are sure they can optimize Odyssey enough for VR compatible performance in the foot part.
My 2080 with the Reverb G2 does about 20 frames worstcase in a concourse atm...

Ok, so after watching the video.

1) I suspect performance is probably the main thing, with performance something they admit they weren't expecting to be a problem and still need to find solutions for in 2d, FPS VR is probably just not something they are sure would work well at all. It can be shaky in performance terms in space never mind stations/setttlements/CZs.

2) I've said it before, but "just do that and throw a hud on it" sounds simple, and may not be too complicated, but it would take more time and resources to make it work than people assume.

I hope they do it at some point, but just assuming it's so simple ... I doubt it.

And here is some quick proof-

Nice one Enex :)

I’m definitely liking the new transparent avatar (and access to freecam, if that’s a thing now, as it wasn’t functional in VR previously).

It’s a good proof of native VR working on foot.

I wouldn’t say it makes an official port practically done, by any means. (My suspicion is that they’d have to match market norms, and that means motion controllers etc. A lot more work.)

But hacky VR access, using classic controls? That seems a helluva lot more possible right now ;)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Nice one Enex :)

I’m definitely liking the new transparent avatar (and access to freecam, if that’s a thing now, as it wasn’t functional in VR previously).

It’s a good proof of native VR working on foot.

I wouldn’t say it makes an official port practically done, by any means. (My suspicion is that they’d have to match market norms, and that means motion controllers etc. A lot more work.)

But hacky VR access, using classic controls? That seems a helluva lot more possible right now ;)
What about interacting with the environment? Things like screen terminals, looting, aiming down sights etc?

Ok, so after watching the video.

1) I suspect performance is probably the main thing, with performance something they admit they weren't expecting to be a problem and still need to find solutions for in 2d, FPS VR is probably just not something they are sure would work well at all. It can be shaky in performance terms in space never mind stations/setttlements/CZs.

2) I've said it before, but "just do that and throw a hud on it" sounds simple, and may not be too complicated, but it would take more time and resources to make it work than people assume.

I hope they do it at some point, but just assuming it's so simple ... I doubt it.
you realise you're just assuming it'll be difficult though? no proof for that either, and it doesn't become proof if you say it a lot :LOL:

I also wanted to point out that the Camera Suite HUD was up until I intentionally got rid of it. So there's no reason they can't modify that game function to make a HUD for the On Foot VR gameplay.

@Viajero I haven't tried interacting at a settlement yet, but that's a good idea. Pressing the Aim Down Sights button (right click for me) didn't seem to do anything. I could freely swap weapons though. I might have right click + button bound to my camera suite (seem to recall doing that for voice attack stuff ages ago).

What about interacting with the environment? Things like screen terminals, looting, aiming down sights etc?

Using the vanity cam?

It's pretty much as you'd expect. No UI by design. No aiming reticules. No menus.

You can actually interact in all forms, AFAIK, in terms of keybindings still working. You can certainly fire your weapon, throw grenades, using the scanning tool etc. But anything that requires UI / reticule / menu interaction is essentially out for all practical purposes. (You have to toggle back to the 2D screen - which becomes a major pain if you're then rejigging your position in the vanity cam when you return).

---

If we're talking FDev allowing us access to VR headlook in first person, then more would be possible. (The thread in my signature goes into some detail, regarding piggy-backing on TrackIR functionality etc). But UI (and any 'close' object) would likely be deeply unpleasant to use, if unvarnised and 'as is' etc.

We'd also just be a giant set of arms floating above some legs. But I could live with it ;)

you realise you're just assuming it'll be difficult though? no proof for that either, and it doesn't become proof if you say it a lot :LOL:

A HUD in VR is definitely more than a case of 'just throw it on'. That's certainly true.

And the HUD would certainly be just the tip of the iceberg for preparing a marketable VR port.

'Adding X feature takes more dev than you think' is a pretty good rule of thumb for us fans ;)

---

It's for reasons like the above, and the very obvious no/low budgeting for VR at the moment (with other EDO travails in the foreground), that I'd recommend we think in terms of 'what could FDev do as fan service' / 'unofficially'. And even if we could convince them to do that, the results would likely be very basic. That's the kind of scenarios we're looking at for at least the next year I'd imagine.

Top Bottom