VR (Rift S) Performance RX 5700XT, Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB DDR4-3200

Hello CMDR's,

I recently got the RIft S and I've been trying to follow the tips I can see on this forum.

From what I've read it comes down to basically super sampling and HMD quality.

I can play the game smoothly (solid 80FPS) with 1.0 SS and 1.0 HMD quality. But changing either to a higher setting drops me down to 40fps (v sync enabled) when on planets. And setting either to 1.5 (leaving the other at 1.0) drops me down to 40 in almost any situation.

I see other people who are quoting better numbers which lower end harware. Does anyone here have similar set up to me who could give me an Idea about performance

PS. I've tried using the EDProfiler but it doesn't launch the game properly. (Also it's just a present thing mostly right?)

Thank you,

M

its not necessary to launch ed from kaii's profilier, u just set desired settings, and press "apply", then launch ed as you desire.

Well, i got 9700kf, 2070s and 16gb 3200 ram, rift s too.
2020-05-26 224617.jpg
That settings gives me almost full time 40 fps at stations and planets. Reducing hdmq to 1.25 can bump it to 80 fps at most stations, but text becomes a little bit blurred. So you definately need to check out that thread and tweak with ed profilier

Last edited:
I have Ryzen 5 2600x with a RTX 2070. I can not get 90 fps consistently - and neither can anyone else.
As you noticed, there are lots of people reporting "butter smooth" play on seriously inferior hardware, but its my guess that they only looked at FPS in space and never noticed the ASW kicking in.

But try to leave the numbers behind.
"Buttersmooth" is a sensation not grounded in numbers. I currently run with very high graphics options that sets me in ASW 90% of the time. It LOOKS buttersmooth, it feels buttersmooth - but in reality the numbers says it should be otherwise.
Also, pushing it so high means that there will be very few times where it switches between 90 and 45 for ASW. That switch can be felt and seen, so instead of going with poor graphics and ASW activation in busy scenes, I went full monty and with ASW deactivation in calm deep space, where its almost unnoticeable.

But try to leave the numbers behind.
"Buttersmooth" is a sensation not grounded in numbers.

I will second this. I don't have such high end hardware and the FPS value is actually the least important metric related to what makes me comfortable all the time. For example I can turn down/off anti-aliasing and get a constant 90FPS everywhere but its not worth it.

Also, if you are trying to increase the SS and HMD quality just for text clarity, try changing the HUD colour. Blues and greens makes a massive difference without any performance impact :)

Overclocked 2080 here. I can get 80 fps with high/ultra settings only if HMD is 1.25. BTW I can't see absolutely any difference in quality from 1.25 upwards.
I do get under 80 fps in busy extraction sites, sometimes on planets.
Thing about ED is that it's finicky.
Some days all is smooth.
Other days I get fps drops just sitting in the hangar.
It's the only game in my vr library that has this sort of behaviour.
It can get frustrating, especially if you want to find the perfect settings and twick them finely enough so that it's close to perfect, just so the next day it goes to hell because suddenly when you land on a rock you're all of a sudden getting huge fps drops out of the blue.
But hey at least you get to fly a spaceship.

I have a rfit s r5 3600 16gb ram and a gtx 1070, I purchased through frontier year ago, anyway I switched to use open composite and also went homless on the rift software, also i sue oculus tray tool and I could get SS on the tray tool to 1.3 with a constant 80FPS in SPACE, on planets it was alot lower a bit juddery but ok I also turned off a few settings in the game like shadows and vsync post processing effects etc, still looks amazing and for me is butter smooth, I also turn off ASW

Top Bottom