VR setup finally completed

I’ve been progressively adding to my setup from my first dive into ED on an iMac.
Next up was a self build i5 4670K with a GTX 960, 16gb ram, SSD and 6 x hdd (raid). Logitech 3D Extreme joystick.

Upgrade to GTX 1070 and a Samsung Odyssey purchased after experiencing ED on my son’s Oculus. Plenty of teething problems with WMR to start with and endless tweaking to get visuals acceptable (some of my 1070 settings were posted on the forums). Got hold of a cheap x52 on eBay to compliment it.
GTX 1070 swapped out for a RTX 2080 next added a boost to supersampling and clear visuals without killing the GPU, however the 4670k was the limiting factor.
Swap out the i5 4670k for an i7 4790k (best I could fit on the z97 pro mobo) clocked to 4.6Ghz.
X52 died... swapped out for CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pedals courtesy of another good spot on eBay (less than $100 for the lot 😉).
I managed to make it to Beagle Point in my ASPX on DW2 before moving from California (USA) back to the UK and had to wait over 2 1/2 months for my shipping to arrive.
New desk and chair required, and plumped for an Obutto R3volution (with Flight stick add ons). Still stuck with single monitor as I mainly use VR. Custom desk built for my son.
Samsung odyssey updated with WidmoVR lenses, VRCover pad, studio form creative vr overhead strap and headphones removed (I now use my old Bose Noise Cancelling Quietcomfort 15 headphones which work a treat).
Another eBay purchase of a SubPac S1 (was weighing up buttkicker, but subpac looked better and managed to get a great price on an older S1). This fits perfectly into the back of the Obutto Seat.
Final additon of a wireless Logitech gaming mouse and sandstrom
Wireless keyboard finish the setup.

Had to re-engineer the R3volution slightly to configure for both keyboard and mouse use whilst leaving the HOTAS in place. Seat fully forward for HOTAS, or slid fully to the rear and the keyboard tray rotated round (just misses the stick when rotated).
Setup is now completed with cable management sorted courtesy trusty zip-ties (ty-wraps).

The combination of R3volution, Samsung Odyssey, CH Hotas and the amazing “feel” of your ship through the Subpac is quite something.

The latest SteamVR for Windows Beta does a good job of reprojection which I have now only just started using to good effect.

Happy to answer any questions on the R3volution etc.

Time to get back to the black and bring back my ASP Explorer “HMS Earl Grey” from Beagle Point.

o7 Commanders.

C0-ACCC48-A51-F-4640-AF94-4-B45-C7-BE8-B4-F.jpg

A83694-FE-62-D5-4-F05-BC1-C-8-B974-E4-B4-BFA.jpg

Great setup. You could consider mounting a cheap subwoofer under/behind the seat. That will add to the immersion, but it might stress your surroundings. ;)

Your setup looks great! And i can only confirm, that it is incredible, how much immersion a proper transducer setup adds to the VR experience. I use a custom design with 2 20 Watts and 2 40 watts transducers.

And funny to read your story OP, as it is pretty much the road i took. I played Elite on my iMac until it was clear, that the Horizons DLC would not make it to OSX and then built a PC with a GTX970... After taking the plunge into VR i went from the Rift to the Rift S and upgraded the PC with a 1080ti and a i7 processor - and from a regular office chair with joysticks on my desk to a full metal frame cockpit. Elite is so much fun in VR. :)

Fly dangerous CMDR!

I was a little sceptical at first that the Subpac would make that much of a difference... I needn’t have worried, it certainly adds to the immersion!... I can’t compare to Buttkicker or similar transducers as I haven’t experienced them myself, however it does exceed my initial expectations and I would recommend to anyone considering adding a transducer to take a look at the Subpac (relatively expensive new, but simple to setup and if you can get one cheap... go for it! Mine was sourced for about £100).

I’ve stopped adding to my setup (for now 😉).

o7 Cmdrs

My last addition was the Thrustmaster F-18 stick for my HOTAS and i am still thinking about replacing my t.flight rudder pedals with the Thrustmaster A10 replica. Anything further would include adding motion to the chair and that is too expensive to just doing it.
But if there is one conclusion, then it is, that Elite is played best in a decent VR cockpit setup. Fly dangerous :)

I was a little sceptical at first that the Subpac would make that much of a difference... I needn’t have worried, it certainly adds to the immersion!... I can’t compare to Buttkicker or similar transducers as I haven’t experienced them myself, however it does exceed my initial expectations and I would recommend to anyone considering adding a transducer to take a look at the Subpac (relatively expensive new, but simple to setup and if you can get one cheap... go for it! Mine was sourced for about £100).

I’ve stopped adding to my setup (for now 😉).

o7 Cmdrs

Great setup you have there Cedarwood. May i ask how easy/difficult it was to setup the Subpac with the VR headset? and any pointers in helping with that setup?

Thanks

The Subpac setup with the VR headset (WMR Odyssey in my case) was a relatively simple process. If using SteamVR for the interface, you have the option of replicating the audio to an alternative output at the same time (e.g.desktop). The Subpac takes a normal left/right input as you would expect on a headset. You then have normal stereo output to headphones and duplicate output to the Subpac. I used this method for a while until I removed the Odyssey AWG headphones and decided to go with a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones in stead. The setup in this new configuration is incredibly simple.... PC L/R output to Subpac>Subpac headphone jack output to headphones. No need to have a separate amp for the Subpac (built in) or have the subwoofer channel directed to it... very easy setup all in all. Hope that helps.

Did you try a Bluetooth connection, would be interested in a subpac and wondering how well that might work? Would be easy to use with the vest for other games as well as ED?

I’m using a Subpac S1 that isn’t the wearable vest variant and doesn’t have the bluetooth, it is permanently installed into the seat. I’ve heard the s2 works well for others games in VR.

Top Bottom