Walking around in fleet carriers?

...Smiles at this one...

We don't even have a Fleet Carrier bridge to look out from, let alone any spaces we could walk around...

So I wouldn't hold your breath on that one! :p

I'm still wondering: what do people want to do while walking around?

When people play games, they go to extreme measure to walk around as little as possible. Once they've explored something a couple times, anyway. Isn't walking around ships going to become a skipped step if possible, and busywork if it's required each time?

When people play games, they go to extreme measure to walk around as little as possible. Once they've explored something a couple times, anyway. Isn't walking around ships going to become a skipped step if possible, and busywork if it's required each time?

One of the things I have always wondered as regards waling around in ships. What happens if you go for a walk in your Conda to the lower observation deck, the one we all know about, and the ship gets attacked? I mean sure you can say, well we can have AI in control of the ship while we are walking, but a good player with an engineered ship will torch your Conda piloted by AI in less than a minute whereas if you were a the controls you could probably survive and maybe even win.

The Conda is huge, getting from the lower observation deck to the command deck is going to take 10 or 15 minutes. At the moment if you are doing other stuff, if FSS, you just get popped back at the controls, I don't see that being acceptable to the community if you are walking around a long way from the command deck, legs comes with some drawbacks, I could maybe see it work on a small ship with a porta-potty out the back, but not large ships with a lot of room.

People keep saying if they could walk around in their ships FDEV could introduce mini-games like module repair, but that would either only be done at a station or risk being destroyed while you are away from the controls, and if you are at a station who is going to wander around repairing modules manually where there's a repair all button on the menu?

So any thoughts?

That it will...what people always neglect to mention is the fact that experiences wear thin after a while. Walking around a ship is going to feel cool and immersive the first few times. But eventually the novelty wears thin, becomes filler activity, and you're just gonna want to skip it and get on with the gameplay that actually matters.

Is this a thing?

It will become a thing once stations themselves become walkable - carriers are virtually stations UI-wise and operation wise.

If and when that happens then the stories and plots we used to hear/read in Galnet have the potential to become much more real instead of seeing the same old 2D NPC faces and text dialogue.

So, stations & FCs first then ships. Because ships are harder and FD usually tackles the easier core stuff first - knowing them i mean.

One of the things I have always wondered as regards waling around in ships. What happens if you go for a walk in your Conda to the lower observation deck, the one we all know about, and the ship gets attacked? I mean sure you can say, well we can have AI in control of the ship while we are walking, but a good player with an engineered ship will torch your Conda piloted by AI in less than a minute whereas if you were a the controls you could probably survive and maybe even win.

The Conda is huge, getting from the lower observation deck to the command deck is going to take 10 or 15 minutes. At the moment if you are doing other stuff, if FSS, you just get popped back at the controls, I don't see that being acceptable to the community if you are walking around a long way from the command deck, legs comes with some drawbacks, I could maybe see it work on a small ship with a porta-potty out the back, but not large ships with a lot of room.

People keep saying if they could walk around in their ships FDEV could introduce mini-games like module repair, but that would either only be done at a station or risk being destroyed while you are away from the controls, and if you are at a station who is going to wander around repairing modules manually where there's a repair all button on the menu?

So any thoughts?

Well, the truth is you wouldn't be repairing it at a station since the station, being the fixed base operator would do that for you anyway. The repairs you do in the ship would only be a partial fix. Full repairs would be done at the station by the maintenance crew. And having to fix something while in combat is entirely on you. And yeah, 15 minutes just to get to the damn flight deck or cockpit would be a painful experience. Why people want to have to do this, every damn time just because they want to feel "immersed" is beyond me. 🙃

It makes me smiling because yesterday I replied in another thread wondering why is no one asking if we will be able to walk around in our FC in Odyssey.

When FC was released and many people asked for a bridge view I clearly remember many speculations about being able to walk around in FC and a bridge when "The Next Era" would have been released.

How many other evidences do people need to realize that FDEV is not taking seriously the community feedbacks?

Check here how many long standing QoL requests have never been implemented in the game:
List of long standing (small) requests
  • Universal Limpet Controller: required to have a more flexible ship outfitting to interact with various random missions
  • Fix missing moons orbit lines in VR in the FSS interface: yes this bug is still there
  • Fuel Jettison: required especially by explorers when they need those extra 2-3 LY jump range not achievable because of fuel weight in the tanks
  • Launch Cancel Request: when you press by mistake Launch at the starport and during the platform movement you remember you forgot something (limpets, srv, whatever) and you don't want to go forth and back. It can also happens by mistake at Fleet Carriers and during a jump count-down could be a disaster if you're not able to dock again. Alternatively we should be able to request docking again without the distance restriction nor the need to leave the station.
  • Additional graphical identification marks for planets with biological and gelogical signal: additional identifications in the navigation panel and in the system map to localize these planets after the FSS scan without the need to note them down on paper (impossible in VR of course).
  • "Terraformable" identifcation in the FSS: in the FSS interface, on the planet information panel the "Terraformable" information is missing. It should be added as it is in the system map (thanks @Bigmaec)
  • People shadow movement in the control towers: add some shadow moving forth and back behind the control tower windows to give more life to starports.
  • Crew on board: add crew to the free seats in the cockpits (where available)
  • Improve supercruise acceleration leaving planets: many complained that it takes too much time to accelerate when leaving a planet and they avoid planet bases for this reason (it could be an engineering experimental effect as well)
  • Supercruise smoother transition: a smoother transition when approaching orbital starports and planet rings for example
  • More variations in hyperjump tunnel animation: it's always the same since years. There should be a larger number of these animations and these should randomly change at every jump.
  • Thargoids interactions: system with Thargoids Incursions or Invaded by them (Pleiades sector for example) should be more dangerous and the encounters shouldn't be optional. You should be properly equipped before venturing there. What remains optional is the choice to travel there, not the chance to meet them.
  • Targoids attack near stations in real time and during rescue operations: we know this is already possible as it was used during the Gnosis failed jump to the Cone Sector, but it was never reused later... why?!
  • More dangerous Black Holes: their current rating is "Harmless" when they should actually be at least "Deadly" (thanks @CMDR Nathan Atterlein).
  • Improved Outfitting menu: add options to filter module types and save/load ship outfitting configurations.
  • Bugged Planets Rendering in the System Map: many times, opening the system map after the honk, some planets appear empty/without texture
  • HUD customization colours: being able to change the HUD colour theme. It is already possible through 3rd party tools but this has unfortunately unwanted effects on other graphical interfaces
  • Faster to way to restock items (limpets, powerplay items and so on): the click and hold to change quantity is sometime very slow. Many times it has been suggested to add the possibility to enter the numbers directly
  • Nicer way to manage material ignore lists: the ignore/stop ignoring item is limited to the left UI panel and available when materials are spawn. There should be an independent menu/display with all information filters shown at once where it is possible to manage them properly
  • Improved renderings for NPC pictures: Next Era maybe? (thanks @JohnRoberts for the last 4 entries)
  • Small Seismic Charge Launcher: this request should be part of the Elite Forum Lore already! (credits to @Kenneth McGrew )
  • Type-7 and Imperial Clipper versions for Medium Landing Pad: both Imperial and Cargo Lakon ships lack of a medium ship and many share the opinion that this gap should be filled by the Type-7 and the Clipper. Less popular, but the same, applies for Saud Kruger ships, where the Orca could fill the missing medium size.
  • Galaxy map bookmark folders and/or custom colours: for a better organisation of large large numbers of bookmarks.
  • Add a ‘scanned’ flag to surface POI’s once scanned with the Composition Scanner: so you can keep track of those you've scanned.
  • Add bots or NPC ships sto CQC: often waiting time for other players are too long, in this case bots or NPC ships should be used to be able to play to CQC
  • Offer material rewards for CQC victories: self explaining
  • Multi crew support for SRV: one player flies the ship and another player drives the SRV, so that ground assault missions become true multi-player activities (credits to @nanite2000 for reminding the last 6points)

And yeah, 15 minutes just to get to the damn flight deck or cockpit would be a painful experience. Why people want to have to do this, every damn time just because they want to feel "immersed" is beyond me. 🙃

If we get interiors for ships like a Conda or Beluga I think it's simply going to be a "legs" menu option, go to lower observation deck and we'll just appear there like we do in the SRV, it will be explained away as some for of Turbo Lift type mechanism AKA star Trek and you'll be able to walk around there, then access the Turbo Lift to get back to the Command Center.

I just hope it doesn't turn into some sort of debacle like WiS in EVE.

So any thoughts?

One idea is "player housing" that several other MMOs have. Mostly vanity stuff, different themes (explorer, trader, bounty hunter...) and cosmetics. This only really beginns to appeal IF you can invite fellow Commanders over for a visit, showing off with unique trophies and furniture, mounted Ganker Thargoid heads or whatever. Essentially you would progress through "bigger houses" by buying bigger ships, with the FC being the biggest compensator house to buy.

But other than that, I agree with you that there is little actual gameplay need for walking (floating!) in ships in Elite. I'm not interested in Boarding PVP/PVE gameplay in the slighest and all other actions can be done faster and with less clicks from the commander's chair on the bridge.

Lol, you realize you're still playing Elite? Where you have to press 'J' and watch a loading screen every 30 seconds if you want to go somewhere?

As for "what even to do on foot?" feel free to read any of the 391,853 answers to that question on this forum. Writing a reply each time gets exhausting after the first couple of thousand times.

Top Bottom