Warp to a planet/belt/station as you would a star

I believe it would be a great feature to plot courses using items selected on system map as landmarks if at least for the final destination in plotting a course if not all the waypoints. I don't see why you should have to warp to a star all the time as a landmark. For example, if I am a miner, I could warp my ship to the planet instead of the star. This also helps with being a little more covert as well ... as people will wait by the sun to interdict you or harrass you in general and this would make them have to try a bit harder as people can come in at any celestial body within a system. Maybe even directly to a station.. but I don't know how that would effect the game in general.

I'm all for being able to select stations or other celestial objects as your final destination for an interstellar journey but I disagree with your idea that you should be able to exit hyperspace there instead of the star.

Having the star as a landmark makes perfect sense because it's by far the largest object in a system, it's a fixed point in space and all other bodies revolve around it. Given that it would be difficult for the Nav Computer to determine the exact position of another object within a system from a distance of several light years and there would be the danger of ending up inside the star instead.

I'm all for being able to select stations or other celestial objects as your final destination for an interstellar journey but I disagree with your idea that you should be able to exit hyperspace there instead of the star.

Having the star as a landmark makes perfect sense because it's by far the largest object in a system, it's a fixed point in space and all other bodies revolve around it. Given that it would be difficult for the Nav Computer to determine the exact position of another object within a system from a distance of several light years and there would be the danger of ending up inside the star instead.

Well, what if you had NAV data on that system? That is pretty much what I was thinking is that this is somewhere you visit frequently that you mine at or travel, so you should be able to make calculations differently as with that NAV data you can determine how fast celestial bodies move around others and how fast the star moves through the galaxy etc.. and make a warp to coordinate.

Implementing this feature would severely impact piracy as a playstyle, thus it won't be implemented.

Stars will probably always remain the only landmarks you can jump to. There was talk about in-system warp to secondary or tertiary stars in binary or trinary systems, though... to make missions to stations like Hutton Orbital actually possible.

Not going to happen for the reason pointed out above, kills piracy dead.

However jumping between stars as long as there is a minimum allowable jump distance of perhaps a light day (86,400ls) would actually be a boost to piracy as it would reduce the amount of time traders are zipping along at a far too high speed to be safely interdicted, the time saved there would be spent flying slower when they could be interdicted. It's perversely better for traders too because although they have a higher risk of interdiction they would be able to make more trips in a given duration compensating for any extra losses. Explorers would really benefit from this as spending 20 minutes or so to scan a star and a couple of planets gets just a bit tedious after a while.

However jumping between stars as long as there is a minimum allowable jump distance of perhaps a light day (86,400ls) would actually be a boost to piracy as it would reduce the amount of time traders are zipping along at a far too high speed to be safely interdicted, the time saved there would be spent flying slower when they could be interdicted. It's perversely better for traders too because although they have a higher risk of interdiction they would be able to make more trips in a given duration compensating for any extra losses. Explorers would really benefit from this as spending 20 minutes or so to scan a star and a couple of planets gets just a bit tedious after a while.

I'm not following you.

I think the better option would be to exit hyperspace as close as 10,000ls from the destination, some systems are designed so poorly that when you arrive in the system, you have 100,000ls or higher to get to a station, that is just too far in my opinion, i think as a solution, you should be able to choose which star you travel to when you hyperspace there.

For example, the starting system when you leave, you can just hyperspace out, but when you need to dock at a station, you need to travel from Star-2 to the stations orbiting star-1 and that is 100,000ls atleast, the way i see it, if you can hyperspace out from any location in the system, then you should be able to hyperspace into any location in the destination system.

When it comes to piracy, i have been pirated by the AI ships just 5.99Mm from the destination....so it is possible to do an interdiction with a 10,000ls distance.

I'm not following you.

This makes perfect sense actually. Let me try to give you an example: A trader is going to Alpha Centauri to buy those rare goods. Now that system is a binary star system and the station is orbiting a planet at Proxima Centauri which is like 1/4 ly away from Alpha. At the moment it takes the trader about 50 mins to get there and he will reach a max speed of >1500c on his way. Would you dare to interdict him at this speed?

Now imagine we would be able to do a hyperjump to Proxima (though I would advocate that you can only do a jump to a secondary star when you're in the system already). If I were to do piracy I wouldn't have to bother following the trader all the way but could just camp Proxima and wait for the traders to exit hyperspace there.

Hope this helps clarify things ;)

Btw, I also think there should ba a minimum distance between the stars to enable a hyperjump and it should be pretty high (>500,000 ls)

jumping intrasystem to another big mass (star) would be ok imho......but not to jump to every location in a system. this would render interdictions pointless because not possible

No, for all the same reasons above.

Why do we really have to make things easier for pirates? I would think that it would be even more important to maintain realism in the game. It's a weird limitation to only be able to exit hyperspace right in front of a star... to the point of effecting the realism of the game.

Lol, yes, let's throw an entire playstyle under the bus in the name of "realism". Man, remind me what FTL drive NASA developed lately? I can't seem to recall.

"Why do we really have to make things easier for Traders? I would think that it would be even more important to maintain realism in the game. It's a weird request to want to be able to exit hyperspace right in front of a station... to the point of effecting the realism of the game."

Your sentence is meaningless.

Lol, yes, let's throw an entire playstyle under the bus in the name of "realism". Man, remind me what FTL drive NASA developed lately? I can't seem to recall.

"Why do we really have to make things easier for Traders? I would think that it would be even more important to maintain realism in the game. It's a weird request to want to be able to exit hyperspace right in front of a station... to the point of effecting the realism of the game."

Your sentence is meaningless.

Well this is why I in my first posting did not sound too sure about the station thing. I mentioned other high mass objects such as planets. Maybe only gas giants if we are going to say it's because of super massive objects. If a pirate has to watch the habits of a potential victim and see if he uses gas giants, he may be able to gank the guy next time if he figures out his route. It just means pirates have to work a little harder to get their target. Personally I don't really care about player pirates.. I play on solo or with my group.

This is not a anti pirate post or something.. Maybe they can disable this feature for open play? But I would like to exit hyperspace where I choose because of there was FTL drive I'm 100% sure you could. lol. But I'd guess in a pvp environment.. if you want to make it easier for the pirates who will certainly cry about it then sure leave it alone in open play.

I'll just wait for star citizen to do it properly and play that when it comes out ;)

lol, I don't think the reason why we are exiting hyperspace right in front of the star in fuel scoop range is because of the limitations of FTL as a method of propulsion. I would think it is just a navigational issue. And FYI FTL is NOT a completely fantasy idea, NASA and other private contractors have been investigating warp drive for years, which is "FTL" and it does not depend on being close to a star to shut down a warp bubble... That's what I mean by realism. FTL practically in theory is a real idea with real physics behind it and if this game is going to have a FTL drive in it .. it should let you plot your course in 3D space.

http://www.themarysue.com/man-building-warp-drive-maybe/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/b/302f247f-f552-4635-bbcf-a2fdea72d818

there are many many more articles on the reality of FTL theory.

Another interesting video by Dave Peres -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX0Nx6Dk8DE

Last edited:
Implementing this feature would severely impact piracy as a playstyle, thus it won't be implemented.

Stars will probably always remain the only landmarks you can jump to. There was talk about in-system warp to secondary or tertiary stars in binary or trinary systems, though... to make missions to stations like Hutton Orbital actually possible.

This mechanics will also mean that pirate can travel faster and cover a larger distance to find ships that stays in one spot more often than not ... I see this mechanics

actually boosting piracy.

On the other hand.

I think that hyperspace onto the star should always be the case if you do not have the scanned down information about the system. So if

you are entering the system for the first time ... you can only warp onto the star. But as you gather detail scanned information about the

system ... your ship will then be able to warp to a specific location in that particular system.

And yes I agree about the threshold of 1 light day.

I'll just wait for star citizen to do it properly and play that when it comes out ;)

You may think it's a threat, but the truth is you make a lot of enemy saying that XD. And by the way by the time star citizen is out

it would have passed it's glory ... to slow and too much have to go into the development of the game. Do you understand the scope

of work they need to undertake and the amount of bugs they need to catch ... lets say it will take about 10years at the minimum.

Last edited:
The Frameshift Drive is not real and is not based in "realism" and all attempts to force it to conform to "realism" are misguided or disingenuous. Your preconceptions about a purely imaginary device have no basis in the Real.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

This mechanics will also mean that pirate can travel faster and cover a larger distance to find ships that stays in one spot more often than not ... I see this mechanics

actually boosting piracy.
It has nothing to do with travel time. Traders would simply jump immediately from one station to another, remaining in Supercruise for all of the two seconds it takes to Safely Disengage. They would never be anywhere but within spitting range of a Station. THAT is what is meant by "kills piracy".

The Frameshift Drive is not real and is not based in "realism" and all attempts to force it to conform to "realism" are misguided or disingenuous. Your preconceptions about a purely imaginary device have no basis in the Real.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

It has nothing to do with travel time. Traders would simply jump immediately from one station to another, remaining in Supercruise for all of the two seconds it takes to Safely Disengage. They would never be anywhere but within spitting range of a Station. THAT is what is meant by "kills piracy".

If that is the case, then pirates who depend on killing traders that warp to stars are out of the job. Pirate something else?

I was thinking in the case where piracy would most likely be targeted at miners instead of traders. Of cos then frontier need to address the issue

and create a device where pirates can track trader location and such a black market device would be a way to hunt and pirate from traders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom