We break the game ourselves!

My advice to people who complain about the mining "exploit" is to mine in the void like I am. Even in an LTD hotspot I only got 20 tons of LTD's. So I moved on, mining now is just another string to an explorers bow when you see a hotspot in a ring you have just scanned. Fly back to the carrier and fire up the minathon.

Basically there are two kinds of PC games:

1. Games, in which infinite amount of money / resources doesn't make playing any less interesting. Sometimes even, on the contrary, it makes playing even more engaging and fun. Examples of such games are Eve Online, Guild Wars 2.

2. Games, in which gaining big enough (and moreover, infinite) amount of money / resources makes any further playing absolutely meaningless and dull, except when the same primitive and repetitive actions make one happy. Example of such games are Elite Dangerous, ETS2.

In terms of game design, games of first kind are brilliant, while games of second kind are ugly (even when being in an eye-candy wrap).
Horses for courses...
Plus, of course, a matter of interpretation as to what makes 'engaging' gameplay... I gather a few odd folk actually enjoy flying a spreadsheet and calling it a game, over even spending vast amounts of real-world cash on a piece of alpha software's .jpg content...

Takes all kinds to play and enjoy all kinds of games... Isn't it absolutely spiffing that we are individuals and not just boring clones?

Deleted member 38366

D
I have a theory :

"it doesn't even matter"

How/Why?

The current build of the Game has reached an almost impossible-to-maintain condition and FDev is essentially about to abandon this build.
New Era has a chance to put everything onto fresh footing and introduce a new Economy together with an entirely new code base.

So while the lack of flexibility (even minor code changes have deep, undocumented dependencies and introduce bugs) make it look like the Galaxy has reached a breaking point, all of this might very well be fully intentional - since it doesn't matter anymore at this point.

After all, the current Gold Rush (Mining) has fundamentally been in place since ~1.5 years now. I'd say that qualifies as "Working as Intended".
More wealth for Players, more Carriers, more Store purchases, more active Players.
Yeah, I could see how all this works together.
Might not look shiny but there "might" be a plan (New Era) attached to it. (if not lol.... well then all bets are off ;) )

I simply cannot understand, why people waste their reallife time to do things they do not like (!) in a game? That is ridiculuous.
Here is why: Rewards are so unbalanced doing anything else besides mining or tritium hauling could make a player feel stupid. Ideally a player could choose an activity he likes, the game would challenge him according to his skills, a bit more at times and rewards him accordingly.
In ED you could be the best Thargoid killer, but you would barely even make any profit at all. This design does not make sense in the context of game mechanics as well as lore and story.

@FalconFly: Yes, the gold rushes are by design, it has been confirmed by FDev.
My guess is, they wanted the players to use new mining mechanics, in order to get a FC.

Last edited:
In ED you could be the best Thargoid killer, but you would barely even make any profit at all...
This is true - it took me a while to go from overall loss to tiny profit just shooting scouts... I don't understand exactly why fighting the 'invaders' isn't actively encouraged if they are supposed to be a tangible threat to galactic peace and harmony 🤷‍♂️

Here is why: Rewards are so unbalanced doing anything else besides mining or tritium hauling could make a player feel stupid. Ideally a player could choose an activity he likes, the game would challenge him according to his skills, a bit more at times and rewards him accordingly.
In ED you could be the best Thargoid killer, but you would barely even make any profit at all. This design does not make sense in the context of game mechanics as well as lore and story.
So then you're playing for credits & credits alone.......the reward, whatever it is, whatever for, is only one small part of a whole activity. If you're not enjoying that activity then the end point (reward as credits) is irrelevent. Enjoy the activity & you're not bothered what the reward is........probably why ED is the ONLY paid for game that I've played for over 5 continuous years

Is this game/sim a race to make as many credits as possible? FDev created a 1:1 representation of the MIlky Way so we as the users could make credits, really? There is no "finish" line and spoiler, there is no end of level baddie.
[dry sarcastic ooj]On a tangent thought, this is really so good, we have intolerance, we have money problems, we have unfair behaviour, this sim is superb.[/dry sarcastic ooj]

Credits aren't wealth, manufactored materials are wealth.

Mine to buy stuff, then get on the real grind :LOL: That shiny new Cutter won't engineer itself you know!

I now have almost 2000 hours of playing time in this game. But I've never felt so insignificant. The carriers bring something new. But they are far from being well thought out either. Role management must be introduced here!

Activities other than mining must finally make sense again. You have to reward accordingly!

The thing that concerns me is that, with the arrival of Odyssey, we might gain the ability to build surface-bases and they might "raise the bar" once again in regard to how many credits a player needs to earn.

I'd hate to think that a player's career-path in ED ends up having to be mining >>> fleet-carrier >>> surface-base if they want to play with all the available toys.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel a bit pessemistic about the whole thing.
There's been "gold rushes" in the past but they were always temporary abberations.
We've had nu-mining for two years, though, and it's become glaringly obvious that there's a gigantic discrepancy between the income from mining and every other activity but FDev haven't changed anything.
That suggests, to me, that they want mining to be the way to earn credits (maybe rooted in the idea that it was new content and they wanted players to use it?) and everything else is inconsequential.

Said it before but, instead of nerfing gold-rushes FDev should have developed them.
Turn them into a valid career path, whereby every activity will yield massive rewards if the BGS meets specific conditions.
Combat pilots can earn billions when there's specific conditions involving wars, traders can earn billions when there's specific economic conditions and a similar thing for passenger ships and explorers too.
Make it so players have to use their knowledge and experience to locate these opportunities or even do stuff to change the BGS states deliberately.

Basically there are two kinds of PC games:

1. Games, in which infinite amount of money / resources doesn't make playing any less interesting. Sometimes even, on the contrary, it makes playing even more engaging and fun. Examples of such games are Eve Online, Guild Wars 2.

2. Games, in which gaining big enough (and moreover, infinite) amount of money / resources makes any further playing absolutely meaningless and dull, except when the same primitive and repetitive actions make one happy. Example of such games are Elite Dangerous, ETS2.

In terms of game design, games of first kind are brilliant, while games of second kind are ugly (even when being in an eye-candy wrap).

Haha, spreadsheet simulator FTW..

Activities other than mining must finally make sense again. You have to reward accordingly!
Fully agree, only argument I got against it was something in the lines of it's fun therefore your reward is fun, as if it's a valid argument.

Credits aren't wealth, manufactored materials are wealth.
Pretty much this, you can have credits and buy the carrier that's essentially just a tool, however unengineered ship is not even in the same class as engineered one.
That's why I hope they never introduce a method to convert credits into mats, however I would like them to improve on material gathering methods.

Said it before but, instead of nerfing gold-rushes FDev should have developed them.
Turn them into a valid career path
Community goals could have been a good opportunity to make gold rushes similar to what mining earns today.

There is no asset in game that requires anyone to do that 'Best' method until their eyes start bleeding. I just don't get it. People saying they need 20+ billion for carriers, why?

I have briefly dabbled with the various best methods. Rest of the time I mix up playtime. If others want to OCD over one thing, fine. It doesn't affect my play style.
It's certainly not required to do the best thing, but the satisfaction of doing a task is (for many people) undermined when you know you could have earned a far greater reward for the same time / effort doing something else. "But I'm doing it for the fun of the activity, not the payout!", you might say. That's all well and good, but for people that are more goal-oriented, it can be difficult to ignore the poor rewards (relatively speaking) of other tasks.

It's certainly not required to do the best thing, but the satisfaction of doing a task is (for many people) undermined when you know you could have earned a far greater reward for the same time / effort doing something else. "But I'm doing it for the fun of the activity, not the payout!", you might say. That's all well and good, but for people that are more goal-oriented, it can be difficult to ignore the poor rewards (relatively speaking) of other tasks.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, in a game that was usually described as a "space trading simulator", when trading is relegated to being a novelty activity... along with combat and exploration.

My advice to people who complain about the mining "exploit" is to mine in the void like I am. Even in an LTD hotspot I only got 20 tons of LTD's. So I moved on, mining now is just another string to an explorers bow when you see a hotspot in a ring you have just scanned. Fly back to the carrier and fire up the minathon.

Why not just explore in the mining ship? It's not like you need jump range, a fuel scoop, AFMUs or hull repair limpets any more, since a carrier replaces all of those things. The best exploration ship is now a mining-rigged Cutter.

Welcome to the era of minesploration.

Why not just explore in the mining ship? It's not like you need jump range, a fuel scoop, AFMUs or hull repair limpets any more, since a carrier replaces all of those things. The best exploration ship is now a mining-rigged Cutter.

Welcome to the era of minesploration.

Am currently finding the best exploration ship is the Sidewinder. I go back and switch ships if I need to do some work with a more capable ship.

Top Bottom