We lost a lot of Commanders today!

Honestly, to me, Odyssey loos like the worst release of from FD and it is definitly in the top ten of the worst release of all games!
Apparently you are either quite young or have not been gaming very long. I would put it in the top 50-100 maybe, but definitely not the top ten worst releases. There have been some pretty bad releases over the past 20 years, of which many of those games didn't even make it. There were also plenty of "good" releases, but it turned out those games had zero content past the first week, and those died as well, so technically those were incredibly bad releases as well, since those games didn't even make it.

Odyssey on the other hand, while mostly unplayable for a few weeks, still had Horizons for everyone to play, so it wasn't like anyone was forced to just sit and cool their heels until FDEV fixed the game, you could literally just enjoy the same game you had been playing all along until the got Odyssey running well enough to play. Myself personally, I played Horizons, then when update 4 came out I gave Odyssey another shot, it was ok... update 5 though, made it completely playable and enjoyable for me at least, and haven't gone back to Horizons since. The one exception was to farm some raw mats, which for reasons unknown, they removed the good spots for those from Odyssey and I wanted to fill my inventory. Yeah they still have a lot of work to do, but even in it's current state, its pretty fun to play, especially if you avoid the buggy or frustrating bits, like finding Opinion Polls.

Apparently you are either quite young or have not been gaming very long. I would put it in the top 50-100 maybe, but definitely not the top ten worst releases. There have been some pretty bad releases over the past 20 years, of which many of those games didn't even make it. There were also plenty of "good" releases, but it turned out those games had zero content past the first week, and those died as well, so technically those were incredibly bad releases as well, since those games didn't even make it.

Odyssey on the other hand, while mostly unplayable for a few weeks, still had Horizons for everyone to play, so it wasn't like anyone was forced to just sit and cool their heels until FDEV fixed the game, you could literally just enjoy the same game you had been playing all along until the got Odyssey running well enough to play. Myself personally, I played Horizons, then when update 4 came out I gave Odyssey another shot, it was ok... update 5 though, made it completely playable and enjoyable for me at least, and haven't gone back to Horizons since. The one exception was to farm some raw mats, which for reasons unknown, they removed the good spots for those from Odyssey and I wanted to fill my inventory. Yeah they still have a lot of work to do, but even in it's current state, its pretty fun to play, especially if you avoid the buggy or frustrating bits, like finding Opinion Polls.
I am a lep with over 3000 hr.

I was expecting a full playable game not a bug mess: the horrible perfomance (update 5 introduced lag stuttering in Cz on foot), mission broken, obejct no spawned making impossible to complete a mission, horrible fps drop in settlement (i7 with gtx 1080 and 32 gb), ridiculus grind loop, dss (to me) completly not understable, and so on. No to mention the misleading trailer.

It's definitly the biggest failure of Fd and the 20% on steam is well deserved and earned (with a bit of patience I am sure they can hit the 2.8%).

What a shame.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Why? if you don't like certain posts, skip them? And, it would appear a least one forum moderator like to be kept up to dat with the numbers.
Actually I was pointing out that the OP has cherry picked the worst possible figures form the worst possible time they could find, and since then has not bothered to provide updates to substantiate their point.
Presumably because they can't find anything to substantiate their point.

Actually I was pointing out that the OP has cherry picked the worst possible figures form the worst possible time they could find, and since then has not bothered to provide updates to substantiate their point.
Presumably because they can't find anything to substantiate their point.
Cherry picking works both ways. Claiming that the number of people playing the game regularly has dropped significantly since the launch of Odyssey is pretty well supported by the numbers. I have a similar feeling when I occasionally visit this forum these days. As someone who love ED I find that somewhat of a problem. If I was FDev management I would find it difficult to interpret those numbers optimistically.

On a positive note: When you see the numbers rising historically, it has been when something new and exciting was added to the game. In this case it just dropped back to below before the launch very quickly (I wonder why). The recipe to save the game should be pretty straight forward: Fix it. By that I mean fix the obvious bugs, but also someone in charge has to evaluate whether the decisions taken were good. That, in this case, seems like having the wolf guard the sheep.

Cherry picking works both ways. Claiming that the number of people playing the game regularly has dropped significantly since the launch of Odyssey is pretty well supported by the numbers. I have a similar feeling when I occasionally visit this forum these days. As someone who love ED I find that somewhat of a problem. If I was FDev management I would find it difficult to interpret those numbers optimistically.

On a positive note: When you see the numbers rising historically, it has been when something new and exciting was added to the game. In this case it just dropped back to below before the launch very quickly (I wonder why). The recipe to save the game should be pretty straight forward: Fix it. By that I mean fix the obvious bugs, but also someone in charge has to evaluate whether the decisions taken were good. That, in this case, seems like having the wolf guard the sheep.

The drop below previous figures can at least partly be explained by the lockdown - the 2020 figures were probably bumped up a far bit by the number of people stuck at home (much shorter commute to work & back = more free time to play). A month on month comparison with 2019 doesn't look so bad.

I agree there is confirmation bias either way though, people see what they want to see :)

Frontier will surely have wanted to see more people playing, for the prestige if nothing else but their revenue for ED comes from new sales (of the base game and / or DLCs), player retention (or player happiness) helps boost cosmetic sales though.

That should mean that once FDev are confident players will be happy to play Odyssey (and recommend it to others & on steam reviews) a marketing drive should be able to get new customers in, and existing customers may come back too.

IMO the thing that will 'kill' ED (assuming FDev don't just switch off the servers) is a competing product that persuades players that discount or discard ED to not return at all. Making ED a worse game would lower the bar for a competing product to achieve that of course.

The drop below previous figures can at least partly be explained by the lockdown - the 2020 figures were probably bumped up a far bit by the number of people stuck at home (much shorter commute to work & back = more free time to play). A month on month comparison with 2019 doesn't look so bad.

I agree there is confirmation bias either way though, people see what they want to see :)

Frontier will surely have wanted to see more people playing, for the prestige if nothing else but their revenue for ED comes from new sales (of the base game and / or DLCs), player retention (or player happiness) helps boost cosmetic sales though.

That should mean that once FDev are confident players will be happy to play Odyssey (and recommend it to others & on steam reviews) a marketing drive should be able to get new customers in, and existing customers may come back too.

IMO the thing that will 'kill' ED (assuming FDev don't just switch off the servers) is a competing product that persuades players that discount or discard ED to not return at all. Making ED a worse game would lower the bar for a competing product to achieve that of course.
Have a look at the numbers again. I do not see the pandemic having much of an effect. I see FCs, alphas etc. causing spikes, but Odyssey, being the "biggest update" for a long time, clearly didn't make it.

Speaking of: I'm a VR player, so I've started playing other games. Yesterday, I downloaded a whopper of an update (40+ GB) for MSFS 2020, and when I fly around the World and look at all the details, in 4K VR, I find the performance of Odyssey even more pathetic. Hopefully up6 ("this week") will fix some of that. At least, that's what I read FDev claim. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, or in this case a multitude of times, the shame is on me. With FDev, I'll believe anything they claim, once I see it.

200.gif

Top Bottom