Weird question - delete/supress an animal?

Ok, so, I have a phobia of one of the animals in the game, to the point that it is unpleasant even to type its name. No, its not one of the common ones.

Is it possible to remove an animal from my setup? Delete a file, edit something?

Or, would there be support for a suggestion of making animals individually opt-outable from within the game?

I know its a niche request, but its ruining my game experience a bit, browsing the animal trade table stresses me out! :cry:

PS: I cant explain it, its irrational, thats the definition of a phobia. Even though the animal is completely non-threatening in any way, I have a visceral reaction even if I catch a glimpse of this animal out of the corner of my eye, same as if you saw a car barreling out of control towards you out of the corner of your eye. Thats the best way I can describe it.

Last edited:
I know its bad, but I am super curious as to what the animal is that you have a phobia of. Especially if its not a common one people are phobic of.

It would be nice for people who have phobias to have this option. Like in Skyrim there was a mod that turned all the spiders in to bears, which was hilarious and effective. And in House Flipper they have an option to turn all bugs into piles of glass.

It would be nice for people who have phobias to have this option. Like in Skyrim there was a mod that turned all the spiders in to bears, which was hilarious and effective. And in House Flipper they have an option to turn all bugs into piles of glass.

I'm all for making games more accessible, especially for folks with severe phobias. I don't have any animal phobias myself, but I have others and know how completely debilitating they can be. I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on PZ because their brain is a jerk.

It's a shame Frontier has no plans to open the game up to full mods.

Its slugs and snails. I said it was irrational!

I know about exposure therapy, but to be honest, it doesnt come up all that often, and there are many different hells I would prefer to that...

It had to be a giant species didnt it... if you surprised me with your "weird new pet" and brought one of those out to meet me, my freakout would be....well, itd be something. Pure fight or flight, with a pinch of panic. Naturally, the game version does not quite have that effect, Im not talking like its absolute torture to see it, it registers as mild phobic-flavoured unpleasantness. Still not exactly what you want sprinkled randomly through your game time.

To be fair, it cannot be an issue that comes up often in games design!

PS: thanks all! This is the internet, so I was obviously bracing myself for worse ;)

Last edited:
I mean if its just the snail you could probably avoid it by a) not using exhibit animals or b) using the filters to bypass it. Otherwise there's not much you can do, messing around with deleting files is likely to lead to breaking your game.

I'm all for making games more accessible, especially for folks with severe phobias. I don't have any animal phobias myself, but I have others and know how completely debilitating they can be. I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on PZ because their brain is a jerk.

It's a shame Frontier has no plans to open the game up to full mods.
Thought that too by all the spiders, scorpions and bugs - even in most horror games you can change that to something different. I understand it can trigger phobias for some people.

Wow that's such an interesting phobia, I can totally get it! I seriously hope they add a feature that would help you out, was very surprised to see that it didn't exist already what with all the different spider species in the game. Messing about with the filters is probably your best chance although it does take a bit of time every time you go into the menu and you'd still see the name of the animal. Avoiding exhibits is another option. Remember that the animal trade menus are completely seperate between normal animals and small exhibit animals so if you stick to big animals I don't think you'd ever see one of the smaller ones. Also, I have not seen the animal you've mentioned in any of the pre-built zoos in career mode (I'm at level 9, the Nevada desert one).

🤔 or just a option to leave the picture of a animal, you might be afraid off, plain... without a picture there would stil be the kind of animal named (for example in the market) but without the picture, I guess it would be much better already.

Because people get in fear of different kind of animals, there should be a option to plain a picture of a animal out by choise... so not only spiders and soon... maybe for some people even a springbok could be scary and they should become a chance so they won't have to see it. This option should be available for every animal I mean.
Not sure, but I think the programming of that option is easier (to make a picture white out) then to make the game "deleting" some animals.

Replacing the picture would work like a charm. Its not like Im going to choose to have them in my zoo...

Seems like a solution would require intervention by the devs though at this point.

Im very glad that my phobia is niche, it would be much worse if it was certain birds or spiders, theres way more of those in the game...

I wonder - are agoraphobic (complex category that includes fear of wide open spaces) people affected by the representation of wide open space in games like this?

Replacing the picture would work like a charm. Its not like Im going to choose to have them in my zoo...

Seems like a solution would require intervention by the devs though at this point.
I think it is only required to find out where the Icon is safed and then create a Picture that has the same Size and Format and then overwrite the Icon with the new Picture

I think it is only required to find out where the Icon is safed and then create a Picture that has the same Size and Format and then overwrite the Icon with the new Picture
Interesting thought 🤔😄... so it already would help if people knew where they can change it I think, very good idea, if the devs can tell us where and give us the option to change it like that. Think it's difficult to find a specific icon on your own if you would need to... to implement it somehow still would be easier to use for most people. It's a very good idea if there is no way to implement it.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I get not wanting to have to confront a fear when you are just playing a game. My partner has a severe blood/needle/medical phobia. At it's worst he passes out and has convulsions and feels sick the rest of the entire day. Fortunately, over time and exposure it has gotten better but it will always be there and plenty of games have blood and gore 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ You are under no obligation to work through this phobia and your feelings of just wanting to enjoy a game are totally valid.

I will say as someone who has intense phobias and as someone who loves people with intense phobias, that avoidance almost always makes the issue worse. Avoiding the thing you are phobic of tells your brain that the fear is real, thus confirming the fear and increasing it. I still avoid some of my fears a lot of the time but knowing this helps me confront them sometimes and make them less intense.

while I personally don’t have any fears of the animals in game, I am kind of interested in this thread. I would like to have seen a Dev response on this.
Surely they could have/should have added a setting to “hide” all of an animal. Sort of like the filter in the animal market, just it hides the animal from all markets of the game.

Top Bottom