Newcomer / Intro What about "legacy" and "live" account

Hello,

Sorry I don't find any thread in the forum about this.

Since a few months we have the options to play :

Elite Dangerous : Odyssey
Elite Dangerous : Horizons
Legacy Horizons
Legacy Elite Dangerous

I would like to take the legacy mode as a sandbox and start a new cmdr.
But I'm wondering... If I can start a new Cmdr in Legacy AND Keep my current Cmdr in the Elite Dangerous : xxxxxx mode ?
Or should I also restart a new Cmdr in the Odyssey mode if I do that ?
Of course, I don't want to loose my modules (guardians/pre-eng)

Thanks a lot ;)
Fly Safe

o7

Legacy and live Cmdrs are independent, there have been a few threads confirming this e.g.

Last edited:
As been said, Legacy and Live are 2 independent games now, each with their own save and their own galaxy.

Nothing you do in Legacy will affect your Live Commander/Save
Nothing you do in Live will affect your Legacy Commander/Save

Thanks a lot guys I'm more confident now. 'cause like I said some "CG gifted modules" aren't obtainable from another way (detailed surface scanner/...)

I'll start another one as soon as I come back home.

FWIW, you can buy a preengineered surface scanner and it's better than engineering your own. Don't know if they had even better ones in some past CG?

As been said, Legacy and Live are 2 independent games now, each with their own save and their own galaxy.

Nothing you do in Legacy will affect your Live Commander/Save
Nothing you do in Live will affect your Legacy Commander/Save
So all the stars and planets I discovered close to Sol with Legacy, aren't labelled as my discoverys in the new galaxy? thats a shame. First time I've posted here in years, stopped playing Elite ages ago and now I've got a new PC thinking of getting back into it again, but I guess I'm gonna have to purchase the game all over again :D

Is there some upgrade option to purchase Odyssey if we're an original Elite Dangerous purchaser?

So all the stars and planets I discovered close to Sol with Legacy, aren't labelled as my discoverys in the new galaxy? thats a shame. First time I've posted here in years, stopped playing Elite ages ago and now I've got a new PC thinking of getting back into it again, but I guess I'm gonna have to purchase the game all over again :D

Is there some upgrade option to purchase Odyssey if we're an original Elite Dangerous purchaser?
The galaxy is not new in Odyssey, it was duplicated from Legacy. All your discoveries are there. Those two galaxies evolve separately now. The planetary tech has changed, no more deep canyons/ high mountains.
You only have to buy Odyssey if you want on-foot gameplay, the Horizons base game has the new tech option in the launcher, alongside Legacy. Welcome back, cmdr.

So all the stars and planets I discovered close to Sol with Legacy, aren't labelled as my discoverys in the new galaxy? thats a shame.

No. They're still there. Before the split there was a single galaxy (and a single commander save)

Last November along with U14 launch - the galaxy was copied and split (forked) in two: Legacy and Live - each with their own save
Your discoveries from the galaxy pre-U14 are present in both Live and Legacy.
However if after the split you played only in Live (or Legacy fwiw), your post-U14 discoveries will be present only in the Live (or Legacy if you played only there), but not in Both.

No. They're still there. Before the split there was a single galaxy (and a single commander save)

Last November along with U14 launch - the galaxy was copied and split (forked) in two: Legacy and Live - each with their own save
Your discoveries from the galaxy pre-U14 are present in both Live and Legacy.
However if after the split you played only in Live (or Legacy fwiw), your post-U14 discoveries will be present only in the Live (or Legacy if you played only there), but not in Both.
Ahh excellent, thanks! I haven't played since the split so they should all be there then :)

The galaxy is not new in Odyssey, it was duplicated from Legacy. All your discoveries are there. Those two galaxies evolve separately now. The planetary tech has changed, no more deep canyons/ high mountains.
You only have to buy Odyssey if you want on-foot gameplay, the Horizons base game has the new tech option in the launcher, alongside Legacy. Welcome back, cmdr.
The version of the game I used was the very earliest launcher, pre-horizon I think, which I dont think could even install or have access to even for legacy if I wanted to, I can't see any file download options in my account anyways so I guess I'm going to have to purchase at least 1 new version of the game to get going again,hopefully it'll still work on my existing username/account. Thanks cmdr :cool:

The version of the game I used was the very earliest launcher, pre-horizon I think, which I dont think could even install or have access to even for legacy if I wanted to, I can't see any file download options in my account anyways so I guess I'm going to have to purchase at least 1 new version of the game to get going again,hopefully it'll still work on my existing username/account. Thanks cmdr :cool:

Just download the installer direct

- that's the official location - then install, log in and validate via your email address.

Translated...
I don't understand the whole thing the more I read more destroyed I am. I've been playing Elite Dangerous Legacy Horizon all the time, then the Elite Dangerous Horizon mode and the Odissey mode don't seem to exist and the parts are so far all independently playable only bite on the odissey mode because you can continue to play together with Horizen players but sharing the stuff from the odissey is that right? And is it now so when I play Elite Dangerous Horizon that there is the Odissey addon available as an extension if you own it or it is a separate part? Please help me out because I can't find a clear answer anywhere.I don't understand the whole thing the more I read more destroyed I am. I've been playing Elite Dangerous Legacy Horizon all the time, then the Elite Dangerous Horizon mode and the Odissey mode don't seem to exist and the parts are so far all independently playable only bite on the odissey mode because you can continue to play together with Horizen players but sharing the stuff from the odissey is that right? And is it now so when I play Elite Dangerous Horizon that there is the Odissey addon available as an extension if you own it or it is a separate part? Please help me out because I can't find a clear answer anywhere.

Legacy is Horizons 3.8 with the older GUIs and will no longer be supported by Frontier with Community Goals and probably updates etc. It is now a separate game so progression will not be applied to the other versions.

Live is Horizons 4.0 with the new GUIs and will be supported. It does not have on foot play. Progression in Horizons 4.0 will be applied to Odyssey.

Odyssey adds on foot play, is supported, and progression is applied to Horizons 4.0. Wearing an Odyssey suit then switching to Horizons 4.0 will have interesting results but the player doesn't lose anything.

All player modes are still available and if you have joined any groups they are still there.

Translated
Legacy ist Horizons 3.8 mit den älteren GUIs und wird nicht mehr von Frontier mit Community-Zielen und wahrscheinlich Updates usw. unterstützt. Es ist jetzt ein separates Spiel, so dass der Fortschritt nicht auf die anderen Versionen angewendet wird. Live ist Horizons 4.0 mit den neuen GUIs und wird unterstützt. Es hat kein Spiel zu Fuß. Der Fortschritt in Horizons 4.0 wird auf Odyssey angewendet. Odyssey fügt Fußspiel hinzu, wird unterstützt und der Fortschritt wird auf Horizons 4.0 angewendet. Wenn Sie einen Odyssey-Anzug tragen und dann zu Horizons 4.0 wechseln, werden Sie interessante Ergebnisse erzielen, aber der Spieler verliert nichts. Alle Spielermodi sind weiterhin verfügbar und wenn Sie einer Gruppe beigetreten sind, sind sie immer noch da.

Hope this helps with an Internet we can talk to anyione using translators. As for where to find friends to play with it depends upon which version they are playing.

Translated
Hoffe, das hilft mit einem Internet, das wir mit jedem mit Übersetzern sprechen können. Wo man Freunde findet, mit denen man spielen kann, hängt davon ab, welche Version sie spielen.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom