General What about robots?

Considering today we send robots to Mars and have plans to send more to other planets in our solar system I'd like to think humanity in the future would develop more sophisticated robotic units that would aid in space travel.

Therefore, I find myself feeling there is something missing whilst floating through the cosmos and nebula of ED.

Give us some droids in the ships that's all I ask.

Not available to players, but there are Skimmers.
We have Limpets...
Your fighter/ship can fly without a pilot...

That being said the fact that we don't have too much things like droids is due to gameplay reasons - we're suppose to do most of the tasks manually.

What would you use those robots for?

Not available to players, but there are Skimmers.
We have Limpets...
Your fighter/ship can fly without a pilot...

That being said the fact that we don't have too much things like droids is due to gameplay reasons - we're suppose to do most of the tasks manually.

What would you use those robots for?
It's a good question and one I'd considered.

I open it up to everyone that reads this. What could you use a robot for in space (within your ship or outside) or on a planets surface?

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Come in no6 your time is up... oh.... Robots....

if you mean AI then it's not possible according to THE LOOOORE!!!

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, Robotic Drones could execute various tasks :

• act as Sensor Boosters (i.e. deployed from your Ship or SRV), increasing Sensor Range for a limited time
  • act as Remote Controlled Cameras (launched and manually controlled for stealth incursion)
  • act as decoys (produce false contact, either to mislead sensors or to distract incoming Missiles)
  • act as a Utility (i.e. deployed from an SRV, moving to and attaching to an uphill position and able to winch the SRV out of stuck places); or to scoop Cargo/Mats up from the ground and deliver them to your Ship (alternative to SRV back&forth), so that'd make them ground-based Collector Limpets
  • act as mini defense platforms (deployed around Ship or SRV to assist in defending it, a tad similar to Point Defenses)
  • act to safely investigate or interact with very hazardous environments
  • act as Utility carriers (we already have those as Limpets, i.e. to Repair or Refuel etc.)
  • act as Spies/Early Warning Sensors, i.e. sent into another nearby System to assess SuperCruise picture before jumping your Ship into it ; could be used by criminals or Bounty Hunters alike to assess the Situation
  • (debatable) A deployed probe to enable the often-asked ability to detect Players in the System or on Planets (= not in SuperCruise), IMHO would have to be very coarse and unprecise in order not to be able to directly pinpoint ; that one would likely have plenty who wouldn't like the idea

All those actions would be "primitives" and not require AI-like capabilities, so lore wouldn't rule them out.

• act as Spies/Early Warning Sensors, i.e. sent into another nearby System to assess SuperCruise picture before jumping your Ship into it ; could be used by criminals or Bounty Hunters alike to assess the Situation
Probe you would be able to launch from your ship wouldn't be (shouldn't be) hyperjump capable imho. FSD is too just too big.

But all those are nice ideas.

I would welcome the option to fit "skimmer bay" on my ship (or maybe rather SRV?) that would act as something like SLF on the ground. Operating on it's own with the option to remotely control it. Many of your ideas could work with that.

Top Bottom