What can we realistically expect next

Okay then, now is time for some predictions.
I say, no biome packs, atleast for now, with one simple reasoning:
The 3 seasons rule.

The 3 seasons rule is Mostly spoken of in the fighting game community, but can be applied to every game with waves of dlc.
Season 1 or the first wave sets the goal of primarly filling in what should have been there from the start. This applies quite well for planet zoo, as the first 4 packs literally included zoo mainstays and gave some whole continents and biomes their first propper baseline representation.
I would argue, that with the europe pack we finally have finished our season 1.

Season 2 is the wacky wave, bending the rules to include mostly more interesting and unorthodox charakters, that break the conventions and are mostly unexpected.
A good example is the second seasons pass for smash ultimate with only wild inclusions and playstyles, that were super hard to expect, with minecraft steve being the second dlc i think everybody no matter how much they know should see how this is pretty bonkers.

Finally, season 3 is the last wave, where must have charakters are included. They are less about whos the most interesting inclusion, which wave 2 was all about, but who would feel the worst getting left out?
This is where biome packs come in, which i feel like is the perfect way to round out the game with whats missing in the end, with only little restrictions.

As you might guess, i would say we are going into the whacky phase now and i have 5 in my opinion quite realistic guesses for this assumption.
Also its the time where developers are most likely to run into lots of bugs, as they bend the rules the most.
So, my guess is that our dlc will be along the line of 2 animal packs and 3 normal ones. The order of packs is mostly irrelevant, besides one exception.

First of, the Aviary pack. (8)
This certanly would be a whacky and buggy pack, that would introduce a whoule new game mechanic that can be used in later dlc.
I dont think i need to explain the appeal.

Then, the oceania pack. (7+1)
Might not sound as whacky, but i would want this sometimes after the aviary pack, as australia has 5 almost must have flying inclusions (cockatoo, kokaburra, budgie, bird of paradise, rainbow lorikeets) and 2 of them should come in this pack.
Add the emu and the kiwi and half the packs are birds!
Round it out with the tasmanian devil, a wallaby and a wombat or echidna and we have a great pack that breaks most conventions we had so far and add a very unique roster.

Next up is an arboreal pack (4+1), introducing 4 very unique climbing animals that challange the climbing system and an overall overhaul to it.
I would choose a gibbon, a sloth, a tree kangaroo and a squirrel.
For more details i made a thread about it a while ago, just search for it.

Next pack, next mechanic is a petting zoo pack (4+1), bringing guest animal interactions, feeders and domestic animals from around the world.
My picks would be an african dwarf goat, scottish highland cattle, vitnamese pot bellied pig and a larger breed of bunny like the rex.

Lastly is an inbetween pack, allowing the developers to take a breather from all these new mechanics and countless bugs to fix.
I would choose an island pack (4+1) as this could bring a nice and unique mix of architectures from around the world.
Unlike the other packs i didnt post a pack like this before with enough thought, but right now i feel like a fossa, anoa, hawaian goose and crocodile monitor would make for an enjoyable and varied pack, bringing us 4 wacky animals from 4 different islands.

And thats it.
I truly believe, biome packs allready would be pretty wastefull and i hope that all of us but especally frontier can be more creative then that, giving us one year of very fun dlc before starting the final laps.
This is very interesting and I think you could be onto something. I have no doubt in my mind after the Inclusion of the Bird Eggs and the addition of a new tree trunk and branches that they are definitely telling us Birds are coming. But we also have to consider that now we know the Europe files were legit the Capybara is in the files as well, and would need to fit in somehow to what I would imagine would be the second DLC of 2022

This is very interesting and I think you could be onto something. I have no doubt in my mind after the Inclusion of the Bird Eggs and the addition of a new tree trunk and branches that they are definitely telling us Birds are coming. But we also have to consider that now we know the Europe files were legit the Capybara is in the files as well, and would need to fit in somehow to what I would imagine would be the second DLC of 2022
(Rain)forests DLC, featuring animals like capybaras, Tasmanian devils, and gibbons... Wetlands, featuring animals like capybaras, manatees, red river hogs, Asian small clawed otter...

Ok, another question: what will the 1.8.1. patch have?

I noticed that, besides fixing a couple of bugs, the devs sometimes bring in new things to do, like animal remodels or adding tags...

Sharing this here as I found it interesting:
Sin título.png

What this data reflects, in my opinion, is that:
-The European pack brought almost as much PZ activity as the Aquatic pack (which was arguably the most rated pack and released just 1 year after PZ full-game).

-Leaving the Xmas boost aside, Scenery packs don't seem to be much more successful than Animal packs activity-wise (at least if you compare Africa pack with SEA or NA packs). Animal packs lead to a greater peak of activity, while scenery packs have a lower peak but much more prolongued activity afterwards.

-In general, PZ activity hasn't decreased much (if anything at all) throughout 2021.

Animal packs lead to a greater peak of activity, while scenery packs have a lower peak but much more prolongued activity afterwards.
I dont want to spoil fun, but that is enormous avantage on scenery pack side. Community engagement is more important than short term player count. This why games with low active player base often get long support, because product they play is enough engaging to spend a lot of time on it. Even frontier said for them most important part is how engaging is new PZ content for playerbase. Frontier wont stop creating scenery pack, because those are a bit more engaging and appeal to both sides of community.
-The European pack brought almost as much PZ activity as the Aquatic pack (which was arguably the most rated pack and released just 1 year after PZ full-game).
Europe pack supported by biggest price discount by far (75%!) and christmas. Game had huge player spike in late November and lot of player came before Europe pack announcement. I remember PZ being in top 50 bestsellers on steam during that time.
Also being released after 1 year is kinda disadvantage for Aquatic pack, since game had less content by that time. Still it got huge spike both on peak and engagement side. Compare it to Europe pack, which was released in time when players literally could buy base game + deluxe + 7 dlcs for release price. Nothing can come to raw numbers of aquatic pack.

Personally i wouldnt compare anything to South America and SEA packs. SA was to close to release and SEA pack was new format, which attracted more attention than usual. (+ look at that twitch stream number caused by charity streams; more players tried game.

TLDR: Aquatic pack still the best and nothing came close to its numbers by far. All dlcs are mostly equall with slight advantage in favor of scenery packs. Game doing good, definitely better than in 2020.

Last edited:
Now strictly talking about possibility of new content. Do you know that since October 2021 Kilian Schmitt is now our Full Game Designer working on Planet Zoo instead of being Graduate Game Designer? His responsibility according to his job description is to bring new content to the game in fast paced DLC cycle. Also research on new stuff (mainly animals) and designing features for base game. Concidence sine October, we got North American animal pack, anniversary update, Europe pack and now mysterious teaser. Maybe, because of his super vision and excellent design abilities we are getting so much lately.

Now strictly talking about possibility of new content. Do you know that since October 2021 Kilian Schmitt is now our Full Game Designer working on Planet Zoo instead of being Graduate Game Designer? His responsibility according to his job description is to bring new content to the game in fast paced DLC cycle. Also research on new stuff (mainly animals) and designing features for base game. Concidence sine October, we got North American animal pack, anniversary update, Europe pack and now mysterious teaser. Maybe, because of his super vision and excellent design abilities we are getting so much lately.
If this means we'll get something new every (other) month, I am super down for that.

3 month probably also can be considered "fast paced" to be fair. Honestly, with the amount of time it takes to build a beautiful zoo in this game (not complaining), besides the wish to always want something new and shiny, I felt almost overwhelmed last year. :D I'm still in for the "an animal a month" idea in addition to regular dlcs and long term after regular dlcs, but I would not read a change of development cycle into this.

Last edited:
I'm a bit torn. Still seems waaaay to early for teasing. But the ongoing story on social media is... weird? They should know they put fuel to the fire if it was just a social media filler.
And I don't know if you could really consider january "spring time", but the greenish leaf and grass layer on the waiting screen of the stream today also felt a bit odd.
I was thinking some kind of jungle dlc with the greenish layer and all that flying leafs and such.

Well remember, they did 're-do' the roadtrip after the North America Pack launched, going to different locations but using the same theme to showcase the DLC animals post-launch. I'm reading it as similar to that unless given reason to think otherwise.

That's a good point, but that roadtrip wasn't teasing anything and this thread certainly is doing it.

Well remember, they did 're-do' the roadtrip after the North America Pack launched, going to different locations but using the same theme to showcase the DLC animals post-launch. I'm reading it as similar to that unless given reason to think otherwise.
I actually forgot about that. I found that irritating as well, to be fair :D Always thought my timeline is showing me old posts.
But do people really get more interested in the europe pack when following a second fairy tale? Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one, and it was an awesome teaser and awesome marketing during christmas time. But I doubt drawn lynxes will increase sales of the europe pack now.

Something I thought of, the pictures of the story book (I know it was made by a frontier employee) could become scenery pieces. I like how the stained glass and art work included in the europe pack are of Lumi’s story. Or maybe a piece of all the animals jamming out together

Honestly, with the amount of time it takes to build a beautiful zoo in this game (not complaining), besides the wish to always want something new and shiny, I felt almost poverwhelmed last year.
I'm with you on this one. I wouldn't mind seeing more frequent free updates and little free update type content drops once a month but the way they drop animals imo is perfect. Ik people want more animals and people want it faster and that would be great too but the way they have the dlc set up is perfect

Sounds pretty conclusive, this guy might be the one who runs the show.

Top Bottom