What do i need for VR ???

Hi Guys , looking at stepping into vr, my pc is plenty powerful for vr,im not sure what the best headset is,what exactly do I need,i would like to play with my xbox elite controller,and then get a good set of hotas down the road,please help ,thanks in advance

I suppose it depends on how much you’re willing to spend on a headset - I currently own the Rift S, having previously had a standard Rift.

I’d say it’s about a mid-tier headset and really easy to set up. The screen is nice and clear and I’ve not had any tracking issues (though others have) but the sound isn’t that great, earphones are recommended.

The standard Rift has better colours and deeper blacks, though I’ve found the difference in the Rift S to be not as great as I was expecting. I had a 3x external sensor set up, so a bit more of a faff with cables. You should be able to get a second hand set up for a reasonable price.

I’ve always played ED with a standard 360 pad, so you should be good to go with the Elite controller.

I hope others will be able to give you advice on other headsets, and enjoy stepping into Elite Dangerous when you get set up!

The standard Rift has better colours and deeper blacks, though I’ve found the difference in the Rift S to be not as great as I was expecting.

You don't sound that hyped by the Rift S. If I were to upgrade this would be the avenue I would go due to my hardware. (Ryzen 2600k and 1070)

How would you say the Rift S at standard HMD and SS settings compares with the CV1 at HMD 1.25?

Oh I really like the S, I wouldn’t go back to the standard Rift :)

When I swapped over headsets, the clarity increase was (to my eyes) like going from HMD quality 1.0 to 1.25, possibly even 1.5 - and coupled with the decrease in screen-door effect it’s a very noticeable instant upgrade.

With regards to the colours & blacks, it’s similar to the Rift when it was on Limited RGB output on the HDMI, though not as washed out as that. I can still see the “grey clouds” in the skybox, but it’s a more subtle difference between them and the deep black of outer space now.

I have an I7 7700k , 2080ti, 32gb ddr4 ram,id like to stay around 500-750 but not more than that,so the rift s,do I need just the headset or sensors as well is there a specific setup/kit I should buy ? and i appreciate all the responses, I have another display port to connect it to .

Last edited:
Rift S has inside-out tracking, everything you need comes in the box (headset and two Touch controllers), £399.

Set-up was incredibly easy, download the Oculus software and follow the on-screen instructions (don’t plug the headset in first, it’ll tell you when to do so).

Flash up Elite Dangerous and go into the Graphics options, select “HMD with headphones” then restart the game.

Edit: one other thing, do you know your IPD? The distance between your pupils?

Everything you need for the Rift S comes in the box. I’d recommend a HOTAS for Elite (X52 or the like) and some Bluetooth ear buds if your PC has Bluetooth. The Rift S has speakers but they are utter rubbish.

I have an I7 7700k , 2080ti, 32gb ddr4 ram,id like to stay around 500-750 but not more than that,so the rift s,do I need just the headset or sensors as well is there a specific setup/kit I should buy ? and i appreciate all the responses
The Rift S comes with everything you need, in the box. No external sesnors as it is inside out tracking. 2 new design Touch controllers, a DP-miniDP adaptor and batteries for the Touch controllers.

It is a big step up from the original Rift in clarity, some FPS games have reported issues with close to HMD tracking (I've not noticed but don't have 2 of the 4 games mentioned) but overall (aside from 'new release' niggles) it is very good, particularly for the price. ED looks very good with it :)

ETA: Ninja'd Twice!

There's a 3.5mm jack in the Rift headset itself. Just plug a pair of headphones in there. Apple airpods may have a special connector, though. Not an Apple user.

Patience, lots and lots of Patience.
No matter how good your rig and headset are you will have issues with drivers, settings, stuttering and a whole list of other stuff
VR is not for the faint of heart!

Thanks commanders,i will find out my IPD ,rift s it is !! I have a set of apple airpods I wonder if I can connect them to my pc !!!

Apparently you can pair AirPods to non apple devices with Bluetooth including a PC.

As previously mentioned there is a 3.5mm jack but I found the cables flapping around and having to take my headphones off ever time I lifted the headset up or off really annoying. YMMV. :)

One of the first upgrades you will want invest in is a straw. It’s an essential VR accessory :D

Happy fathers day !!!! Installed my rift s today,just amazing need to find out my ipd so I can set it,its an amazing device easy to install,just have to adjust to find that sweet spot might be better once I get my ipd figured out,thanks for everyones help,are there any settings I should I adjust to make it better than it alrerady is,also how do I switch between vr and monitor,and will the rift ber on when i am on my monitor
?

Last edited:
To switch between VR and monitor you’ll need to change the option in the graphics menu, “HMD with headphones” when you want VR, your normal setting otherwise. You’ll need to restart the game for the change to take hold. Bit of a faff, but it is what it is. (Edit: Ratkatcher has better info!) The Rift should be off if it’s off your head or you’re in a 2D game.

For my IPD, I placed a ruler on my forehead and had a look in the mirror :)

Personally, once I got in VR mode I’ve never gone back to 2D Elite. I’d recommend the VR comfort options for using the SRV, “maintain horizon” being the most important for me.

As for the Rift S, I found having the halo band further down the back of my head gave me a better fit, took the slight pressure off my nose bridge and gave me a slightly greater sweetspot. The edge blur for me is now a thin ring on the outside edges of my vision.

Game settings-wise, having as clear an image with the best detail as possible is what gives me the best sense of scale, but it’s something you’ll have to tweak to your computer’s strength. As HMD quality 1.0 in the Rift S is already quite sharp, it’s worth pumping up the other settings, in my view.

Hope you enjoy, and welcome to what I think is the best way to play Elite Dangerous!

Last edited:
Happy fathers day !!!! Installed my rift s today,just amazing need to find out my ipd so I can set it,its an amazing device easy to install,just have to adjust to find that sweet spot might be better once I get my ipd figured out,thanks for everyones help,are there any settings I should I adjust to make it better than it alrerady is,also how do I switch between vr and monitor,and will the rift ber on when i am on my monitor
?
If you are not using other headphones etc. This setting will improve the audio immensely:

The rift S will be 'powered up' while your PC is switched on. You can get a Partner Key from Frontier to put ED on the Oculus Library page. Click on the Icon to launch in VR, click on the dots below the icon and select 'Run in Desktop mode' for pancake play :)

Oddly, if ED is started from Oculus audio does not automatically switch to Rift (manual select required) but if started from steamVR it does... (providing you have the settings correct on steam)

Last edited:
Patience, lots and lots of Patience.
No matter how good your rig and headset are you will have issues with drivers, settings, stuttering and a whole list of other stuff
VR is not for the faint of heart!
I wouldn't say that. At least with my MR headset it was pretty much plug and play.
I highly recommend using Dr. Kaii's excellent ED profiler for configuring the game.

Top Bottom