what else are they making harder for new players? How many hours it is taking now?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
How many hours to get a ship to just beat the threat 8 combat missions?
With a well made Python this missions are possible. Maybe not every time. Must be heavily engineered btw. Took me 6 months to get into a Python back in 2015.

I'm also wondering why the question about how many hours?

Knowing the answer might make it easier to come up with a satisfying answer..

It doesn't have to take very long to get capable ships, but learning the ins and outs of the game might take quite a while. And I'll repeat what I wrote elsewhere, there is no need to G5 every module on every ship right from the start.. It's kind of nice to play and every once in a while be able to engineer more stuff.

On the other hand not everyone plays the same, so the answer might depend on what exactly the player is looking for..

Wasn't it Lave? Somehow I recall the deja-vu of Elite 1984, and that feeling of starting with 1000cr and a ship.
If you start a new game and do the regular pilots training, you start in Dromi (in the noobula / pilots federation permit locked district).
If you start a new game and skip the training, you used to start in Asellus Prime outside the starter area (unsure if this is still the case).
If you started a new game before Horizons, you started in LHS 3447.

If you start a new game and do the regular pilots training, you start in Dromi (in the noobula / pilots federation permit locked district).
If you start a new game and skip the training, you used to start in Asellus Prime outside the starter area (unsure if this is still the case).
totaly agree my first kick off was in lhs 3447 and i forget the station its been that long. without looking have forgotten.

Ah yes that's right. I knew it was relatively close to there.

Seriously, it's really far from being what people say here and there.
Of course compared to more casual games, Elite's pace in terms of game progress is more of a slow paced.
I don't think it is comparable really to other games because the way an Elite game progresses, is really non-linear and it has nothing to do with most classic "character/skill leveling" mechanics.
Even though it is undoubtly important at one point, to start unlocking stuff like engineers and some ships...and that ship building plays a huge role in your success, Elite is mainly skill-based imo.
So as long as you set your expectations that: you won't have anything fed to your mouth and there's indeed a couple dozens of hours to master piloting and become really-really good", and as long as you also adjust your perspective that "there's no leveling system for your character and there's no skills-system, and your progression is really more about you becoming a better Cmdr, with a better knowledge of the mechanics for piloting and ship-building...
as long as you know this, you can't really go wrong and Elite stops to be the "everything is behind a grind-wall" that so many are talk-ting on different forums and hubs.

Most of these people just don't know what they are talking about. In fact, of all the games I played in my 25+ years of gaming, I haven't seen any other game where so much players saying stuff either they made up, or they "heard from a friend of a friend" but they have absolutely no idea if its real nor they have tested any of it for themselves...and players with ego so big that they cannot stand being unable to anwser a damn question, so if they don't know, they just spit false .

For, real, I have spent most of my early days in this game, just letting my curiosity lead the way, taking different kinds of missions in stations, just to get a grip on the different mechanics and learn my way around the game. No stress, no pressure. And even if I was in the middle of a mission and something seemed peculiar like, some planet and/or moon, go see closer, and to hell with the mission.
Then I spent a great deal of time, not thinking about "what ship I should buy next", and just focus into mastering one of the first small ships like the Viper III or the Cobra III (personally I was all about the cobra, 200 hours doing combat with it, solo-ing low and medium conflict zones with it being barely engineered, and only 1 or 2 first grades) and see "how high" I can take it with it. How better I can get, practicing my skills. Fiddle around with my ship build, discovering there's more to it than just making it "A-Maxed" (all modules at the higher tier grade), and that the different Grades have also different characteristic to them and which you could play with it to attain the specific needs you'd have (like less weight, better energy and/or heat efficiency, etc..).
And you know what? I don't regret any of it and I'd do the same if I could un-play the game and rediscover it.
Hope it enlightens you a bit.

No other games have ever reach the peak of awesomness that Elite Dangerous has procured me. It is incredibly fun and addictive.
I must be close (if not more than) 9k hours...and I know I have many more to come.

The other most valuable thing I could tell you is: this game is taken to another level surely if you join a squadron but, not too early, and not too long into in either. Being in a team is THE way to enjoy it to the fullest (ok ok all you explorers calm down, we're not all nuts like ya'll in the Bubble, and we make up the biggest portion of players so I think it's fair to say that rofl!)

o7

Seriously, it's really far from being what people say here and there.
Of course compared to more casual games, Elite's pace in terms of game progress is more of a slow paced.
I don't think it is comparable really to other games because the way an Elite game progresses, is really non-linear and it has nothing to do with most classic "character/skill leveling" mechanics.
Even though it is undoubtly important at one point, to start unlocking stuff like engineers and some ships...and that ship building plays a huge role in your success, Elite is mainly skill-based imo.
So as long as you set your expectations that: you won't have anything fed to your mouth and there's indeed a couple dozens of hours to master piloting and become really-really good", and as long as you also adjust your perspective that "there's no leveling system for your character and there's no skills-system, and your progression is really more about you becoming a better Cmdr, with a better knowledge of the mechanics for piloting and ship-building...
as long as you know this, you can't really go wrong and Elite stops to be the "everything is behind a grind-wall" that so many are talk-ting on different forums and hubs.

Most of these people just don't know what they are talking about. In fact, of all the games I played in my 25+ years of gaming, I haven't seen any other game where so much players saying stuff either they made up, or they "heard from a friend of a friend" but they have absolutely no idea if its real nor they have tested any of it for themselves...and players with ego so big that they cannot stand being unable to anwser a damn question, so if they don't know, they just spit false .

For, real, I have spent most of my early days in this game, just letting my curiosity lead the way, taking different kinds of missions in stations, just to get a grip on the different mechanics and learn my way around the game. No stress, no pressure. And even if I was in the middle of a mission and something seemed peculiar like, some planet and/or moon, go see closer, and to hell with the mission.
Then I spent a great deal of time, not thinking about "what ship I should buy next", and just focus into mastering one of the first small ships like the Viper III or the Cobra III (personally I was all about the cobra, 200 hours doing combat with it, solo-ing low and medium conflict zones with it being barely engineered, and only 1 or 2 first grades) and see "how high" I can take it with it. How better I can get, practicing my skills. Fiddle around with my ship build, discovering there's more to it than just making it "A-Maxed" (all modules at the higher tier grade), and that the different Grades have also different characteristic to them and which you could play with it to attain the specific needs you'd have (like less weight, better energy and/or heat efficiency, etc..).
And you know what? I don't regret any of it and I'd do the same if I could un-play the game and rediscover it.
Hope it enlightens you a bit.

No other games have ever reach the peak of awesomness that Elite Dangerous has procured me. It is incredibly fun and addictive.
I must be close (if not more than) 9k hours...and I know I have many more to come.

The other most valuable thing I could tell you is: this game is taken to another level surely if you join a squadron but, not too early, and not too long into in either. Being in a team is THE way to enjoy it to the fullest (ok ok all you explorers calm down, we're not all nuts like ya'll in the Bubble, and we make up the biggest portion of players so I think it's fair to say that rofl!)

o7
totally agree here, if you wan´t to progress quickly and try to have everything asap -> its the wrong game. you have not understood or got a feeling for this game. i think the diehard Elite fans who have spent lots of hours in the game will not regret a minute they played. its much more than having a powerfull ship and shoot everyone else down easily. i cannot remember another game which i invested so much time and never got bored.

It will take a player the same amount of time the guy you don't know that lives down the street to wash his car.

Why are you asking the same questions on multiple threads? Is it just for attention?
Do you think maybe someone asking the same question twice is looking for an answer to that very question?

Last edited:
Do you think maybe someone asking the same question twice is looking for an answer to that very question?
Perhaps if someone is looking for the same answer twice by the same people on the same forum. Probably not.

There is no need to post the same question multiple times. People are capable of using the search function.

Probably not what?
Are you recommending a better place or group to ask?
Or are you trolling that I can't get an answer to simple questions?

Honestly, they can delete the thread. Just 15 pages of getting harrassed and trolled for my views.
Occasionally, someone posts some unrelated wall of text, no idea why.

Last edited:
With current mechanics, G5 a Krait MKII (Shields, Drive, Engine, Armor, Shield Boosters (If you like shields), with Guardian FSD booster, Guardian Module Reinforcements, Guardian Sheild reinforcements (If you like that sort of thing) Guardian Plasma or Rails, and a Guardian fighter would take me about 40 hours of dedicated play time from scratch.

This would be utilizing optimized mat harvesting (relog extravaganza with Horizons Odyssey flipping), FC ferries to unlock Palin, Platinum strip mining and use of the 3rd party mining tool for most profitable loops, optimized system and engineer unlocks (long range taxi DBX useful here), optimized faction grinding loops (cutter really useful for trade and mining), relogs at Guardian sites (use of 3rd party resources to identify most efficient systems), etc.

This would be dedicated goal focused game play.

You could just multicrew into a guardian fighter if you wanted a taste fast.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom