What other games are we all playing?

I've been looking for some new games to try out the past few weeks. I found one that looks real nice which is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It looks fun.

I've also looked for a military strategy game and I found Wargamer: AirLand. It looks nice in utubes and trailers. Is it any good ?

GL HF

Skip Airland and go right to Red Dragon. Best modern war rts ever. I promise. Airland was good but it was the precursor to Red Dragon. Red Dragon takes it further and does it better. Its all crap after that.

Eugene went the way of Microtransactions / nickle and diming its customers by locking base content behind paywalls.

Just picked up Anno 1800 and it's Season Pass for $52.00. The base game is on sale right now for 20 % off on the Ubisoft store, plus you can turn in additional 20% off promo code on the pass itself. Pretty excited about this one. Also, been playing a bit of No Man's Sky the last week or since the Beyond update and having a lot of low calorie fun with it. Other than that, tons of tabletop D&D with my kids.
I love Anno games and their resource-juggling gameplay and 1800 has stolen about two weeks of playtime from me already. I really like the Sci-fi ones, but I have to admit 1800 is probably the best Anno yet. Much more complex and as a bonus it keeps getting more complex as you progress.

Well, I earlier unearthed my old Xbox 360 and my copy of the Halo series and Mass Effect trilogy etc, so decided to plough through that :D

I absolutely, completely, couldn't get the thing to work for several hours :(

Just in case anyone else finds themselves in my situation - if it insists on updates but cannot find them or tells you download failed, and it lists your bandwidth at depressingly low levels even though you are pushing triple digits on everything else - you need to plug it into a decrepit old router or limit your port speed to something silly like 10mbps before it'll work, and then use your Microsoft account to generate an App password and log in with that instead of your actual password.

Actually after carrier announcement I went back to Elite to make some extra cash just in case.
Took first nice 2 destinations tourist mission. First tourist beacon is few jumps away, no issue!
Second one:
Where do you want to go?
My destination - Hutton Orbital "For the Mug" beacon!
Homer-Doh.jpg

Read the mission before starting.

Last edited:
I lost the internet over the weekend and had to entertain myself with non-internet dependent games. I fired up Evochron and remembered how much I like its space flight model. To me, it just feels more like flying a space ship. Its getting dated now and is much more limited than current games in scope and graphics. I also ran across my Independence War II disk and may load it up. Iirc it had a nice flight model.

GL HF

September third Torchlight 2 comes to Xbox One so yeah I'll be playing that for a while.
It's a fun hack and slash loot arpg, realy liked the first one too.

Playing Monkey Simulator 2019 (Ancestors). I'm currently a pack of one very old monkey, one sterile super sexy monkey, and two children who are doomed to starvation. Good times.

Got attacked by a giant eagle, a sabre toothed tiger, some big pig, and some bees. Human kind is in jeapordy at this point.

Last edited:
I've been playing Phantom Doctrine for a bit. Somebody recommended it to me and I have to say I bloody love it!

To describe it simply, it's an XCOM, but it's 80's spies - instead of resistance vs. aliens it's CIA vs. KGB (you can play either side - there's even multiplayer). Well, that is not entirely correct - the main antagonist is somebody different (no spoilers), and CIA and KGB cells are trying to solve it, and stepping on each others' toes. :)
Instead of resources and whatnot (I haven't played XCOM in years, I don't know what resources are there), you gather intel and counter-intel, send spies around the world to investigate, interrogate, assassinate, etc...
You are connecting the pieces of intel (I mean literally - it's a minigame where you have a pin board, a bunch of pieces of intel, photographs, etc and you are connecting everything with pins and thread until it makes sense.
And then you go on mission in true XCOM-like style. The mechanics are pretty much the same except one single thing that made this game for me - there is no RNG. Yes, the one thing that was making me crazy in XCOM.
No RNG, pure tactics. If you aim at somebody, you're going to hit them, unless they duck into cover and vice versa - if your agent get caught in the open, they're done. In XCOM I was save scumming because the game screwed me over and it felt unfair. Here I will happily take a defeat, because I know that I screwed up.
And it gets intense, don't get me wrong, and the game doesn't give anything for free. But it is entirely up to my tactical awareness and forethought, not because the game decided that 85% hit chance isn't enough. :LOL:

Well, long story short, I absolutely love it. The game is much slower than XCOM, though (and most of the negative reviews are about the game being kind of boring) but I really don't mind the tempo, I don't mind sitting for ten minutes and looking for clues in gathered documents and then go to the board and try to make sense of it all. I think it's awesome and most importantly it really captures that 70s/80s "romantic noir" espionage atmosphere.

So I guess this is my review of sorts.
If you like XCOM (or the other game with a big and a duck) but want a more grounded, serious, "all skill, no luck" game with interesting mechanics and story, go for it. Or at least wishlist it and wait for a sale, it's kind of expensive for what it is. :LOL:

God help me, but I've started playing Minecraft again.
I know the feeling, the Minecraft bug bit me earlier this year. Between the underwater update and the “village and pillage” update, the game had changed quite a bit.

With the announcement of Kerbal Space Program 2, the KSP bug latched on hard. So far, I’ve discovered that since the last time I played, Squad has dropped the delta-V requirements for launching from Kerbin and landing on the Mun. Next up: Minmus.

I know the feeling, the Minecraft bug bit me earlier this year. Between the underwater update and the “village and pillage” update, the game had changed quite a bit.

With the announcement of Kerbal Space Program 2, the KSP bug latched on hard. So far, I’ve discovered that since the last time I played, Squad has dropped the delta-V requirements for launching from Kerbin and landing on the Mun. Next up: Minmus.
Yeah, same here. I used to play a lot of Minecraft, but haven't revisited in years until now and oh wow has it changed a lot! I'm fooling around with a couple mods that take the sting out dying in Survival (Gravestones & VoxelMap minimap) but otherwise keeping it pretty basic. It's weird how compelling this game is once you get into it.

@Chris Simon, yeah, that was exactly it. NMS is good, but Minecraft is king:)

In the last month I completed dead space 3, Lara croft GOL, battlefield ,3 and 4 campaigns (3 rubbish ,4 great) and next up is going back to finish dark souls.
Also playing division, destiny 2, dying light and starting NMS VR and fallout 4 VR.
Some of those are gonna take years

Yeah, same here. I used to play a lot of Minecraft, but haven't revisited in years until now and oh wow has it changed a lot! I'm fooling around with a couple mods that take the sting out dying in Survival (Gravestones & VoxelMap minimap) but otherwise keeping it pretty basic. It's weird how compelling this game is once you get into it.

@Chris Simon, yeah, that was exactly it. NMS is good, but Minecraft is king:)
I can see the appeal but it is not a game I really played. The new RTX patch looks beautiful

I need to see what cool, exclusive games there are on PC. For example, are there any modern versions of WWII submarine games with the look and feel of Silent Hunter? Oh, and Stronghold 2 (where you build castles) is an old favorite of mine - anything new in that regard? I guess you can tell when last it was that I played PC games, LOL.

Top Bottom