What other games are we all playing?

I jumped in to Command Modern Operations with Tacview - pretty pricey bundle but as a owner of older title got a 50% off the base game. In my opinion totally worth it if you are Command player or in to micromanagement modern military strategy ops.
The -50% discount for previous owners is still a go:
https://www.matrixgames.com/CMANO-CMO-FAQ
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076160/Command_Modern_Operations/

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C40Yez7iLlc

Worth mention - the base free Tacview you can get on Steam has a 30days trial for the advanced version (that is requied for CMO) so you can see if you need it.

Last edited:
Evochron and its predecessors were my space games of choice before ED. Its an amazing game but a bit dated now which is probably why its not a strong competitor to ED. I played intensely for a couple years. It has the best space flight model of any title imho. The flight model is not pure Newtonian but close (If you like pure Newt, see Pioneer or Lunar Lander, etc etc). Evo has several features and capabilities ED doesn't that would really improve the game.

I still have it on my computer and fire it up occasionally for a change. The developer's screen name is Vice and he is one of the best, most connected and helpful game designers I've ever heard of.

Last edited:
Cant wait for Star Citizen 3.8 to launch with at least partial persistence, that will get me back to SC permanently.
I've seen some highlights, going to watch CitizenCon video sometime in next couple of days. Does SC have low and medium quality graphics settings for those of us who don't own a quantum computer?

Evochron and its predecessors were my space games of choice before ED. Its an amazing game but a bit dated now which is probably why its not a strong competitor to ED. I played intensely for a couple years. It has the best space flight model of any title imho. The flight model is not pure Newtonian but close (If you like pure Newt, see Pioneer or Lunar Lander, etc etc). Evo has several features and capabilities ED doesn't that would really improve the game.

I still have it on my computer and fire it up occasionally for a change. The developer's screen name is Vice and he is one of the best, most connected and helpful game designers I've ever heard of.
^^
This. Again one can only imagine what miracles that one guy could accomplish if he had a $200M+ budget with full oversight of development. And no, this is not an attempt to troll that-obvious-game-which-will-not-be-named-here. It's just a simple statement of reality where the industry is to date.

But then again, such omnipotence is probably a bad thing. It IS engineers we're talking about. Engineers were designed to be code monkeys who push the tech curve to advance civilization. Giving an engineer managerial/executive/CIO oversight of how project funding is allocated, has always been an unnatural phenomenon (translation: failure) in nature. History has proved this time and time again with Indie devs like Maxis and titles like Yogventures being sad proof of this.

I've played:

Blasphemous: imagine a Pope/ Judge Dredd character fighting a psycho undead Pope mixed with Castlevania SOTN. Its mental and very challenging.

Horace: the most British of British games and I'd recommend without hesitation. Utterly charming- crams in so, so many 80's British pop culture / video game references into a massive, rock hard platform challenge. It will make you laugh and cry, especially at the end.

Baba is You: puzzle game that allows you to rewrite the rules of a push block puzzle world.

Frostpunk: global cooling post apocalyptic Victorian Britain real time warm em up strategy action.

I've seen some highlights, going to watch CitizenCon video sometime in next couple of days. Does SC have low and medium quality graphics settings for those of us who don't own a quantum computer?
It was something of a snooze fest. Chris appeared for some what? 10 mins or so? and provided a completely lackluster, faux RPG and heavily scripted demo of their new hook to ensnare more funding ship. Then disappeared off stage for several hours while the fan base was left to go into catatonic stupor with death by powerpoint slides. All sleeper side bar dev panels which didn't ONCE mention critical deliverables the likes of SQ42 for next year. Neither did Chris when he finally re-emerged several minutes before the end come to think of it. If I didn't know better, I'd swear he was trying to dodge having to do any Q&A from the fan base with his (and Sandi's?) absences.

IMO the best announcement was their future intent to add ground/orbital stations where players could spawn in other locations than Olisar. But apart from that, the entire event was anti climatic at best. It was almost as though the audience were zombified/petrified throughout the whole thing because they were so dead quiet. :(

It was something of a snooze fest. Chris appeared for some what? 10 mins or so? and provided a completely lackluster, faux RPG and heavily scripted demo of their new hook to ensnare more funding ship. Then disappeared off stage for several hours while the fan base was left to go into catatonic stupor with death by powerpoint slides. All sleeper side bar dev panels which didn't ONCE mention critical deliverables the likes of SQ42 for next year. Neither did Chris when he finally re-emerged several minutes before the end come to think of it. If I didn't know better, I'd swear he was trying to dodge having to do any Q&A from the fan base with his (and Sandi's?) absences.

IMO the best announcement was their future intent to add ground/orbital stations where players could spawn in other locations than Olisar. But apart from that, the entire event was anti climatic at best. It was almost as though the audience were zombified/petrified throughout the whole thing because they were so dead quiet. :(

Thats not what Old Duck asked, now was it?

Yes there is low and medium settings but afaik those has no effect on fps. But the game runs quite smoothly these days with 1080p resolution.
Of course it demands some what decent hardware, for example SSD is practically mandatory to run SC. Also 16gb of RAM is recommended.
Dunno whats your GPU but you can test your rig's SC performance here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry

Apologies. Suffer from an exotic myopic complex. The absence of any mention of SQ42 was a total deal breaker. It really doesn't matter what the graphics requirements are IMO. It appears doubtful a MVP for SQ42 will be getting released since they seem behind schedule on the PU :(

Thats not what Old Duck asked, now was it?

Yes there is low and medium settings but afaik those has no effect on fps. But the game runs quite smoothly these days with 1080p resolution.
Of course it demands some what decent hardware, for example SSD is practically mandatory to run SC. Also 16gb of RAM is recommended.
Dunno whats your GPU but you can test your rig's SC performance here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry
For Star Citizen, an SSD is definitely mandatory, the difference when running from an HDD is quite remarkable. It'll run on 16Gb of RAM but to be honest, at least 32GB is what to aim for. As for the rest of the machine specs, it's not particularly GPU intensive, but a half decent CPU (i7 6700 or better) is advisable. Not exactly military specs needed to run it but anything more than 16Gb of RAM with an SSD should see you right.

Yes. It's genuinely mind blowing what ONE single, dedicated and super talented game dev can do.
Evochron is a seriously impressive game considering it's one guy who made it. I own the game and it can be a ton of fun, but I find it's flight model feels worse than Elite's. Flying the ships in Evochron just doesn't give me the same warm feeling which Elite does. In many ways though Evochron is the better "game", and that alone is super impressive.

Reinstalling Battletech now that I have the third and final dlc.
Also Battletech never supported mods now do with the latest update.
Download a mod and drop them into the appropriate folder, then activate them on the main menu.
No more messing with all the other stuff that would break the game after a patch was released.

I’ve been playing Ion Fury recently. Absolutely brilliant old school FPS a la Duke Nukem.

Thoroughly recommended.

Somehow managed to escape that addictive Event Horizon that is Space Engineers. Just as I was warping away, accidentally stumbled into a temporal fantasy worm hole that dropped me off in the Fallout New Vegas universe. Where I suddenly remembered I needed to pick up where I left off an Ice Age or so ago. Finally got around to updating my New Vegas game with the amazing New California DLC sized mod. Will be playing this using the awesome Tale of Two Wastelands mod to travel between the New Vegas Mojave and Capital Wastelands over the next week or so. :cool:

The fallout new california is a really slick mod for new vegas.
Now awaiting the fallout miami mod for FO4.
Wait. What?!? Oh man. I've been suffering from space sickness for too long. 😛

Haven't been frequenting Nexusmods forums lately other than to d/l mods to update my existing mod deck. So didn't realize another epic DLC mod was being cooked up over at Nexusmods. Thanks for the heads up!

RDR2 has utterly captivated me. Easily the best open world RPG game I've ever experienced. Arguably one of the best game's I've played, period. And yes, that's including The Witcher 3. As good as TW3 was, it doesn't stack up against the sheer genius on display in Rockstar's latest offering. Unfortunately I can't play it as much as I would like because of work and my new hobby as a digital artist, but damn I sure want to!

Top Bottom