What GPU upgrade for elite vr

I am currently running an Acer wmr headset on a 1050 ti with a Ryzen 7 2700 and 16gb of 3000mhz ram. So I am looking at getting a better GPU to fix my low framerate. Does anyone have any recommendations for a GPU to upgrade to and is there anything I can do to improve my framerate with my current setup as at the moment I am getting around 30fps while in empty space.

I think the general PC Upgrade commandment applies:

Thou shalt upgrade unto the limit of what thou canst afford

I went from a GTX 1060 to a GTX 1080 and I’m happy with that for the time being with my Rift S. I run ED with SS 1.0 and HMD 1.25, settings High/Ultra, and don’t mind the ASW kicking in during busy times.

I’m probably going to go for an RTX 2080 Super sometime next year.

As for your current setup, 30fps sounds incredibly low - have you got some SuperSampling going on somewhere?

I have to agree with Arioch, buy what you can afford, but to give you more for the benchmarks;
I run a GTX 1070 on a i5-8400 and get 90fps in space and 45 when busy on a Rift, with HMD1.25 and SS1.25 on ultra. To get full 90fps, I have to drop to VR medium.

(Dear Santa, Can I please haz a 2070 Super or 2080 Super)

The 1050 is not going to cut it in VR under any circumstances. Even with the ti on the end.

Your CPU is fine. Faster than mine, and my system is running ok with med/high settings and no supersampling. I got a 1660ti and i7-7700k
it's a bit of a placeholder graphics card since I had to get it VR stable when my headset arrived in May.

You also don't say what your headset is. It does matter. 1660ti runs my rift S with those settings. I'm in ASW most of the time but it doesn't bother me in this game, since it's seated. That card is roughly equivalent to 1070.

Generally, go for something either xx70 or xx80. The xx60 line is much more entry level and I'm just getting away with it because it's a new generation. xx50 aren't for gaming, much (much) less for VR.

You could probably turn down some settings (especially the in-game supersampling) to improve results with your current GPU, but as others have mentioned this will only go so far with a 1050 Ti.

Optimal upgrade option depends on your budget. You should probably be looking at something in the ballpark of the RX 5700XT or RTX 2070 Super if you want a minimal compromise experience, but you can go cheaper and still be much better off than you are now.

Very satisfied with my 5700xt. I can do 45/90fps with medium settings(but High main texture), FXAA, 1.75HMD and 1.0SS. ASW kicks in occasionally around the station and CZs are a bit of an issue. A lot going on there so I get some slow downs. I could be a little too aggressive with my HMD level for those. I have a Ryzen 2600x and 16gb 3200mhz ram.

Edit: This is with the Rift btw

From what I've seen here it seems that a 2070 or 2070 super is the best option for me so I will keep going with my 1050 until I get enough cash to buy one of those.

For me personally, there seems to be no GPU even remotely powerful enough.

To make my O+ look even vaguely tolerable ( even though it is way better than my VPro ), I have to use HMD 2.0 and SS 2.0 and SteamVR SS at >200%. From a resolution standpoint the multiple upsampling is almost enough to make the text rendering tolerable to my weak eyes. However, despite a 2.1GHz 1080Ti, it's, obviously, a total slideshow. an RTX Titan OC on it's best day is only ~40% faster i.e. a fast slide show with those settings ( by my totally subjective assessment ), i.e. still useless.

That said, I like wickfuts idea of getting the Reverb, with it's much higher resolution and therefore being able to turn the SS settings down so there is less VRAM use and less upsampling-downsampling compute. Kinda counter-intuitive possibly but since we're probably a year or two away from the 'STX 3080 Ti' - I'll take my chances.

Top Bottom