What habitat birds would you most like to see, or think we are likely to get?

We can't count on aviaries right now, but I assume they must be adding more birds in the future. The most requested habitat birds are surely penguins. But what other birds would you like to see, or think we might be getting? The emu or cassowary seem likely for an Australia pack.

I'd personally love the golden pheasant for our Asian sections.

1587638261109.png

Scarlet Ibis

1587638342020.png

Shoebill

1587557221736.png

Puffin

1587638426401.png

Ocelated Turkey
1587613453499.png

The Crowned Pigeon, Nicobar Pigeon, and Himalayan Monal are also beautiful, though maybe too small for habitat animals.

birb.jpg

I would love waterfowl like swans or ducks for our zoo ponds and gardens! Maybe not my best priority, but would look very nice.

birb1.jpg

I think we are more likely to get pelicans, or a species of crane, stork, or heron. There are so many cool ones, and some are widely kept in zoos.
Especially the grey crowned crane and marabou stork, which seem likely candidates for the game.

And the secretary bird! It was in Zoo Tycoon 2, if I remember right.

1587613722094.png

Also, what flying birds would you want most, if that were to happen? I'd love parrots, toucans, and birds of prey in general. But especially the Andean condor and the bearded vulture.

Last edited:
I agree with secretary bird, i loved them in ZT2.

As for any other birds I would really love to see kiwi bird, they are my favourite bird, so cute and unique.
brown-kiwi-the-otorohanga.jpg

From flying birds my favourite is toucan. What a funny bird.

Tough choices as all the birds listed novels are great. I’d like penguins but won’t include them here because of the advanced mechanics they bring to the game. So here’s my list:
21F43B5F-28C2-49AC-A43D-AA8092CC8EAC.jpeg

Turkey
6BC7282F-8A54-40C2-B997-DC1DD70DB5F3.jpeg

Kori Bustard
E67717E9-509F-4E2B-BC32-9CA62CE550CB.jpeg

Shoebill
4794784C-FE9D-4B21-BBC9-228270645F8E.jpeg

Northern bald ibis
5538FBB8-C414-49DD-942B-DD8339849F1C.jpeg

Any pelican subspecies

Honorable mentions: These are also some I’d love to see like secretary birds, grey crowned crane, tragopans, and maribou storks just to name a few.

I would really like :
Congo Peafowl
Emu
Cassowary
Mute Swan
Marabou
Mallard
Green Peafowl
White Stork
Lesser Flamingo
American Flamingo
Australian Brush-Turkey
Southern ground hornbill
Call duck
Egyptian Goose
Mandarin duck
Red Junglefowl
Chicken
Helmeted Guineafowl
Scarlet Ibis
Western capercaillie

If we will get flying Birds I would absolutely love Macaws (including the Spix-Macaw), Kookaburras, Lyrebirds and Birds of Prey

Last edited:
I’d also like to see swans and some ducks in pz. Mute swans are black swans would look amazing in a entry pond to your zoos.

I'd only want the kiwi if they also give us the ability to use indoor lighting, so I can simulate a nocturnal house.

As for others, there are a lot I'd like. To narrow it down, my priorities would be;

- Emu.
- Grey crowned crane.
- Southern ground hornbill.
- Red-crowned crane.
- Magpie goose.
- Himalayan monal.

I would love to have at least these species (in no particular order) at some point, excluding species more fit to aviaries/small exhibits

Aquatic
  • Caribbean Flamingo
  • Dalmatian Pelican
  • Magpie Goose
  • Mute Swan

Grassland
  • Ground Hornbill
  • Marabou Stork
  • Rhea
  • Secretary Bird

Temperate
  • Golden Pheasant
  • Japanese Crane
  • Superb Lyrebird

Tropical
  • Cassowary
  • Grey Crowned Crane
  • Scarlet Ibis
  • Shoebill
  • Victoria Crowned Pigeon

Any of these would make great additions to the game. Some really great choices. Some I didn’t even think of. I know there’s been a lot of mention of maybe a 6-8 animal based pack and to me if there was ever a pack to do so I personally think birds would be a great candidate as habitat birds wouldn’t really require aviary pieces or building sets. Maybe a statue or two or a unique fountain or something as far as decor goes. Not that I’m necessarily counting on a pack of that size anytime soon but it’s hard to argue a bigger pack for this group wouldn’t make sense.

Sticking to the current system we have and without aviaries I would like to focus on larger ground-dwelling birds. I’ll ignore penguins for now given the animations necessary for realistic swimming - although I could live with them sticking to the surface.

Although pheasants are ground-dwelling they are usually kept in aviaries so I’skip those.

Birds like the crowned pigeon and scarlet ibis could be cool in tropical halls.

Guinea fowl, ground hornbill, marabou, secretary bird and crowned crane could be nice additions to savannah enclosures.

Ducks, geese and swans would be a good addition creating a more complete zoo feeling - on ponds and in moats and alongside flamingos. And specific species like red-breasted geese for boreal enclosures, black swans and cape barren geese for Australia would be great.

Pelicans, depending on the species would also be nice alongside flamingos, on ponds and in savannah enclosures. White stork would also be great.

Red-crowned cranes would be useful in East Asian areas and North American crane species would add some diversity to those areas. Brolga would be great if we get an Australia DLC but I’d only want them included if we get some other key species.

I love cassowaries and they’d be a fantastic addition. Emus are iconic and in my view essential for any Australia DLC. Rhea are so similar to ostriches that I hope they’d be an easy addition.

I’d love kiwi and think I’d be able to build an indoor enclosure for them based on one I made in ZT2 but agree with the point about lighting to make it a nocturnal kiwi house.

Most of the birds I have chosen would fit into one of two areas - the large African savannah enclosures and tropical house-type exhibits:

African savannah birds that are kept with hoofstock in zoo mixed exhibits include the grey crowned crane, great white pelican, Egyptian goose, Southern ground hornbill, saddle-billed or marabou storks and helmeted or vulturine guineafowl. If it came down to it, I would choose the crane, pelican, goose and vulturine guineafowl.

Tropical birds that would be suitable include the ocellated turkey, giant wood-rail, Victoria crowned pigeon and any of the curassow species. All of those would be great additions to the game.

I was browsing around on the internet and did manage to find a bird that, while normally kept in aviaries, may be easier to implement than others - the African turacos. The source I found (the European zoo husbandry guidelines for the group) described them as being very weak flyers, instead climbing through trees and crossing gaps between trees by either jumping or gliding. In that regard, they may fit more with the current climbing mechanisms than other birds which are more powerful flyers. If new netting roofing for exhibits was implemented (which would go a long way to adding realism for primate and cat exhibits), these could be a possible added bird. If a turaco were added, I would choose either the white-cheeked or violet turaco; they are the most commonly kept species.

I’d be happy with toucans, parrots and birds of prey for example that just perch, hop about and occasionally flap their wings.

I don't think we're going to see small aviary animals anytime soon, and personally I'd rather have large birds in habitats (like ostrich and flamingo) than small birds in exhibits, I don't like the fact that exhibit animals don't move and are pretty much useless.

Realistically I'd love to see Condors, Horned Owls (or True Owls), Macaws, Bald Eagles, Cassowaries and Penguins!

I don't think we're going to see small aviary animals anytime soon, and personally I'd rather have large birds in habitats (like ostrich and flamingo) than small birds in exhibits, I don't like the fact that exhibit animals don't move and are pretty much useless.

Most of the exhibit animals available in the game don't move much in real life, either. Reptiles and amphibians are notorious for remaining in one spot for much of the day, basking in heat/light and only moving to feed or to hide. I keep a number of reptiles and amphibians at home and have worked with them in zoos, too; honestly the way they behave in the exhibits in-game is pretty spot-on. Some of the invertebrates would probably be more mobile in real life (such as the giant centipede, and ironically the snails) but even tarantulas don't scurry around the place. It would be nice if in the future they could upgrade them a little so they did a little more, but I'm at least happy we have the option to use them at all. They're far better than the little 'kiosks' in Zoo Tycoon 2, for example.

In any event, it's pretty clear why they are the way they are; it allows us to use them as much as we want without putting any real strain on the game's engine. Granted a little more movement probably wouldn't hurt that much, but personally I think it's good that I can build, for example, a reptile house full of exhibits without having to compromise on adding habitat animals as well.

As for aviaries, well, we can't possibly know how they'll end up doing them when or if they add them in. Even if they were similar to exhibits, I don't see why you would assume they would be identical; presumably it would be a whole new feature that sits somewhere in between the current exhibits and full habitats, but again, it's all just guessing/wishful thinking anyway.

• Alagoas curassow/ Hocco mitou (Mitu mitu) (Amérique du Sud)
  • Bald eagle/ Pygargue à tête blanche (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) (Amérique du Nord)
  • California condor/ Condor de Californie (Gymnogyps californianus) (Amérique du Nord)
  • Chinese monal/ Lophophore de Lhuys (Lophophorus lhuysii) (Asie)
  • Cinereous vulture/ Vautour moine (Aegypius monachus) (Europe et Asie)
  • Echo parakeet / Perruche verte des Mascareignes (Psittacula eques) (Réunion)
  • Emperor penguin/ Manchot empereur (Aptenodytes forsteri) (Antarctique)
  • Erect-crested penguin/ Gorfou huppé (Eudyptes sclateri) (Océanie)
  • Fearful owl/ Chouette redoutable (Nesasio solomonensis) (Océanie)
  • Goldfinch/ Chardonneret élégant (Carduelis carduelis) (Europe)
  • Guam kingfisher/ Martin-chasseur cannelle (Todiramphus cinnamominus)
  • Harpy eagle/ harpie féroce (Harpia harpyja) (Amérique centrale)
  • Helmeted hornbill/ Calao à casque rond (Rhinoplax vigil) (Asie)
  • Kakapo (Strigops habroptila) (Océanie)
  • North Island brown kiwi/ Kiwi de Mantell (Apteryx mantelli) (Océanie)
  • Saffron toucanet/ Toucan de Baillon (Pteroglossus bailloni) (Amérique du Sud)
  • Sapphire-bellied hummingbird/ Colibri de Lillie (Lepidopyga lilliae) (Amérique du Sud)
  • Secretarybird/ Messager sagittaire (Sagittarius serpentarius) (Afrique)
  • Snowy owl/ Harfang des neiges (Bubo scandiacus) (cercle arctique)
  • Socorro dove/ Tourterelle de Socorro (Zenaida graysoni) (Amérique centrale)
  • Spix's macaw/ Ara de Spix (Cyanopsitta spixii) (Amérique du Sud)
  • White stork/ Cigogne blanche (Ciconia ciconia)

Top Bottom