What happens if you try to play Vanilla after using Horizons?

Why not just try it. You might lose some modules you don't have access to in the base game, but if that's all you can run it doesn't matter does it?

I've sometimes wondered about basic stuff like what'd happen if I was flying, say, a Beluga or Dolphin and then swapped from Horizons to Vanilla, but it's never bothered me enough to actually test it out.

I'm guessing that FDev have set the Vanilla game up so it's compatible with all the Horizons assets (ships, engineering etc) so that a Horizons player doesn't lose anything when they swap to Vanilla whereas a Vanilla-only player simply won't ever have had the opportunity to obtain any Horizons assets so they're never going to see them.

FDev don't always get things right but the way they've handled backward-compatibility between Horizons and Vanilla seems to be faultless. (y)

About the closest I've seen to a "problem" is when they've initiated stuff like CGs that are open to everybody but which only Horizons owners can participate in because they've required players to visit Horizons-only locations.
I don't really see that as a "fault", though, any more than if they announced, for example, a mining CG which I could sign-up for but then couldn't participate in because I didn't have a mining ship. 🤷‍♂️

Testing all done.

-Modules can be stored, bought, transferred, equipped. Regardless of V-ship or H-ship, regardless of stock or engineered, guardian etc.
-H-Ships can be piloted but only when you're already inside. H-ships can actually be transferred, but don't appear in the stations shipyard on arrival (Even though you're notified about it).
-Remote Engineering also works, BP's all present.
-NPC crew can be selected, enabled but not launched. Pressing 3 just zooms the scanner, and headlook doesn't trigger the SLF panel either. NPC lounge can be activated, but no new members bought.

Looks like I'll buy buying my Krait, Mamba and AX Alliance ship after all.

Honestly as said above, for all the flak FDev get to be able to use Horizons' assets in vanilla in case you find yourself on a worse system is beyond expectations.

Last edited:
Oh man, this is giving me some troublesome ideas... I recently got an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ controller that also works on my mobiles...

Best not to think about it too much. It's getting on 4 in the morning here... XD
Provided you have unlimited data plan (Geforce Now eats up to 6 GB (gigabytes) per hour) yes, you can play Elite "on the go" using any Bluetooth compatible Xbox controller. Xbox Elite controllers from last few years work. And there are contraptions allowing you to put a smartphone in a holder which is provided by controller. Or you can buy Nvidia shield 😁

I think we're capped at 1TB or maybe 10TB per month at full speeds and I doubt my upload rates could handle that anyway, but it wouldn't route over my local wi-fi network? Even accessing my servers on a virtual machine from my external IP address, my provider does a decent job of localizing the traffic, so it's quite a bit faster than if I were at a more remote access location.

I like playing on the big screen and surround hi-fi, but this would be a fun alternative to tinker around with. My new controller with do either X or D mode over Bluetooth, as well as connecting up to a Switch as their Pro controller. I plan on getting an Asus Bluetooth USB receiver for my PC and one for my NES and SNES Classic boxes. Still using a Logitech F710 on my PC, for the time being.

Sorry, getting a bit off topic here perhaps. Is there already a thread about this floating around somewhere?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think we're capped at 1TB or maybe 10TB per month at full speeds and I doubt my upload rates could handle that anyway, but it wouldn't route over my local wi-fi network?

Sorry, getting a bit off topic here perhaps. Is there already a thread about this floating around somewhere?
Yeah I was talking "mobile mobile", like work commute or something. Of course at home it would go through your LAN no problem or at least I think so? It has no problem on my local NAT with UPnP enabled.

As for Geforce now threads this is the most fresh one:

Seems I'm confusing local streaming and cloud based services too here. I am my own cloud, so I don't really need that aspect of it, though if over the internet, I'm sure their upload rates are a lot better than mine.

Seems I'm confusing local streaming and cloud based services too here. I am my own cloud, so I don't really need that aspect of it, though if over the internet, I'm sure their upload rates are a lot better than mine.
I highly doubt your own cloud allows you to play the most demanding PC titles in the bus on your smartphone :cool:
It's a Nvidia gaming cloud streaming your games to practically any device. PC, Android, Mac and Nvidia shield. You play on your device, your commands are sent to a VM inside their cloud, processed and the resulting frames are streamed back to you. You can take Elite and hundreds of other games practically anywhere provided you have an OK connection. Last I checked, my android said 8Mbps is required to play. You can go below but it won't be smooth. Free tier runs on an Nvidia Tesla P40, paid tier uses RTX enabled GPUs. All in all, it's both a revolution and a future of gaming. You will be able to play on any internet-connected potato, especially considering 5g is on the rise.

Yeah, as mentioned, I'm sure their upload rates are better than mine, so definitely a use case scenario there, but not really what I was initially thinking of doing.

Not using Horizons means you can't land on planets, or buy certain ships that are horizons only, or use multicrew.

That's it, it does nothing else.

Greetings CMDRs, Im stuck in SRV and want to unglitch through logging out into vanilla mode. Any sugestions how to do it? I can't see any option of starting a game without Horizons in the launcher

Greetings CMDRs, Im stuck in SRV and want to unglitch through logging out into vanilla mode. Any sugestions how to do it? I can't see any option of starting a game without Horizons in the launcher
How do you run the game? When I run it from Steam I have 3 options: Elite, Horizons and Elite:H VR mode, though they don't matter at all. Launcher starts and right next to the play button there is a mode selector (it sometimes appears half a second later than the launcher). And currently you can also select Fleet carriers beta there. Maybe you added some command line arguments prohibiting you from selecting something other than Horizons to your shortcut?

Top Bottom