What happens with ED in far future

Frontier have never said they'd release a version of the game that is compatible with offline play, but I think it's unlikely. They decided not to release an offline version initially because it was incompatible with their vision of the game and its mechanics (BGS, shared galaxy, community events, etc.) so I don't think they'll fork the project source now just to strip off all of those pieces. I'm not in their employ, so this is just me talking as a regular player though.

Given that, what will happen is that eventually when Frontier wants to move on, when the game is no longer popular, is not shifting enough units and/or store merch, they'll retire the servers and Elite will become unplayable. That's the deal with always online, games-as-a-service. You can play it only as long as the company decides it's worthwhile to keep the servers on.

So enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Apparently they did say that they'd release the server application. But I don't believe that.

Apparently they did say that they'd release the server application. But I don't believe that.

I asked Dav once how much data is generated in one tick back a year or so- it was 1 GB. Unless we can have an option to limit what gets processed (or that no change = no data generated) its going to be one hell of a compile each day.

I asked Dav once how much data is generated in one tick back a year or so- it was 1 GB. Unless we can have an option to limit what gets processed (or that no change = no data generated) its going to be one hell of a compile each day.
They'd probably simplify the BGS by a huge amount if that were to happen anyway. Plus there'd be less data if you were running a server for just a few friends.

They'd probably simplify the BGS by a huge amount if that were to happen anyway. Plus there'd be less data if you were running a server for just a few friends.

True- I was wondering what parameters they would include, like limiting processing to a beta style capsule space for example.

True- I was wondering what parameters they would include, like limiting processing to a beta style capsule space for example.
Yeah, likewise... not a clue... It'd feel like a PG with a private (if any) BGS...
Of course, no PP options or items since it won't be Open...

I don't play any of my other space games today (WC, WC2, WC Privateer, WC3, Freelancer), mostly due to their age.
Yeah, but we have made an immense technological breakthrough since these games. They were a technological marvel back then because it was the state of the art at that time. I tried to play Wing Commander in the last 4 years once, and decided to keep memories fond instead of tarnishing them. Sometimes it's not worth it.

Elite on the other hand is really good visual-wise, and has VR. Unless there will be some worthy competition we will move to, I don't see it dying (unless they pull the plug without giving an alternative, which would be against their word and also unfortunate). The point I am trying to make here is that Elite (and current games in general) are in a state where they resemble reality in such ways that our imagination doesn't need to fill that many gaps as with the Classics you mentioned. So yes, I can see myself jumping into the game in a few years time if it's still there, why not. On my gen 3 high-end VR headset with eye and hand/finger tracking, preferably :cool:

Doesn't matter. In 10 years time most of the "majority demographic" playing ED that were kids in the 1980s and therefore nostalgic about Elite and appreciative of FD's efforts to give the franchise longevity will either be dead or have the reaction times of a lethargic sloth.

Hah! I am way ahead of you! Not dead yet, but definitely slow. :D

Regardless of whether or not Frontier Developments leave some sort of playable legacy version of Elite Dangerous around when the servers are finally disconnected, I think It's fairly likely that sometime after the game's demise, maybe years, maybe decades, but sometime there will be a crazy fan or group who will resurrect it somehow in some form.

I mean, look what happened with the previous Elite games...

Oolite (Original Elite)
Pioneer/Paragon/Jumpdrive (Frontier: Elite 2)
JJFFE and it's successors (Frontier: First Encounters)

Why not? If they plan to sunset the game, what damage would releasing the server application do to them? Compare that to the advantages:
  • They at some time stated that they would do exactly that.
  • The Elite series is the foundation of their success.
  • Many of the players are loyal followers since several decades.
  • There at some time might be an Elite 3 or Frontier 3.

Handing the community the old and outdated server application of ED, when they shut it down thus will be a smart move. The game will be old enough that only very few enthusiasts would still play. But the next development (and it's founding campaign) will be better off, if the company can point out that such a promise of "we build it, but in the end it will be your property" was kept.

So i guess they will stick to their promise. Of course, when that happens both ED and SC will be at the end of their life cycle and we'll be just kickstarting the next generation. :)

Truth be told, like with all aging software projects, there is a point when it doesn't make sense to patch the old code and starting fresh using new tech is advisable. In the case of a computer game it is even easier, because you don't have to worry about data and clients migration to new platform. So I am pretty open to the idea of purchasing Elite: Deadly. I mean why not? The only difference this time would be that I won't buy unfinished placeholder mess riding on goodwill alone.

Frontier have never said they'd release a version of the game that is compatible with offline play, but I think it's unlikely. They decided not to release an offline version initially because it was incompatible with their vision of the game and its mechanics (BGS, shared galaxy, community events, etc.) so I don't think they'll fork the project source now just to strip off all of those pieces. I'm not in their employ, so this is just me talking as a regular player though.

Given that, what will happen is that eventually when Frontier wants to move on, when the game is no longer popular, is not shifting enough units and/or store merch, they'll retire the servers and Elite will become unplayable. That's the deal with always online, games-as-a-service. You can play it only as long as the company decides it's worthwhile to keep the servers on.

So enjoy it while it lasts. :)

During the whole 'Offline Gate' thing, we had reassurances that if the game is ever 'Sunset' (Lord, do I HATE that Term), Frontier will release the code to allow the game to be played either offline or even allow players to set up their own server for themselves and friends. I don't know if that's possible with the state of the BGS at the moment but I hope they'll be able to keep that promise.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
During the whole 'Offline Gate' thing, we had reassurances that if the game is ever 'Sunset' (Lord, do I HATE that Term), Frontier will release the code to allow the game to be played either offline or even allow players to set up their own server for themselves and friends. I don't know if that's possible with the state of the BGS at the moment but I hope they'll be able to keep that promise.

I hope they do, but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Can't say for sure what will happen to ED in the future but I know exactly what we'll all be doing and that's filling out bug reports wanting to know why when we go left do our space legs wonder off to the right on their own.

We will be able to play Elite Dangerous everywhere on the go with the wireless 10g network and VR will be neuro-chirurgically implemented inside our head. So I will sit in the subaway and play Elite Dangerous in my mind.

After login you can play Elite offline with the tutorials and challenge missions. That's not nothing, there is a whole planet for the "infiltration tutorial", and the jump tutorial has two systems IIRC. So I assume they already have the tech for offline.

Now just imagine a custom server, a playground of a few systems, some mutators to the bgs and a clear alignment between players and two or three factions. That's basically Stellaris in first person. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Given the last twenty years and how phones have changed, Cloud Servers will become a thing of the past. So small they will become they will be distributed directly to your router with a license key. ISP's will then offer subscription entertainment packages with Elite and other on-Line games, locally and home hosted, right along side your favorite sports channels.

That's a completely different but interesting point of view

Top Bottom