What is E:D galaxy missing? (list)

Lets make a somewhat complete list of what Frontier has no (yet) put into/around the galaxy. Would love to see some more of these put into the game.
This post will be updated if people come up with more.

1. Comets
  2. Asteroids not contained in belts
  3. Having only generic star types. (sub types like magnetars, radio pulsars, accretion-powered pulsars etc. are not distinguished)
  4. Protoplanetary discs
  5. Virgo Stellar Stream
  6. Ring of galactic debris from Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy
  7. Light bending around neutron stars like the black holes have, although not as extreme.
  8. Sunspots

• Globular star clusters (not possible to add).
  • Accretion discs around neutron stars and black holes (possible).
  • Any minor planets that are in size somewhere between the largest ring/asteroid-cluster rock (about 2km) and the smallest planet/moon (about 200 km). The only 10 km sized asteroids in the game are the asteroid-base starports. (probably not possible)
  • Rotational oblation for stars (possible). We already have rotational oblation for planets.
  • Tidal stretching of tidally locked moons in near-Roche-limit orbits (possible).
  • Planets with hydrospheres made of liquids other than water or ammonia (may already exist in game).
  • Substitution of a proc-genned star to add UY Scuti (possible).
  • Dynamic, ireversible events (novas, supernovas, planetary collisions, asteroid strikes on inhabited planets, etc) (not possible).

1. Space debris

• Black hole photon rings and shadow.
I think no. 5 would be awesome to see in the galaxy map, although we probably could not travel there..

Last edited:
Comets are already there. They're just invisble.

Some things are simply going to be impossible to add without completely rewriting the game. Adding extra stars to the galaxy, for example, is impossible. Adding extra planets to a star system is effectively impossible. Adding protoplanetary discs, on the other hand, ought to be possible as they'd be a property of the star.

For my own additions to the list:
  • Globular star clusters (not possible to add).
  • Accretion discs around neutron stars and black holes (possible).
  • Any minor planets that are in size somewhere between the largest ring/asteroid-cluster rock (about 2km) and the smallest planet/moon (about 200 km). The only 10 km sized asteroids in the game are the asteroid-base starports. (probably not possible)
  • Rotational oblation for stars (possible). We already have rotational oblation for planets.
  • Tidal stretching of tidally locked moons in near-Roche-limit orbits (possible).
  • Planets with hydrospheres made of liquids other than water or ammonia (may already exist in game).
  • Substitution of a proc-genned star to add UY Scuti (possible).
  • Dynamic, ireversible events (novas, supernovas, planetary collisions, asteroid strikes on inhabited planets, etc) (not possible).

I'd like to see manmade junk out there, like space debris - from old satellites and rockets or rocket parts.
According to Nasa, there is more than 500,000 pieces of space debris in orbit around the Earth that are between 1cm and 10cm in size. The number of particles smaller than 1cm exceeds 100 million. One could skip the latter though of course.

If they are not curious but their space-exploration is driven by population growth why should they go any further than to the next couple of systems to colonize? The galaxy is more or less the same everywhere. The reason why we are under attack is because we shot first … I mean the bubble is in the way of their colonization plans.

As much as I'd love to marvel at many of the things listed so far, there's still the very basic question of "Why", i.e. what actual gameplay would be linked to these things. Of course coming up with interesting, challenging and enduring gameplay is a much harder thing to achieve.

Examples?
PRO: FD added the jets to neutron stars which aren't only pretty, but were combined with the FSD supercharging mechanics - great, well liked, and even with a little added risk/reward!
CON: FD added the multicrew feature which might be cool to try out and look at, but has practically no actual/useful/fun mechanics attached - and thus is naturally not very popular (from what I see/read).

Sometimes I do wonder why FD doesn't tap into the creativity of the ED community for such things. Looking back at the DDF or the (few) occasions we've had known about upcoming features - and the amount of ideas/feedback that were poured into the forums by those smart/creative/crazy CMDRs, this really seems an underused resource.

Light already does bend around Neutron stars and white dwarfs

-For me it would also be a re-vamp of stars... Many stellar types although we do not have direct images of photospheres other than like... 3? currently. Theoretically however many of the larger giant stars should be extremely diffuse and puffy rather than having solid edges. It might not be all too visible but it'd be a nice addition to realism.

-Variable stars - There are Stellar classes that do have variability on the order of hours... some of which are due to massive radial changes, this would be a nice addition, again mostly visual.

-Polar outflows - There are stellar classes that are theorised to have large mass flows from their polar regions... protostars in particular.

-Close, contact, and parasitic binary stars. Much like accretion disks, close orbiting binaries should be teardrop distorted.

Other stuff has already been mentioned, but where you mention neutron stars you need to add white dwarfs too, much of the physics of them is rather similar, and such you expect pretty crazy stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom