What kind of company gatekeeps a part of their game from people who buy DLC?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If you upgrade to Odyssey, Frontier will separate you from your friends who play Horizons 4.0.

If you don't consider this a punishment, you might have the wrong friends. :unsure:
You're creating an artificial blame on FD. It was the same separation of players before the launch of 4.0. Stop distorting reality. FD offered 4.0 as a free demo to Odyssey engine, to check their systems.
It's an individual's decision whether to buy a DLC or not, so this whole situation can be resolved only by the players that can run Odyssey but don't buy it on purpose. FD is not a charity.

There are 8 of us total. 2 people bought OD. 3 of our group don't have money to just throw around at everything. We aren't 16 year olds kiddo.
Maybe people with better jobs don't need you as a friend? Maybe friendship is all about sharing the fun with others even if they don't have better jobs than you? Just a thought.
Friends buy their friends gifts all the time; if 3 of my friends were missing out on not playing with us due to a lack of funds, then myself and/or others in the group would purchase the game/expansion for them.

Alternatively, if the group of friends prefers to be cheap, they can use Minimal Elite Dangerous Launcher and all play Horizons 4.0 together.

The kicker is that for my friends who paid for OD they now can't play with us.
Have you ever heard of a company releasing DLC that locks those who buy it out of portions of the game? That's the problem. Not that people who don't buy it can't get legs, but if you get legs you can no longer play with people who didn't... that ing insane.
Not true. They can use Minimal Elite Dangerous Launcher and all play Horizons 4.0 together.

What do people think is going to happen next?

My bet is: 3.8 is deprecated (likely) - so fdev can save on the server costs and QA testing that the 3.8 version still runs

So we end up with
  • Horizons players having EDH4.0
  • Odyssey players having EDH4.0 and EDO4.0

So at that point EDH and EDO players can play together on 4.0.

So why not now?

I guess the 'whiter' of players are mainly reacting to the OP having a tantrum, but their basic point is sound - in not giving Odyssey players (the ones who are paying for the latest game - not 'freeloaders') access to the latest versions (EDH4.0) fdev are just annoying people and delaying the inevitable rollout of EDH4.0 to those players. A weird decision.

No offense guys, but it's pretty much industry standard that people without a certain DLC can still play with people that own the DLC in a multiplayer game. You just don't have access to the DLC's contents yourself or you have to disable the DLC for the session. But you and your friends can still play the game together. That being said, Paradox ("notorious" for many, many DLC over the lifespan of a game) allow you to even play WITH the DLC in a multiplayer game, if the host owns the DLCs. For example, if you don't own the Leviathans DLC for Stellaris, but your friend does, you can still bump into and get your spaceships eaten by a giant Space Dragon in a multiplayer game with said friend. That almost sounds like a...decent marketing strategy, doesn't it?

The only hilarious part with Elite is that it's actually the other way round: Because he OWNS the DLC, he cannot play with people that don't own the DLC. Either that's just an oversight by FDev that can be fixed "soon"(tm) or someone in the decision-making circles of FDev seriously needs a reality check.

It's quite simple. @Garf & @Sakashiro

The paid version contains legs and multiplayer.
The demo version is there to give an idea of how well Odyssey performs on your pc, and also as an ad for the paid version.

You're creating an artificial blame on FD. It was the same separation of players before the launch of 4.0. Stop distorting reality. FD offered 4.0 as a free demo to Odyssey engine, to check their systems.
It's an individual's decision whether to buy a DLC or not, so this whole situation can be resolved only by the players that can run Odyssey but don't buy it on purpose. FD is not a charity.
Crossplay with Horizons 4.0 was an advertised feature of Odyssey from the beginning. People have paid money for it.

And no, it does not depend on a console release any more. The feature is here now. Frontier is just deliberately blocking it by omitting a launcher entry.

Frontier is not a charity, and neither am I. If they don't unblock that feature soon, they won't see another cent from me. Not for Arx, not for future DLCs, and not for any other games they publish.

Use Min ED Launcher - it gives you EDH4 as an Ody owner.
Is this the thing from some time ago that let people see what Horizons would be like with the new client for non-Odyssey owners? The thing with that is, I bet it's still Odyssey as far as instancing goes tho (i.e. that you still won't be able to instance with non-Odyssey owning 4.0 players).

It's quite simple. @Garf & @Sakashiro

The paid version contains legs and multiplayer.
The demo version is there to give an idea of how well Odyssey performs on your pc, and also as an ad for the paid version.
The problem (for myself and others) is the 4.0 version performs badly on most VR pcs even after the year of attempted fixes, yet the other version (3.8) is no longer supported.
I can just about play 4.0 on my rig but its not enjoyable. 3.8 plays fantastic but is starting to show signs of deviation from what was and is fixed in 4.0 vrs 3.8.

Hopefully they will fix 4.0s performance, antialias, shadows, and darkness, soon™ especially where VR is concerned.

Because a Ryzen7 3700x, 32g sys ram, RTX 3060 12g, with an m.2 game drive, system is over spec for what they list for 4.0.

Its wierd though because :-
Elite Dangerous is sold as VR supporting.
Elite Dangerous 3.8 isnt supported by Fdev anymore.
Elite Dangerous 4.0 odyssey doesnt list as VR supporting.
Elite Dangerous 4.0 Horizons, I dont know if thats listed as being supported by VR or not as its not sold.

So if you buy Elite Dangerous now for VR your only VR supporting option is 3.8 but 3.8 isnt supported by Frontier now .... ?!?!?!?
:)

Last edited:
Is this the thing from some time ago that let people see what Horizons would be like with the new client for non-Odyssey owners? The thing with that is, I bet it's still Odyssey as far as instancing goes tho (i.e. that you still won't be able to instance with non-Odyssey owning 4.0 players).
no, it DOES allow instancing as Ody owner with non Ody owners if started as EDH4

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/4-0-now-live.608146/page-39#post-9946324

I have tested and confirmed that I can instance with a Horizons player as an Odyssey owner using the launch argument to launch Horizons 4.0.

Last edited:
It's not particularly unusual for multiplayer gamers to have to use an older version of a game when playing together. In this case, that version is 3.8 (which is the most recent version that each player purchased). That hasn't gone away.

Though usually it's for technical reasons (compatibility), whereas here it isn't. At least there's a workaround.

I don't get it. You have Odyssey then why would you play 4.0 which is just Odyssey without the on-foot stuff.

If its purely about playing with your friends you can all still play 3.8 together right? FD aren't stopping you playing together, you just have to use a different version, the main difference being you don't get the 4.0 engine, but that isn't much of a killer as 3.8 performs better than 4.0.

It's not particularly unusual for multiplayer gamers to have to use an older version of a game when playing together. In this case, that version is 3.8 (which is the most recent version that each player purchased). That hasn't gone away.
Nah - I have a LEP, so why can't I access EDH4.0? That's the most recent version of Horizons, and I have the LEP so I purchased it. And my accounts where I have Odyssey - why don't they have access to the latest versions of Horizons - as those accounts also purchased Horizons. Why are only 'freeloaders' getting access to the latest version of Horizons without using hacks?

Instancing rules as of now:
EDH4 meets EDH4
EDH3.8 meets EDH3.8 and EDLegacy
EDLegacy meets EDLegacy and EDH3.8
EDO meets EDO

Note: This is defined as by the MODE the executable runs in, NOT its associated licenses.
Oh ... so this isn't a solution to Odyssey players being able to instance with Horizons 4.0 players?

I don't get it. You have Odyssey then why would you play 4.0 which is just Odyssey without the on-foot stuff.

If its purely about playing with your friends you can all still play 3.8 together right? FD aren't stopping you playing together, you just have to use a different version, the main difference being you don't get the 4.0 engine, but that isn't much of a killer as 3.8 performs better than 4.0.
Your question is backwards. Why do we have to reserve 20 GB of disk space for an older version of the game when everyone has access to the latest version? Why can't Odyssey owners use the Horizons crossplay feature that they paid money for?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom