What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite

It will probably turn out OK.

Kickstarter and LEPer, I've already paid to support Frontier - mainly, if I am honest, for the nostalgia from the '84 days.

There's loads I'd like to see changed and updated (multicrew, powerplay, smuggling, C&P, bounty hunting, piracy etc) but I'm fairly sanguine and philosophical about it.

It will be fixed, or not. Either way the ride has been fun.

It's an expansion not a new game like NMS was, nice misrepresentation though.

I never claimed it was a new game. Its all new content though. And its being addressed more openly and more rapidly than anything Hello Games pulled off. They went silent for what, about six months? That's what I recall.

Do folks holding them up as paragons now are being amazingly hypoctitical.

Keep beating that straw though.

I never claimed it was a new game. Its all new content though. And its being addressed more openly and more rapidly than anything Hello Games pulled off. They went silent for what, about six months? That's what I recall.

It is called selective aminesia, they forget what truly took NMS to reach what it is today and try very VERY hard to compare it to a last month release.

By the way, if the NMS did it, why not Frontier? I vote for Frontier to start a 6 month full radio silence state with 0 updates, untill they have things sorted out. What you guys think?

It's only been 5 years since the last and first premium expansion, guys. Cut Frontier and their humble 100 dev Elite team some slack. 😏

🍻
Lets see.

You just had to pay for the base game and more one expansion to have 5 years of uninterrupt gameplay, with some content updates. Not needing to invest one single extra "moneyz" in the game, untill the last expansion... hummmm seems very unfair to me. HEY FRONTIER, WHERE ARE THE MONTHLY SUBS W ALL WHANT HUM??

100 people work at Frontier, and less than 10 are programers, the rest are all part of the dev team, but are not capable of fixing bugs or adding new content, besides new sounds/musics and 3d models.

It is called selective aminesia, they forget what truly took NMS to reach what it is today and try very VERY hard to compare it to a last month release.

By the way, if the NMS did it, why not Frontier? I vote for Frontier to start a 6 month full radio silence state with 0 updates, untill they have things sorted out. What you guys think?
Hey, sort your post out. You're quoting the wrong guy.

And no worries, I bought all the expansions 6 years ago. 2 expansions for only 180 USD since I had already bought the base game for 60. A steal of a deal by any measure, surely.

I wonder what I owe Nintendo for playing NES games for 30+ years. :eek:

🍻

Last edited:
What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite is the tremendous amount of development effort an expansion like this has required, and will require to make it work properly.

I mean, despite its rushed release and its problems, i can't foresee the content of any future expansion to be as time consuming and demanding as this. Not even Earthlikes (i mean, after they did this).

So, i think that once they make Odyssey solid enough, everything in the future will be downhill.
I understand your intent with this phrase...

...but, boy, that's definitely on the nose.

Downhill indeed.

I'm glad there are players that are optimistic. It's nice to be excited and hyped for a game. That said, I'd argue that given how long it took FDev to build EDO is not a positive, but a negative. At least three years, possibly longer, and it's current state is hardly complete. FC's were just a number game for balancing...and look how long that took (and it's still just mobile stations and little else).

I'm just hoping console launch still comes this year.

What makes me optimistic about Odyssey and the future of Elite is the tremendous amount of development effort an expansion like this has required, and will require to make it work properly.

I mean, despite its rushed release and its problems, i can't foresee the content of any future expansion to be as time consuming and demanding as this. Not even Earthlikes (i mean, after they did this).

So, i think that once they make Odyssey solid enough, everything in the future will be downhill.
Well, i hope youre right, but the only thing thats working for me right now is nitrous oxide.

You get it. People who whine about Odyssey being nothing have no clue that the platform that FDev has laid with Odyssey is truly worthy of the 'New Era' moniker.

I do understand the immediate frustration but Odyssey is a major achievement and really sets the stage for vast future expansion possibilities and iterations. It's part of the reason why I tend to think some of it comes across more as frightened SC users who also get it and can't handle the idea that Elite might be leapfrogging SC while that whole thing continues to trundle along the way it has..

It's like this; for all the craziness and aggro of these past couple of weeks for Elite & Odyssey.. that's basically been Star Citizen from day one of the end of the Kickstarter until now. Literally. And the Start Citizen 'players' have lapped it up with rationalization after rationalization.

Having said that, I don't wish for bad things for Star Citizen, I hope to see a great game come out of it, but conversely, some of what I've seen here looks like quite a lot of people who seem to only want bad things for Elite with all the dooming, FUD & concern trolling.

I just hope that FDev finally learns this lesson that the stakes are pretty high and giving the naysayers a field day needs to definitely be on the 'not to do' list.

Last edited:

LOL.

ED had more than a years worth of a head start than No Man's Sky AND was established in name decades prior. Looking at his list of patches/updates, you're telling me that Fdev has outdone HG's in terms of the content they had provided for NMS?

IMHO, Fdev address more bugs than providing more content. Period. Fixing bugs shouldn't be counted when it seems that the bugs that are fixed create more bugs that need to be fixed, and then it cascades. This is a symptom of serious testing deficiencies you don't see in projects with dedicated, inhouse testers. Imagine what kind of content we could have if the majority of the time wasn't spent on bugs and rushing new development out the door to satisfy a bottom dollar.

Last edited:
Well done agent OP. You flushed out the salty forum warriors who just sit by the keyboard waiting 24 hours a day for anyone to have the temerity to say anything positive. Good work!
One trip through the first page of your post history yields as much salt against people you think are salty. And you think you're different from these "warriors" how?

Lets see.

You just had to pay for the base game and more one expansion to have 5 years of uninterrupt gameplay, with some content updates. Not needing to invest one single extra "moneyz" in the game, untill the last expansion... hummmm seems very unfair to me. HEY FRONTIER, WHERE ARE THE MONTHLY SUBS W ALL WHANT HUM??

100 people work at Frontier, and less than 10 are programers, the rest are all part of the dev team, but are not capable of fixing bugs or adding new content, besides new sounds/musics and 3d models.
fdev has 600+ employees fyi

There's no atmosphere to speak of, no water, no flowing lava, no clouds, no real flora, no fauna.
Even the ground is still a 1980's hightmap, so you can rule out caves, tunnels and overhangs.

It's just horizons with some assets strewn around.
They place settlements. They can place mountains with caves as well.

Top Bottom