What Odyssey could and should have been like...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Seen this video of that other unspeakable space game, it was posted on youtube by our very own, top AX pilot, former CMDR, Katy Byrne, showing some proper first person perspective multicrew in a decent size ship. the video is awesome, showing 13 person multi crew, ship interiors, manned turrets, boarding parties....
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpIKcdI9t8

And after watching this, Frontier ought to be like:
1632478317593.png

Yea, the full ship interiors and multiplayer
look pretty crappy and boring indeed.
What in the world was she thinking?

I think the first issue here is Elite technically cannot support this level of play right now, they will need to fundamentally change how they do networking and implement an infrastructure to support it.
But that big of a change without additional gameplay changes, is a hard sell in time / effort to reward to fdev.
They'll also have to change how medium and large ships work - Do we finally get NPCs controlling aspects that can be replaced by a friend? for minimal to viable performance for the ship?

I think it's time to understand that Elite is Euro Truck Simulator in space - It can advertise it has online support, but it's not the core aspect of the game and more of a fun nice to have.
It offers the base level gameplay / gameplay loops but zero depth. That is okay, as long as thats how they market it (which it isn't).

- S

I think the first issue here is Elite technically cannot support this level of play right now, they will need to fundamentally change how they do networking and implement an infrastructure to support it.
But that big of a change without additional gameplay changes, is a hard sell in time / effort to reward to fdev.
They'll also have to change how medium and large ships work - Do we finally get NPCs controlling aspects that can be replaced by a friend? for minimal to viable performance for the ship?

I think it's time to understand that Elite is Euro Truck Simulator in space - It can advertise it has online support, but it's not the core aspect of the game and more of a fun nice to have.
It offers the base level gameplay / gameplay loops but zero depth. That is okay, as long as thats how they market it (which it isn't).

- S
That was the point of this thread, this video highlights how far short from "what could have been" Odyssey really landed. I notice it's been moved to general gaming, yet more white knightery suppressing anything that isnt lavishing unquestioning praise upon the game. Guess I'm outta here for another couple of months.

While I have my own idea of the perfect version of Elite, I accept that people like Odyssey for what it is. My big wish is that the DLCs were more "compartmentalized". For example, I'm interested in atmospheric planets, but I'm not that interested in Frontier's version of space legs. I'd rather Odyssey were instead two separate $20 DLCs, one focusing on legs and the other on new planets and exploration. You could have a little overlap, for example allow the atmo DLC to fly over and drive SRVs through the leg DLC ground settlements, but require leg DLC to actually get out and go inside those settlements. Basically the idea is that one DLC gives you the suit & tools needed to leave your ship, and the other DLC gives you the atmospheric landing module.

I also think had these been two separate self-contained DLCs, the exploration side might have received a little more love.

I think Frontier would have made just as much money this way, if not more, because the diehard fans would have bought both DLCs, whereas holdouts like myself would probably spend $20 for one or the other.

Seen this video of that other unspeakable space game, it was posted on youtube by our very own, top AX pilot, former CMDR, Katy Byrne, showing some proper first person perspective multicrew in a decent size ship. the video is awesome
How much are in for Commando?

edit - and how's the VR?

It's been said before and I'll just say it again..
FDev need to start work on Elite Dangerous 2 and scrub the current version, it just can't handle what SC have.
That isn't to say, once there are huge numbers of players in SC, that SC will handle it either. But we'll wait and see.

ED2 one step beyond.. (they can have that as a jingle). ;)

(one step beyond) could have been Madness iirc.

Last edited:
That was the point of this thread, this video highlights how far short from "what could have been" Odyssey really landed. I notice it's been moved to general gaming, yet more white knightery suppressing anything that isnt lavishing unquestioning praise upon the game. Guess I'm outta here for another couple of months.

It's a comparison thread so naturally, it'll get moved to general gaming.

I don't want the type of multicrew gameplay that SC has. In most SC ships starting from the Cutlass black upwards multicrewing is mandatory for the ship to perform to it's full potential. Yes, all the ships can be flown by one pilot, but without other players to man the turrets at least, the bigger ships are sitting ducks, as the amount of guns the pilot can control directly is limited. If the ship has a docked fighter or other small ship, that also needs a pilot.

Coordinating a group of players to man a bigger ship is not a small task. More often than not RL schedules get in the way, and even when the time fits, the other players might have other things planned. In SC that means the big ship stays in the hangar, and you fly one of the small one-seaters that function without additional crew.

As optional gameplay I'd full welcome those gameplay loops, and that is how ED works. Another player can take over your turrets or SLF, but they also work when you fly your ship alone, even if it's a Corvette or such. That is not saying that I'd not welcome at least partial ship interiors, the current implementation of the "armstrong moment" is an insult.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure both games are in a long alpha/beta phase.

Thank you, it's a point many seem to fail at grasping it seems. The original (entire) promise of the kickstart has not been fully relized yet.
Elite and SC both seem to just be releasing MVP features in increments. Difference being Elite is advertised as a "complete" and "working" product.

While I have my own idea of the perfect version of Elite, I accept that people like Odyssey for what it is. My big wish is that the DLCs were more "compartmentalized". For example, I'm interested in atmospheric planets, but I'm not that interested in Frontier's version of space legs. I'd rather Odyssey were instead two separate $20 DLCs, one focusing on legs and the other on new planets and exploration. You could have a little overlap, for example allow the atmo DLC to fly over and drive SRVs through the leg DLC ground settlements, but require leg DLC to actually get out and go inside those settlements. Basically the idea is that one DLC gives you the suit & tools needed to leave your ship, and the other DLC gives you the atmospheric landing module.

Meanwhile I occasionally return to NMS offering a little bit of everything through continuous updates without the nickle and dime for single players.

ED would be the classic "get the GOTY edition with everything DLC at the end of cycle", however the end of the cycle probably also means the service being turned off with the server-side game logic disappearing forever.

Star Citizen expecting multi-crew gameplay is out of the picture anyway.

Thank you, it's a point many seem to fail at grasping it seems. The original (entire) promise of the kickstart has not been fully relized yet.
Elite and SC both seem to just be releasing MVP features in increments. Difference being Elite is advertised as a "complete" and "working" product.
Elite was sold as a complete product in 2014. Yes original backers knew/expected additional dlcs in the future - dlcs. To a complete working product.

SC ... yeah.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom