Ships What ship to mine in hi res or haz res in solo?

Nobody argues here about the Cutter superiority as a soft miner - the nick of "queen of mining" is worth. Sure the Cutter is "superior" at mining in "soft" ( no constant waves of Pirates each 3-5 minutes, with a significant percentage of Big boys and Elite between them) .
But when confronted with fighting AND efficient mining, the Cutter is THE worst of the 3 big.

Here we talk about mining in ResH, where you may have waves of 1-3-6 pirates swarming you each 5 minutes.

And the Cutter - in this especial conditions - simply cannot hold his own very well, compared with the Annie and the Vette - you have no space to maneuver, the boost ( main "weapon" of the Cutter) is useless, and the fact the Cutter have, by far, the worst agility of all 3 , combined with crappy hard points position, make the Cutter the lesser ship on this situation.

You cannot achieve a good balance between firepower, tanking, mining and decent cargo space ( over 256 tones) in the Cutter. Simply as that.
In a scale from 1 to 10, I consider the Vette at top, with 10, the Annie next with 9, and the Cutter with 7, followed by T10 with 5.
Again, we talk about mining in combat conditions, alone ( not in a wing) in Hazardous ReS

Read, built tried it.
Approval !!! mining at Resource Extraction Site [Hazardous] works great with the Corvette, just knock everything out.
Previously i spent a lot of time with mining in Cutter and T-10, both works with careful mining between 15-20 km too, that's different

Hi all. I discovered mining for engineering purposes and i fond it fun!
Now i want to know what's the best ship for mining solo in good location and having a good chance ti beat pirates (pve)
if you can give me also a build i'll thank you twice. :D
You do not need to "beat" pirates in PvE, you only need to know how to stop them attacking you. In mining, the first rule is never bring cargo into any mining area. This includes ores. Pirates ignore limpets, materials, data and FRESH ore but if you enter a mining area with cargo of any kind in a cargo rack (including ore!), you will be attacked. So, no cargo in the VIP room, then let the pirate scan your ship, complain about how poor he is and then ... leave you alone.

Second, learn to win the interdiction mini-game. Against NPCs the interdiction mini-game is pretty easy to beat and even if you are successfully interdicted, they are easy to evade and escape and if you cannot do THAT, NPC pirates are still pretty easy to beat. I bring this up because you have to get your ores to market, but you do NOT usually have to fight to get there.

Third, RUN! If interdicted, you are not going to win a fight against an OP pirate ship in your mining ship loaded to the brim with valuable ores, you are going to RUN!

Fourth, get FAST! When you enter a system it takes a few seconds for the program to start dropping in the pirates so, get fast! Get in, (get fuel,) get out. Want to avoid NPC pirates and scans from local security ships? GET FAST!

I mine only high value minerals Alexandrite/Benitoite/Grandidierite/Void Opals, not cheap stuff like Bromellite/LTD. 128t cargo holds up to 100M Cr of those.
Of course the time I need depends on luck with mining spot. I found a planet with nice overlapping spots near my home system.
And deep core mining is much more fun than the laser one.
Lol man, you do NOT mine brome for market value, but yes for missions ! You get in some systems 15-50 millions for 30-90 tones of brome !
I never sold my bromellite, why to do that ?! Before you get half of your 128 tones I fill an Annie with 260-270 tones of brome, for 7-8 missions at once !
And laser mining in ResH is also a lot more fun than boring deep core mining :ROFLMAO:.... and did I mention, also a lot more profitable ?

Last edited:
Read, built tried it.
Approval !!! mining at Resource Extraction Site [Hazardous] works great with the Corvette, just knock everything out.
Previously i spent a lot of time with mining in Cutter and T-10, both works with careful mining between 15-20 km too, that's different
The Vette is the Furious Miner, I feel sorry for the NPC Pirates....

You do not need to "beat" pirates in PvE, you only need to know how to stop them attacking you. In mining, the first rule is never bring cargo into any mining area. This includes ores. Pirates ignore limpets, materials, data and FRESH ore but if you enter a mining area with cargo of any kind in a cargo rack (including ore!), you will be attacked. So, no cargo in the VIP room, then let the pirate scan your ship, complain about how poor he is and then ... leave you alone.

Second, learn to win the interdiction mini-game. Against NPCs the interdiction mini-game is pretty easy to beat and even if you are successfully interdicted, they are easy to evade and escape and if you cannot do THAT, NPC pirates are still pretty easy to beat. I bring this up because you have to get your ores to market, but you do NOT usually have to fight to get there.

Third, RUN! If interdicted, you are not going to win a fight against an OP pirate ship in your mining ship loaded to the brim with valuable ores, you are going to RUN!

Fourth, get FAST! When you enter a system it takes a few seconds for the program to start dropping in the pirates so, get fast! Get in, (get fuel,) get out. Want to avoid NPC pirates and scans from local security ships? GET FAST!

" In mining, the first rule is never bring cargo into any mining area" 🤣🤣

Get a Vette, even an Annie, !

You do not run away of Pirates - you fight & kill them - just get a bigger stick !

Right before to post this, I entered a ResH with my miner Annie loaded with 86 tones of Osmium. I needed more 36 tones to fulfill the mission.
Dropped at 5 km of center, in the zone with max concentration of Pirates. My Annie has 3 Class III PA, and a Class IV LR & TV beam. And some MC with Corrosive. Is not yet fully engineered, with only some 2,5MJ shield.

Dropped in, 4 pips on engines, boosted and boosted again. From those 2-3 wings of Pirates floating on middle and waiting for "meat", only a wing followed me. At 15 km of center I stopped, and popped all those 3 pirates in less than 2 minutes. A triple hit of class III PA level 5 eng in a medium ship is a hard punch. Most Pirates drop shields after first hit. Small ships sometimes pop in just one hit.
I do not worry about one wing of Pirates. Two of them, a bit harder . The only "must" is in the fact you need to kill them FAST. You cannot wait and dance 5 minutes for a kill because they will come like flies, one after the other, and soon you will deal not with only 2-3 but with 5-10 of them.

And the Annie can kill FAST. The Vette.... even FASTER.
just watch:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT9_husEyUw

Last edited:
I just use an anaconda. Npcs are weaksauce at the res sites. Bi weave and choice of guns make fighting a breeze. Mining gear is whatever you want. Dont over think it.
Yup. And the frags bonus are more than great. But I will not go so far to say all NPC are potatoes. Especially if you are not great at killing them fast, sometimes you can get swarmed pretty fast. And you can tank only up to a point....

Hi all. I discovered mining for engineering purposes and i fond it fun!
Now i want to know what's the best ship for mining solo in good location and having a good chance ti beat pirates (pve)
if you can give me also a build i'll thank you twice. :D
Choose any ship, Just show up with an empty hold or so be it you will be bothered 100%! Not some of the time 100%

Top Bottom