Ships What ship to mine in hi res or haz res in solo?

You see, my friend, fast mining means 3 class II mining lasers ( or 2 class II and 2 class I ) AND 3 limpets for each of them = 3 x class V controller limpets.
If you add the refinery, the prospector, the detailed scanner, you realize you "loose" 6 comparts only for mining tools, ( or 7 even 8 if you count with the cargo racks) .
That will let the Cutter almost fragile for sustained combat, and you lose also 3 class II hardpoints.... You can hold your high for 5-10 15 minutes and 3-5 waves, but not so much for a wave or two, combined ( 3 - 6 NPC at once) every 5 minutes or less, for an hour....
The Major handicap is you cannot boost at will when you are in the middle of rocks, and you have a hard time turning that big, heavy whale, to face several attackers at once.... You will tank hits, damage, up to a point when you are on the last ring, because you cannot kill them fast enough to allow you to resume mining and do an efficient mining in the same time.
Well I have to say I know very little of laser mining, liking more about that core stuff with nice fireworks :D

How much tonnage do you want to mine?

You can do it in an unengineered hauler, and just boost away from pirates... Just use silent running, no shield and a heat sink...

Or you can get one of the big ships and pack lots of cargo.... With guns and large amounts of shields.

Lots of scope for builds in any ship you want to fly.

Except you can build a Annie or better, a Vette, and kill them then resume the mining, The boost on frags is so great - is worth the effort. Is the opposite of mining in wilderness, alone, when you can watch a movie and do the mining. It Is a stressful ambient, indeed, but also a lot of fun, with tons of adrenaline.
Sorry I won't bother killing Pirates while mining, Mats I gather killing them are always full in my stash anyway, when i need Bounties I get there with a proper Combat ships ;)

Sorry I won't bother killing Pirates while mining, Mats I gather killing them are always full in my stash anyway, when i need Bounties I get there with a proper Combat ships ;)
Sure you can do one thing at the time.... or you can do all things at once, and obvious, gain more in less time. Each one choose his way :sneaky:.
I found just mining, in decent quantities, ( above 150-200 tones, at least) to be a bit boring, so having some fight in mid-time is quite entertainment.
The fact you harvest manuf and extra credits is welcome. Also, the frags bonus reduce the mining time to a reasonable amount, tough.

Last edited:
I only mine Tritium for my FC once in a while, if I need money I go trading with my Cutter, way much more profitable than that ;)
Except when u are in Colonia.... I won't pay 150k - 170k / tone, or more.... I need some more 2000 tones to get back on the bubble, and in the mid-time, I made almost 2 billions here with massacre and mining missions.... the Colonia economy is a bit different from the bubble, tough...

Except when u are in Colonia.... I won't pay 150k - 170k / tone, or more.... I need some more 2000 tones to get back on the bubble, and in the mid-time, I made almost 2 billions here with massacre and mining missions.... the Colonia economy is a bit different from the bubble, tough...
Last time I went to Colonia those poor "colonials" didn't have any good stuff that help enjoy your life, I mean good tobacco, single malts, decent wine...nothing of the sort, could not really live there :ROFLMAO:

Last time I went to Colonia those poor "colonials" didn't have any good stuff that help enjoy your life, I mean good tobacco, single malts, decent wine...nothing of the sort, could not really live there :ROFLMAO:
Lol man, you right, a lot of space dust here, the engineers require human bodies in exchange for their services ( Alien movie must have been inspired here ! ) - but hey - I did manage to unlock them all for both my accounts, so now I have some sweet extra-options to toy with my modules & weapons....
But yeah, I plan to go back in a couple of weeks, I miss the town shinny lights😂

I find the Imperial Cutter really superior to the Federal Corvette or the Anaconda for my mining style, because the canopy is almost at the front and the cargo hatch is also quite forward and unobstructed.
Having the nose almost on the Asteroid speeds up things significantly (no laser falloff, short travel for the collectors), and I do with just two Medium Lasers, 8 collectors and 4 prospectors.
It is important that the latter are on a single, as large as possible Prospector Limpet Controller (probably Class 5).
Expiring Prospectors do not alternate between controllers, and Prospector numbers scale better with class than Collector numbers.
I find this leaves some room for both defense and offence.

Prospecting quickly and getting aligned with the turning axis of fast spinning, irregular or large asteroids quickly help increase overall efficiency.

The Cutter is also quite fast with the cargo hatch still open.
The Shields help in Resource Extraction Sites, and to me the large cargo capacity and a reasonable jump range matter as well. Well, they did more before I got a Fleet Carrier.
With a Federal Corvette you waste more firepower unless you turn on the enemies, which of course you can do faster than with an Imperial Cutter or an Anaconda.

Whatever you use, remember that a single medium Mining Laser mines faster than two small ones combined.

I find the Imperial Cutter really superior to the Federal Corvette or the Anaconda for my mining style, because the canopy is almost at the front and the cargo hatch is also quite forward and unobstructed.
Having the nose almost on the Asteroid speeds up things significantly (no laser falloff, short travel for the collectors), and I do with just two Medium Lasers, 8 collectors and 4 prospectors.
It is important that the latter are on a single, as large as possible Prospector Limpet Controller (probably Class 5).
Expiring Prospectors do not alternate between controllers, and Prospector numbers scale better with class than Collector numbers.
I find this leaves some room for both defense and offence.

Prospecting quickly and getting aligned with the turning axis of fast spinning, irregular or large asteroids quickly help increase overall efficiency.

The Cutter is also quite fast with the cargo hatch still open.
The Shields help in Resource Extraction Sites, and to me the large cargo capacity and a reasonable jump range matter as well. Well, they did more before I got a Fleet Carrier.
With a Federal Corvette you waste more firepower unless you turn on the enemies, which of course you can do faster than with an Imperial Cutter or an Anaconda.

Whatever you use, remember that a single medium Mining Laser mines faster than two small ones combined.
Nobody argues here about the Cutter superiority as a soft miner - the nick of "queen of mining" is worth. Sure the Cutter is "superior" at mining in "soft" ( no constant waves of Pirates each 3-5 minutes, with a significant percentage of Big boys and Elite between them) .
But when confronted with fighting AND efficient mining, the Cutter is THE worst of the 3 big.

Here we talk about mining in ResH, where you may have waves of 1-3-6 pirates swarming you each 5 minutes.

And the Cutter - in this especial conditions - simply cannot hold his own very well, compared with the Annie and the Vette - you have no space to maneuver, the boost ( main "weapon" of the Cutter) is useless, and the fact the Cutter have, by far, the worst agility of all 3 , combined with crappy hard points position, make the Cutter the lesser ship on this situation.

You cannot achieve a good balance between firepower, tanking, mining and decent cargo space ( over 256 tones) in the Cutter. Simply as that.
In a scale from 1 to 10, I consider the Vette at top, with 10, the Annie next with 9, and the Cutter with 7, followed by T10 with 5.
Again, we talk about mining in combat conditions, alone ( not in a wing) in Hazardous ReS

Last edited:
And the Cutter - in this especial conditions - simply cannot hold his own very well, compared with the Annie and the Vette - you have no space to maneuver, the boost ( main "weapon" of the Cutter) is useless, and the fact the Cutter have, by far, the worst agility of all 3 , combined with crappy hard points position, make the Cutter the lesser ship on this situation.
I do not object. I' just say that Asteroids don't keep me from boosting, and make good brakes for a Cutter with a Class 8 Bi-Weave Shield Generator.
Edit: You're probably referring to the limpets - That's one reason I want them to finish quickly. Idle Collector Limpets can follow a boosting Cutter.

Last edited:
My miner is very similar to the one Frags posted above. Krait II, dedicated core-miner. Armed to turn tables on any NPC who wants my stuff. Good speed and jump, to make flying to far-flung best sell stations a snap. 128t capacity dovetails nicely with my patience thresholds lol.

Twin Reverb

Here an example ( recorded 15 min ago ) of what you get in ResH - 21 tones brome from JUST ONE rock ! I filled 210tones of brome AND 45 tones tritium in just 42 minutes, WITH the bonus of 11 millions in bounties from some 25-30 angry & hungry Pirates. Was my second trip on this spot, the first one I targeted Tritium rocks ( need to fill my carrier belly in order to get back home...)
I took some dam. last wave ( 2 Imp Clippers and a FdL + a Annie and 2 Cheffy ) since I was focusing the Annie and some other Pirate pop my shields fast with rails...)
The Annie I use here have only 2k shields, cuz Is hard to get here, in Colonia, Encoded - and all my SBs are grade I and II - for now... But you can get easily the Annie at 4-5 k shields and she will do even better.
I drop the cargo for missions, got some 65 millions in missions payments and extra 11 millions in bounties. All in less than 1 h. A lot of fun included :p

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoVdV_8FMho

I do not object. I' just say that Asteroids don't keep me from boosting, and make good brakes for a Cutter with a Class 8 Bi-Weave Shield Generator.
Edit: You're probably referring to the limpets - That's one reason I want them to finish quickly. Idle Collector Limpets can follow a boosting Cutter.
Asteroids can, and WILL keep you from boosting. Just watch the fields with high density, rocks everywhere at 600-1000 of your ship. And the peculiar situation where you just prospected 2 rocks with great concentration. Boost away ? Nop, you cannot, you need first to get a free path, and you will lose prospector marks when start fighting most of the time now ( I cannot say is a new feature or a bug, but marked rocks have a bad tendency of losing the prospectors when I start fighting - even if I stay near, under 100-2000m, and I use grade A prospectors with 7,7km range)

My miner is very similar to the one Frags posted above. Krait II, dedicated core-miner. Armed to turn tables on any NPC who wants my stuff. Good speed and jump, to make flying to far-flung best sell stations a snap. 128t capacity dovetails nicely with my patience thresholds lol.

Twin Reverb
Krait as a miner ? Not for me, sorry, pathetic cargo space.... pocket credits and too much time involved to get some little credits.... I only do industrial scale mining, for real money and for less than an hour. I cannot imagine a Krait making 100 millions / hour, including on that the travel time to mining spot AND back at market. And if jumped by a double wing of medium / big Pirates, the mining Krait only option is to run. I prefer to stand my ground. Have much more fun fighting the pirates, tough....
But if you have fun on deep core mining, keep going on, mate - no matter what you use, the fun factor should be the first priority.

Last edited:
Krait as a miner ? Not for me, sorry, pathetic cargo space.... pocket credits and too much time involved to get some little credits.... I only do industrial scale mining, for real money and for less than an hour. I cannot imagine a Krait making 100 millions / hour, including on that the travel time to mining spot AND back at market. And if jumped by a double wing of medium / big Pirates, the mining Krait only option is to run. I prefer to stand my ground. Have much more fun fighting the pirates, tough....
But if you have fun on deep core mining, keep going on, mate - no matter what you use, the fun factor should be the first priority.
I mine only high value minerals Alexandrite/Benitoite/Grandidierite/Void Opals, not cheap stuff like Bromellite/LTD. 128t cargo holds up to 100M Cr of those.
Of course the time I need depends on luck with mining spot. I found a planet with nice overlapping spots near my home system.
And deep core mining is much more fun than the laser one.

Top Bottom