What should be in the Aussie

Now that Arctic and SA are over with, I think the next big DLC will be Australia. Even if it's not the next one, I bet $10 it's gonna be out within at least a few months.

Bold animals are ones that if it's just a 4 pack, they get in instantly, no exceptions
Red kangaroo
Queensland Koala
Emu
Tasmanian devil

Southern cassowary
Red-necked wallaby
Common wombat
Central bearded dragon
Dingo

Aboriginal themed building pieces and art along with Aboriginal art and those yellow crossing signs

Campaign wise, it'd be cool to see something based around rescuing animals from the bushfires

Kangaroo and koala are a must for australia I guess, and I would love to see tasmanian devil. I think it would quite fit the conservation theme of the game. For the last spot, hard to say, I would like echidna. But a dingo or emu are more likely.

If I had to choose four habitat species for an Australia Pack, these would be my choices:

Red kangaroo – This is probably the only Australian animal I would truly expect – they are the most commonly kept of the three large kangaroos in Europe and are also common in zoos elsewhere in the world, are the largest living species of marsupial and would add a much-needed desert species to the Planet Zoo animal roster
Common brushtail possum – I have already explained in another thread why I would like this species – it would be an excellent example of an arboreal marsupial that also has a diversity of potential colour morphs including a particularly stunning golden form; I would personally prefer this species to the koala, which has never struck me as a particularly interesting animal
Emu – It genuinely pained me to pass over the black swan, but the emu is such a quintessential Australian species that it needed to be included; it is even more widely-kept than the red kangaroo in European zoos, is commonly mixed with the red kangaroo in zoo enclosures and would add another desert animal to the game
Merten’s water monitor – This is perhaps my oddest choice, a relatively small but long and slender monitor from the wetlands of northern Australia; I felt at least one lizard needed to be represented, as Australia has the highest diversity of lizard species on earth; I chose this species above any other monitor lizard on account of its extremely endangered status; despite that they are relatively frequent in zoos

I expect the following:
- Red kangaroo.
- Emu.
- Koala.
- Echidna.
- Frill-necked lizard (exhibit).

I want:
- Grey kangaroo (walkthrough animal).
- Emu.
- Tasmanian devil.
- Koala.

Every unique creature exclusive to Australia.
Roll out all the marsupials first of course.
All kangas, all birds, all lizards, all SPIDERS

I would love, for a top 4 :
Kangaroo
Koala
Possum

And for the last one I can't decide between the emu and a wallaby with walk-through habitat. Because, you know, wallaby are sooo cute !

I would say:
1) Red Kangaroo it would be disastrous to not include the most iconic Australian animal.
2) Koala same as above as I’d say they’re a close second.
3) Wombat adds something unlike any current animals.
4) Australian pelican need more birds.
5) Exhibit animal Frilled lizard

An Australia theme for the next DLC seems like a good prediction to me.

Bold animals are ones that if it's just a 4 pack, they get in instantly, no exceptions
Red kangaroo
Queensland Koala
Emu
Tasmanian devil

Southern cassowary
Red-necked wallaby
Common wombat
Central bearded dragon
Dingo

I'd be happy with those and the first four would be my choice and prediction if it’s limited to four animals. The koala, kangaroo and emu are the most iconic Australian species and the Tassie devil has a good conservation message.

I love cassowaries and wallabies are good for small zoos. Personally I think I’d pick the echidna over the dingo.

My hope is also for some good foliage including at least a couple of eucalypts of varying heights.

I would also be happy with another building set and decor as well. I know some would rather have just animals or a smaller building set and more animals but I like the current system. If you were to ask me on the games release I would have probably said mostly animals but I love the decor and building sets almost as much. When I visit a zoo I really love how exhibits and themes are tied into each other and if you take this away to me anyway it takes away from the realism and the authenticity of zoo building.

I would also be happy with another building set and decor as well. I know some would rather have just animals or a smaller building set and more animals but I like the current system. If you were to ask me on the games release I would have probably said mostly animals but I love the decor and building sets almost as much. When I visit a zoo I really love how exhibits and themes are tied into each other and if you take this away to me anyway it takes away from the realism and the authenticity of zoo building.
I would also love an Australian DLC with building items, but I would also love Animals only pack to add animals to the already existing DLC (like, how penguins were not in the arctic pack ? I would love to have animals only with some more arctic animals, as we already have cute buildings)

I would say:
1) Red Kangaroo it would be disastrous to not include the most iconic Australian animal.
2) Koala same as above as I’d say they’re a close second.
3) Wombat adds something unlike any current animals.
4) Australian pelican need more birds.
5) Exhibit animal Frilled lizard

Oh, the Australian Pelican is a nice pick. We mentioned Pelicans in other topics but a very nice addition. Now I'm really rooting for this one.. Some big birds would be very nice...

My list:

1) Red Kangaroo
2) Koala
3) Australian Pelican
4) Emu (For uniqueness Cassowary but someone on this forum pointed out that the Emu is one of the most common animals in zoos - imo emu is the logic choice)
5) Exhibit animal Thorny Devil

Building pieces: I want to say the aboriginal suggestion from Tigris115 but even after googling I'm unable to get a clear view of that. Decorative art would work.
They could do a mix of those. Building pieces from UK inspired architecture and decorative aboriginal art. What I know from Australia, a lot of older architecture is based on older European buildings. (Victorian/Georgian style?) - Please correct me if i'm wrong - :D

Campaign wise: At least 1 with crocodiles. Let's embrace that stereotype of Steve Irwin and Crocodile Dundee :D

Avatar: I think they should add something new/extra to DLCs. I'd really like to see an avatar outfit that matches the theme.

My list for an Australia DLC would include:
  • Red Kangaroo [walk-through exhibit possible]
  • Koala
  • Emu [walk-through exhibit possible]
  • Black Swan [walk-through exhibit possible]
  • Tasmanian Devil
  • Frilled Dragon (exhibit animal)
  • White's Tree Frog (exhibit animal)
  • Sydney Funnelweb Spider (exhibit animal)
And an additional feature, a lorikeet aviary -- this would be a large placeable object, similar to the Pteranodon aviary in Jurassic World Evolution. I'd be happy with it even if the individual birds were not selectable or able to be bred or traded, and instead it was something where a set of pre-programmed animations occurred periodically, including birds interacting with guests that went inside. You should be able to charge a fee to any guests that went inside so it's revenue-generating for your zoo.

Building theme could be Aboriginal, but it would be strikingly similar to African. Maybe they could go with:

Classic Outback instead? Rusty corrugated iron sheets, weathered timber posts and lots of items crafted from eucalyptus - we could combine this with the classic building style to make the quintessential Aussie outback town, complete with the top pub and bottom pub! Items might include a metal windmill, water tank, sheds and an outdoor loo.

FDEC242D-1040-4FD6-887A-B1AFF761F411.jpeg

90B1579F-BF5D-4E71-A20A-2A3E2477AD94.jpeg

Modern Australian: sleek sandstone, steel, glass and lots of grey, white and sand colours. Eucalyptus trees and native flora used to decorate and bring natural elements to modern buildings. Kind of like the New World style, but in brighter, lighter shades and with some more rustic timber, sandstone and river pebbles thrown in.

929A28AF-CA3A-483E-A3C8-AAF58E37AA1C.jpeg

40E5E253-AF29-4555-968D-61FA858708F8.jpeg

This would be a great pack to add aviaries to - even if they’re just big exhibits with mixed species capabilities.

Animal list:
  • Kangaroo
  • Numbat
  • Common wombat
  • Emu
  • Cassowary
  • Short beaked echidna
  • Platypus
  • Koala
  • Quoll
  • Dingo
  • Grey headed flying fox (aviary or exhibit species)
  • Tree kangaroo (any species)
  • Perentie
  • Black headed python (exhibit)
  • Green tree python (exhibit)
  • Thorny devil (exhibit)
  • Frilled Neck lizard
  • Kookaburra (if we get aviary species)
  • Australian sea lion
  • Leopard seal? Or Elephant seal
  • Fairy penguin
  • Squirrel glider (exhibit animal)
  • Tasmanian devil

Last edited:
Expectation:
Red Kangaroo, Koala, Emu, Wombat, Frill-neck lizard (exhibit)

Would prefer:
Grey Kangaroo, Yellow-footed rock wallaby, Cassawary, Wombat (Only missing Tas Devil becuase i'd hope for that in an endangered species pack), Platypus (exhibit)

,... Although i actually think that there'll be a couple of more species, so i'm going to add:
Tassie Devil and Numbat

Like your list but I think they should upgrade exhibits more if they decide to add the Platypus (exhibit)
Having such an animal in the current exhibit system, not a big fan of that :D

Just a bit curious, why would you prefer the Grey Kangaroo over the Red Kangaroo?
My overall impression of Aussie suggestions is that the Red Kangaroo is more popular/iconic. (and in a lot of European zoos the more popular one)
Just a genuine question, btw :D

I think if I was Frontier, I'd probably do the following:

Animals:
- Red Kangaroo.
- Tasmanian Devil.
- Emu.
- Koala.
- Social Huntsman Spider (exhibit).
- Frill-Necked Lizard (exhibit).
- Thorny Devil (exhibit).

Other:
- Aboriginal decorations/set pieces, not a full building set.
- Ranch-style/Outback decorations and set pieces, also not a full building set.
- Red desert rocks and Australian foliage (the latter is a given, but the former I think would work to round out the theming here).

In essence, I've sacrificed a full building set for two exhibit animals, which to me seems more realistic. Habitat animals take a lot of work to make, asking for more than four and still expecting the DLC in the same time frame Frontier has thus far stuck to is silly. Exhibit animals, on the other hand, are more like scenery objects in terms of what they do, with their needs linked to the exhibit itself, so it should in theory be easier to create these (which is fine for Australia, because a lot of the iconic Australian fauna would fit the exhibit description).

The absolute last things I would want to see would be:
- Freshwater crocodile. If we ever get another crocodilian, I want the American alligator.
- Any kind of habitat-based monitor lizard. We already have the Komodo dragon and the Nile monitor, anything more is unnecessary unless it's a smaller exhibit species.
- Dingo. The dingo is literally just another subspecies of the grey wolf, Canis lupus. We already have Canis lupus and Canis lupis arctos, we don't also need the dingo.

I hope they’ll take a pelican into consideration this game desperately needs one

Does it? I don't see the urgent need for a pelican of all things, especially in an Australian animal DLC. The Australian pelican is cool, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly iconic. There would be room for pelicans in many different packs, including a bird pack if they ever do one.

Desperately needs more birds would have probably been a better way to put it. I don’t know something about them would be great to have in game. I seen a exhibit with Pygmy hippos and some subspecies of pelican and it was a neat little enclosure. My local zoo has the American white subspecies and they are pretty neat to watch so I’d really enjoy them are there birds I’d rather see yes but not many to tell you the truth.

Desperately needs more birds would have probably been a better way to put it. I don’t know something about them would be great to have in game. I seen a exhibit with Pygmy hippos and some subspecies of pelican and it was a neat little enclosure. My local zoo has the American white subspecies and they are pretty neat to watch so I’d really enjoy them are there birds I’d rather see yes but not many to tell you the truth.

I agree the game needs more birds, but I think given the limited number of slots per DLC there are more important additions to an Australia Pack that we would need. Once before I mentioned how much I loved the magpie goose in the Ultimate Animal Collection, but I don't think I'd want to see it take up a lot in a hypothetical Australia Pack.

The magpie goose would be a excellent choice also tho. I know the popular choices are kangaroo, koala,wombat,emu,Tasmanian devil ect. But I would happy with either pelican or goose to tell you the truth.

Top Bottom