What small QoL changes would be handly in 2.4?

A warning tone or voice message that plays the first time you close to within 10s eta of your targeted destination. Once played it won't play again regardless of changes of range, unless you unlock and re-lock the destination.

I can't could the number of times I have missed my stop because I glanced away for a few moments :)

HUD colours without all that mucking around with xml.

A faster supercruise

A shorter Frameshift Jump sequence

A quicker planetary scan

some standard hailing messages that could be short audio alerts in the ships you're hailing.

Detailed scans should highlight areas of potential volcanism, rare materials and artificial objects on planetary surfaces.

Also, crashed ships and debris should be much, much, much less common, spawning at maybe 1% of the rate they currently do, and even less outside the bubble. In fact, outside of inhabited space they should be virtually impossible to just stumble upon. It just feels so unimmersive and shallow that they appear everywhere; you can simply start driving on an undiscovered moon hundreds of light years from the nearest port and quickly happen upon a crashed SRV or Sidewinder and cargo littered about. Enhanced detailed scans would mean you'd still be able to encounter them given the huge area of the scan, but you'd feel like it was something you'd actively tracked down and discovered rather than just tripping over common, worthless junk every time you set foot on a planet.

Last edited:
I've got a button bound to "target next waypoint" or something like that anyway, and I can target USS's, scan them quickly, bang the button and it reverts back to whatever I previously had targetted (ships not included).

So it's certainly doable. I scan every USS and never need to scroll back through the nav list to land at that planetary outpost or whatever it might be.
"Targeting" -> "Target Next System In Route" Does not do what you describe. It only works for high-wake targets. Is there some other option that I can't seem to find?

Some wind & turbulence noise when entering a docking bay. These ships aren't streamlined (at least, not most of them), and 100m/s corresponds to 360kph - you'd expect a bit of wind noise, even if the atmosphere isn't a full 100kpa sea-level pressure.

I remember hearing wind noises when entering the starports at high speeds in my Asp back in 3300 - don't know why they removed it.

More 'beautiful' stations and ships, humanitarian missions... Like Warren Spector said in his Twitter post, I'm getting somewhat jaded by dystopian SF with dark, grimy industrial environments, piracy, assassinations. 'Dark' futures have been done to death now, like Zombies and Pirates.

I'd like to contribute in a more positive way in game. At the moment I run medicines and food mainly, but I'd like more gameplay options that reflect the positive aspects of humanity: missions to assist with things like terraforming barren planets, developing new technology, relieving hunger and disease, rescue missions, that kind of thing.

As for the aesthetics and my suggestion of beautiful ships and stations: I found a station somewhere that was white and chrome, full of plants and vegetation. It was beautiful, and felt inspiring in a way that seems so rare in SF now.

Not sure how "small" this would be from a development standpoint, but NPC SRVs driving around starports, bases and installations on the surface would go a very long way towards making those areas feel like living settlements.

It does seem that NPC AI in this game is very much based on flying around in open space (pirates at unauthorised installations, for example, won't follow you through the tunnels in the structure) so it might be a bigger overhaul than it seems on the surface. That said, even some SRV dirt tracks in and around stations would be a nice aesthetic upgrade.

Include the thermal capacity of ships and the affect of adding different thermal load modules. Frenotx has done some good work in this regard here and having definitive numbers in game would be great.

SRV:
Don't disable my boosters EVER. I've gotten stuck in holes next to my ship and have to send it away just to use the booster to get out. So pointlessly annoying. Just comment-out/delete the code that does this. [yesnod]

(lol, an NPC scanned me just now after recalling and boarding my ship... then I followed it, "surge detected", then it turned around and lead me straight to a POI, scanned it, that NPC is just looking at the ground now... I guess interesting things happen when reading the forum while playing the game)

"Targeting" -> "Target Next System In Route" Does not do what you describe. It only works for high-wake targets. Is there some other option that I can't seem to find?

My bindings paste :
Code:
   <TargetNextRouteSystem>
        <Primary Device="T16000MTHROTTLE" Key="Neg_Joy_RZAxis" />
        <Secondary Device="{NoDevice}" Key="" />
    </TargetNextRouteSystem>

And that does exactly as I describe. It'll revert my target to my next system 100% of the time, no matter what I have targeted.

Oh another one, increase the bookmark limits to let you keep more than just 100 (especially for those of us that do long range exploration)...

A (additional) consolidated "Enter Station & Use Services" button that does both. It would save some time if you want to launch later, but forgot to actually enter the station, resulting in extra animation.

It would be nice if the system stopped snapping my view to forward whenever I do a frameshift transition. It's giving me a sore neck! :)

Add a tutorial mission about how to escape an interdiction with all possible outcomes (escape the mini game, submit, and losing the mini game). Once in normal space it should teach the difference between High and Low waking and how(and when) to perform each.

Also, a tutorial on the importance of power distributor management.

Last edited:
Materials gathering:
In the left menus (and targeting), show me how many I already have. It's just silly that I constantly have to switch to the right menu, scroll through the list, find the item... just to see if I need more or not.

FSD:
"Target system obscured" when in normal-space... the game is smart enough to know this, but not smart enough to enter supercruise instead? Should be: "Target system obscured. Entering supercruise." I have a key bound to enter supercruise directly because of this annoyance... xbox/ps4 players don't have infinite keys to bind. This should be automatic.

Ground bases:
It should be FIRST in the contacts list. I can't request docking with an ASP Explorer!

RNGineer blueprints:
Remove pinning. Give us access to all of them once the engineer prerequisites are finished.
Lightweight mods for Discovery Scanners, FSD Interdictors, and SRV bays. (these things are slowing my courier!)

Holo-me menu:
Move it below Engineers so that Engineers is default-selected. Checking engineer stuff is more commonly used then holo-me.

Station menu:
Remove Livery from the front page. I get you want us to spend extra money on stuff... but, it doesn't belong there. If you insist on leaving it, just change it to "Cash shop" because that's what it's really about.

USS targeting:
Make it work like targeting a wake, where your selected destination STAYS selected. It's annoying to lose your destination just to scan a USS... which is why I never do.

Planet landing:
When I drive off in my SRV, I expect my ship to STAY where it is unless I manually dismiss it, no matter how far I go.

Planet flying:
Remove auto-level. Nobody wants this. Let us crash our ships into the ground if we fall asleep at the stick!

Docking computer:
Hands off my pips! I have 4pips in sys for a reason... leave it alone! Those pips are mine! Keep your crash-into-things-auto-dock mits off em!

These are the things that more-or-less annoy me on a daily/weekly basis.

What a excellent post! +++1

Top Bottom