What the heck was the idea behind the Guardian Plasma Accelerators?

I've wracked my brain and I just can't seem to figure them out. Why do they exist?

If you start by comparing them to the other guardian weapons, they're the hardest to hit with, the highest energy draining, and deal Absolute damage. Which would be all well and good, except thargoids have no resistances.

This means that, rather than helping them, this actually hurts them; Shard Cannons and Gauss Cannons deal full damage to hull and bonus damage against shields, so they're always stronger than their stats say, while PAs deal exactly as much damage as they say they do. This makes them equivalent against hulls after the shields have gone down, and worse against the shields themselves.

You might think this would make them good at taking out the hull and hearts, but they deal the least heart damage of any of the weapons! Not to mention being nearly impossible to hit the hearts with them in the first place! Besides which, even the class 3's only have 95 armor piercing, so they deal the exact same dps as class 2 gauss cannons against basilisks on up!

So you've got a weapon that: Does equal or less damage. Is much harder to hit with. Generates as much or more heat. Draws as much or more power. Does less heart damage.

Why does this weapon exist?

The only - only! - reason I could EVER see for using this weapon is the ability to charge up the first shot and essentially expand the size of your capacitor. But because you can fully charge it in just two seconds, even that benefit is mostly irrelevant!

This is my proposal. Radically increase the potential charging time. Change it from two seconds to ten seconds. A fully charged shot would do, not 66.3 damage, but 331.5.

That's it. That way a player could take their time lining up their shot, knowing the energy and time isn't being wasted.

It still might not be outright as good as the other options, but at least it would do something useful!

Perhaps odyssey will change the guardian array of weps n modules bringing them into line with human stuff. Maybe even guardian engineering at guardian sites?
Till that day guardian weps apart from gauss cannons, are out of synch, superseded by human engineered stuff.

A FDL running 4 of these, (4x331=1324), and one Ovedrcharged Oversized huge PA, (1x219) could do a total of 1543 damage in one shot. That is quite the ambush killer there. And jousting with that much damage per shot available would certainly make duels go faster.

Some of the Guadian stuff does need a buff, or us being allowed to engineer it. Maybe with Horizons being rolled into the base game at the end of the month, they will allow us to engineer them at somepoint.

The absolute max for a FDL is around 4448mj without using guardian shield reinforcement packages btw. Few FDL will ever actually have that much shield strength though.

I have a couple of turreted ones for multi-crew gunners to have something to play with.

I normally use them on the opening burst when I fire on a Thargoid too, and sometimes, to help with exerting the heart during the rest of the fight.

They certainly aren't optimal though, your right, and the serious Anti Xeno folks know there is only one weapon for killing goids. Gauss Cannons.

A FDL running 4 of these, (4x331=1324), and one Ovedrcharged Oversized huge PA, (1x219) could do a total of 1543 damage in one shot. That is quite the ambush killer there. And jousting with that much damage per shot available would certainly make duels go faster.

Some of the Guadian stuff does need a buff, or us being allowed to engineer it. Maybe with Horizons being rolled into the base game at the end of the month, they will allow us to engineer them at somepoint.

The absolute max for a FDL is around 4448mj without using guardian shield reinforcement packages btw. Few FDL will ever actually have that much shield strength though.

In most cases that FDL probably wouldn't be able to realistically charge four of them fully. My fully engineered class 6 PD is drained down to two bars fully charging four of them. Another 0.5 seconds and you'd be down to distro gen, which would require another 18 seconds to fully charge. It would probably be more practical as an opening salvo, before swapping to other weapons.

That said, if someone did want to play that way, I don't see why not. If they miss, they're screwed, so I see it as an excellent high-risk/high-reward mechanic.

No, the real problem with GPAs is the puny falloff range of 1 km. Otherwise it would be a pretty nice weapon for exerting the hearts so you can then snipe them off with gauss. Change the falloff to 2 km of regular PAs and then see how it works.

Perhaps odyssey will change the guardian array of weps n modules bringing them into line with human stuff. Maybe even guardian engineering at guardian sites?
Till that day guardian weps apart from gauss cannons, are out of synch, superseded by human engineered stuff.

Perhaps Odyssey will bring world peace and cure cancer and covid-19.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but i see so many "perhaps Odyssey will fix this" postings around here, about plenty of different things, none of them connected even remotely to what Odyssey is about.

If Odyssey fixes a problem, it actually most likely happened by accident.

On the topic at hand: interesting suggestion. I would still not use it after the proposed change, but perhaps somebody might then find use for it.

Top Bottom