Ship Builds & Load Outs What type of guidance do missiles and torpedoes have?

I’d be interested to hear this from players who know better than me, I rather like missiles because they feel like a proper spaceship weapon you should have, even if they I can’t quite make myself enjoy torpedoes.

As I understand it now, heat sinks break target lock before the missile is fired, I don’t know if they affect ordnance already in flight. I think chaff only affects turreted/gimballed weapon targeting.

Once a missile is locked and fired, I think ECM or PDT are the only defences, apart from not being hit.

Always eager for correction if I’m wrong!

I’d be interested to hear this from players who know better than me, I rather like missiles because they feel like a proper spaceship weapon you should have, even if they I can’t quite make myself enjoy torpedoes.

As I understand it now, heat sinks break target lock before the missile is fired, I don’t know if they affect ordnance already in flight. I think chaff only affects turreted/gimballed weapon targeting.

Once a missile is locked and fired, I think ECM or PDT are the only defences, apart from not being hit.

Always eager for correction if I’m wrong!
So I want to know the principle of target acquisition, and I was told even the ECM now can not violate the capture, or rather it violates while it works, and then magically the rocket again finds the target. I do not understand this.

Isn't heat dumping equal to flare dumping on airplanes ?

As I understand it now, heat sinks break target lock before the missile is fired, I don’t know if they affect ordnance already in flight.
If I fire my pack-hounds and lose the lock half a second later, they still chase the target and hit it, sometimes after quite a few seconds. So I'd say once the missile is fired you can either outrun them (if your ship is fast and agile enough) or destroy them using point defense (not really an option against pack-hounds, though).

No idea about torpedoes, never used them.

Last edited:
If I fire my pack-hounds and lose the lock half a second later, they still chase the target and hit it, sometimes after quite a few seconds. So I'd say once the missile is fired, you can either outrun them (if your ship is fast and agile enough) or destroy them using point defense (not really an option against pack-hounds, though).

No idea about torpedoes, never used them.
What does this have to do with my capture? Is it necessary for missiles to hold the target in the grasp?

Torpedoes can relock to a target after missing. They can also relock on the wrong ship if unlucky.

Missiles (and torps) only need to have a lock just before being fired. The lock also stays 1-2 after you lost the target from your crosshairs

Torpedoes can relock to a target after missing. They can also relock on the wrong ship if unlucky.

Missiles (and torps) only need to have a lock just before being fired. The lock also stays 1-2 after you lost the target from your crosshairs
I know how it works, I can't understand why it works that way, is it magic ?

Top Bottom