What would be your Aquatic Expansion roster?

As always Zoochat doesn't disappoint👍
Seeing those Species makes me really want to add a Deepsea Section into the Aquarium of my next Zoo

Just read a Publication by the Okinawa Aquarium about captive Breeding of Whale Sharks. Seems like there weren't any successfully bred at the Time that Article was written but their male Whale Shark was already attempting to do it. Does anyone know if it worked since then in some Aquarium or Zoo to breed them? If not I might change the Whale Shark to something else on the List. Or Frontier could add them but they'll only have a small Chance to actually breed when they are fully researched🤔
You need to scroll a bit down on the Page. It has multiple Articles
Just checked the Okinawa Aquarium's site, looks like they had a female die in 2021. Looks like it was the big almost mature female. I think they have a second female held behind the scenes, but no idea how big she is. Happened right on the heels of the Georgia Aquarium losing their two females in 2020 and 2021.

Just checked the Okinawa Aquarium's site, looks like they had a female die in 2021. Looks like it was the big almost mature female. I think they have a second female held behind the scenes, but no idea how big she is. Happened right on the heels of the Georgia Aquarium losing their two females in 2020 and 2021.

At least it doesn't seem to have anything to do with bad Care or something like that. They were just unlucky with that one Individual. Maybe they'll be able to breed someday then🤔

Unlikely, it is now illegal to catch wild whale sharks for captive display. The Okinawa sharks were taken just before the law was put into place.
But as it was mentioned they seem to have a second Female Backstage. A Shame though that it most likely won't be enough though to start a Captive Breeding Population so the ones we currently have in Zoos will probably be the last ones +maybe one or two additional Generations (if they are extremely lucky)

🤔 one Thing I wonder about: are Zoos that belong to different Organizations allowed to exchange Animals? Thought about that because japanese Zoos seem to have lots of rare Species but they aren't Members of WAZA anymore due to them for some weird Reason still supporting the Dolphin Hunt at Taiji Bay which might find a End if they would stop buying Animals from them because the Trade with Live Animals brings them the most Money. So would a japanese Aquarium for Example be allowed to exchange Animals with one in America?

🤔 one Thing I wonder about: are Zoos that belong to different Organizations allowed to exchange Animals? Thought about that because japanese Zoos seem to have lots of rare Species but they aren't Members of WAZA anymore due to them for some weird Reason still supporting the Dolphin Hunt at Taiji Bay which might find a End if they would stop buying Animals from them because the Trade with Live Animals brings them the most Money. So would a japanese Aquarium for Example be allowed to exchange Animals with one in America?
This is anecdotal, but 6 years ago the zoo I worked in (EAZA member), got some crocs from a japanese zoo. So it was at least possible then.

This is anecdotal, but 6 years ago the zoo I worked in (EAZA member), got some crocs from a japanese zoo. So it was at least possible then.
Interesting.
Good News. Found out, they've decided shortly after to no longer support it, so maybe JAZA is a Member of WAZA again?

Interesting.
Good News. Found out, they've decided shortly after to no longer support it, so maybe JAZA is a Member of WAZA again?
Possibly if JAZA complies with all requirements it shouldn't be blocked in rejoining

Another Thing I wondered about due to the Fact that japanese Zoos have so many rare Species, is if there is a Animal Database for that somewhere. Only know about Zootierliste.de which only lists EAZA Members

Another Thing I wondered about due to the Fact that japanese Zoos have so many rare Species, is if there is a Animal Database for that somewhere. Only know about Zootierliste.de which only lists EAZA Members
The only reference to one was found on zoochat in 2014 but sadly the website seems to have been removed.

Edit - actually a very rustic search version can find animals in the collection - https://www.jaza.jp/animal/search

The only reference to one was found on zoochat in 2014 but sadly the website seems to have been removed
A absolute Shame. Would've interested me which unique Animals they are keeping. I know that they are quite successful at keeping some Deepsea Species (saw it in a Thread on Zoochat)

A absolute Shame. Would've interested me which unique Animals they are keeping. I know that they are quite successful at keeping some Deepsea Species (saw it in a Thread on Zoochat)
See my added link on the previous message. It's lists all animals found throughout JAZA but a very complicated search function and of course you will need to translate the text through the browser. 204 pages of aquatic animals to dig through 🤣

Last edited:
See my added link on the previous message. It's lists all animals found throughout JAZA but a very complicated search function and of course you will need to translate the text through the browser. 204 pages of aquatic animals to dig through 🤣
👍 Cool. Did you edit it in or was I just too stupid to see it?🙃
A Shame that my japanese Skills are still that bad but maybe it'll still be useful.
Already better organized than Zootierliste because it also shows Invertebrates

👍 Cool. Did you edit it in or was I just too stupid to see it?🙃
A Shame that my japanese Skills are still that bad but maybe it'll still be useful
Yeah I edited it in, I should of added another message but oh well. So I used my Google option to translate text because I can't read a word of Japanese, click the animal type and press the search button or if you know the exact animal type it in. Then on the animal press see more and there should be a list of Japanese links - these are are zoos holding the animal

Habitat animals:
  1. Atlantic bottlenose dolphin
  2. Beluga
  3. Pacific walrus
  4. Northern sea otter
  5. Antillean manatee
  6. Western rockhopper penguin
  7. Great white pelican
  8. Baer's pochard
  9. Hawaiian goose
  10. Hawksbill sea turtle
  11. Red-eared slider
  12. Sand tiger shark
  13. Zebra shark
  14. Cownose ray
  15. Giant grouper
  16. Koi
  17. Arapaima
  18. Pacu
  19. Red-tailed catfish
  20. Alligator gar
Exhibit animals (A new aquarium system would be added to the game to be expanded on future DLCs and/or Updates. It would consist of a vastly customizable set of different sized and shaped aquariums where you can mix in several species or keep them by themselves. I feel like this isn't a very good fish selection, I do not know much about fish ahahah, I'd love to hear what you guys think could be better):
  1. White-spotted bambooshark
  2. Ribbon moray
  3. Clown anemonefish
  4. Blackspotted puffer
  5. Yellow tang
  6. Atlantic mudskipper
  7. Spotted garden eel
  8. Atlantic octopus
  9. Spotted jellyfish
  10. Vampire crab

Last edited:
Top Bottom