What would you pay for ship interiors?

Also some are discussing that it'll cost Frontier to make, and yes it will, but don't feel any sympathy for Frontier: a) They are a very profitable company b) Elite Dangerous is still a very profitable product for them (I would even argue their most profitable) and c) They could make a lot more money from Elite Dangerous but don't maximise their income.

i would love interiors and if i had gotten the game for a few quid in a sale then i would absolutely throw a few bones their way for cosmetics. I have had way more value out of the game than the price it is often sold it.

BUT for me the answer is zero, as i already dumped a lot more money into the game at initial backing on the basis of all the cool stuff they wanted to add but only if they got enough money.

so in my view i have already paid for this stuff, and was marketed with ships already designed with ship interiors in mind in a later DLC.

Personally i dont really want them delievered in a cosmetic kind of way anyway - but much prefer as part of a paid expansion.... but either way IF they come i would expect to have them already

ship interiors need to have some gameplay associated with them imo to make them shine.............. i am not against decorating my personal space as well (icing on the cake) but i want some utility to the spaces as well..... repairs, or hiding valuble stuff or boarding npc ships / being boarded by npcs and fighting them.

Last edited:
I already have a spaceship game with some interiors, npc crews, eva capability, commerce, station building, aliens, etc., etc., etc..

And it even has the largest extension/expansion to date coming this year to boot! (beta already released to players for testing)

And the best part regarding this update is that it's free! :cool:

(so I guess the short answer is: Nothing)

I don't see the point, considering people will simply ban others from getting inside and / then start wishing for NPCs.

So I'd pay nothing and cross my arms.

All those nay sayers - "no i don't want ship interiors", wth it's like saying they don't want jam on toast.

Of course ship interiors would be great. Of course I would want mechanics to go with them (actually working on my own ship, inside cargo bay combat, enhancing ship performance in the short run, etc. etc.).

Would I pay extra? I paid for Odyssey, of course I would pay for a ship interior expansion (even if it was just for the largest vessels bridges or was tied exclusively to cargo compartments and the engine room. )

Whoever says they don't want more features and mechanics...? Really?

These are those people:
index.jpg

is there something wrong wishing for NPC's?
NPCs inside your ship are pointless, just as (IMO) station interiors are pointless. The reason being they are simply Metaverse like layers of the UI rather than actually doing something dynamic.

An NPC inside a ship can be done by seeing them sit, as well as expanding their stats so you have a buff / debuff on certain critical aspects of the ship. Don't need any more than that, other than maybe having them as an on foot squad.

And that's the worst possible way to test it, there are nearly 40 ships, so from the very beginning your earnings from interiors is effectively a fraction of what it could be, then you have people, like me and others here, who simply won't spend ARX on the interior for a single ship, it's almost certain that income from a single ship interior won't come anywhere near the cost of making it in time and wages paid to modelers, artists and everyone else who needs to be involved. And what happens if they do indeed do one, and then decide they can't afford to do any more? For instance they do the DBX? Do you think people who don't like the DBX are going to buy one just for the interior? Nope, that's not what people do, they will be here every day demanding that the ship interior for their particular favorite ship gets made as well. It'll be the Cobra Mk4 all over again!
What is a better way?

I have a theory born from recent discussions about lack of any actual new physical assets (e.g. new damaged building models) added as part of update 14 (aside from turning off the lights, adding some flames and putting a shutter across the door of abandoned space stations) that Frontier are simply really averse to investing in new physical assets (how long since we last had a new ship!). I don't know if that's down to a lack of skilled staff in that area (and I do appreciate it's non trivial but nor is it impossible), but they just don't seem to be good at it. To put things into perspective, in a recent update to Star Citizen (sorry, I know I know, but stay with me here for a second) CIG added a whole bunch of new structures to flesh out community designed race tracks.

<snip>

So I don't know - sure it's not easy - but I honestly think Frontier could do a LOT better in this area (unless the underlying engine is just plain difficult to work with in this regard?).
I see your point but I'm not sure about your conclusion, Odyssey brought quite a decent amount of new assets that look a lot better than the old Horizons era stuff placed throughout the appropriate parts of the galaxy by the thousands, as well as an overhaul of all the ships in the game. CIG have only one egg in their basket and without stuff to work on their environment team would be doing nothing, I would imagine that for Frontier, any team with nothing to do gets moved onto other projects and, with the focus on narrative, it's possible that they did a reasonable job with what they had, given resources, rather than going all out and replacing all Horizons assets, which I would love to see btw, but probably not happening any time soon. However, I would be surprised that there will be nothing forthcoming during the Odyssey season/narrative event. If it's going to be Thargoids on foot, then it's also plausible that all energy has been put into modeling those assets instead.

They are a very profitable company
That's certainly true, but not enough that they can afford to have Elite Dangerous cost a few million pounds more than it brings in each year on a permanent basis. They're still a company, not a "provision of Elite Dangerous" charity with a side business in profitable games to fund it. It's not about sympathy for them - it's about having reasonable expectations for what a for-profit business will do.

There wouldn't be a cash problem with them developing another Odyssey-scale ED expansion if they were sure it would be profitable in the long run, because they could easily cross-subsidise it from other games / existing cash reserves, yes. But they do still have to be reasonably confident it'll be profitable in the long run, because they didn't get to be a very profitable company by consistently picking loss-makers. And that means either "every existing semi-regular player is highly likely to buy it at or near full price" or "it'll bring in a very substantial number of new players/returning players" or "it'll sell a ridiculous amount of cosmetics": that was the expectation for Odyssey, and it came a very long way from working out.

Smaller Beyond-scale developments I do expect them to continue with for quite a while because that does and likely will remain profitable for them.

Elite Dangerous is still a very profitable product for them (I would even argue their most profitable)
Nowhere near their most profitable [1] by any conventional measure I can see.

In terms of lifetime profit (revenue - direct costs) Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster and Jurassic 1 are all higher despite being younger.
In terms of just the last year's profit all of those are still higher, plus Jurassic 2 also beats it.
Even in terms of revenue brought in - ignoring costs entirely - Jurassic 1 is still ahead on the lifetime measure, and Jurassic 2 and Planet Zoo are ahead on an "at the same age" measure.
Last 12 months: £2M profit on £6M revenue, which is good for its age but not exactly "very profitable" in absolute terms.

They could make a lot more money from Elite Dangerous but don't maximise their income.
By doing what? What could they plausibly do to get, say, a consistent extra £5 million / year profit from the game so that they can fund permanent development at Horizons/Odyssey levels of staff?

(For scale, that's something like an extra £10/year on average from every existing semi-regular player, or an extra 250-500k sales each year, on top of what they already get)

[1] Source data all from https://frontier-drupal.s3-eu-west-...rontier_FY23_Interim_Results_presentation.pdf - which is I think the first time they've done a public version of that graph which has included ED at all.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Ship interiors as DLC with game play loops yes.

Additional skins and purchases that don't affect play-to-win, yes.
This, I'd happily pay full DLC price on my 3 non-LEP accounts, but only after confirming the release is not like Odyssey DLC on my main LEP account.

Yeah, certainly feels like Elite is a side project. Frontier have long stopped trying to make Elite the best it can be. They'll add some things here and there every once in a while as long as the minimal budget hasn't run out.

It's not just "no new ship for X years", the overall amount of new assets is very low in general for a live service game. I expect the mysterious overhaul will be more about tweaking numbers than new stuff.

"Another slow year". I'm afraid slow years is all we can hope for anymore.
My feeling is that there's a development budget funded through direct earnings that has to hit a certain threshold before Frontier will commit to something substantial, and as we all know, Odyssey is having to dig out of an earnings rut, hence possibly the current situation. If only Frontier figured out how to sell multi thousand dollar jpegs to people on a premise of 'soon, but game development is hard, and it's a space game so we're talking astronomical definitions of soon here', then we could have zillions of ships, interiors and all, or at least jpegs of them..

I dunno... I guess it depends on the ship, how impressive the interior actually is, and whether or not large ships ever get a proper NPC crew. I have ship interiors in Space Engineers, and I really do enjoy the immersion these interiors provide, unless I'm on a large ship that's totally empty of people..

I absolutely love my "ship interior" in Subnautica, but it's not just cosmetic, and that game has a very different feel than Elite. I also very much enjoy my limited ship interiors in X4, so much that this is one the main reasons I have a hard time going back to play X3. So as I said at the start, I dunno..

(all of this assumes a version of Odyssey that I would be interested in, which currently does not exist)
Is there any gameplay in ship interiors in X4?

I'm not particularly for or against ship interiors, like I wasn't for or against space legs; I won't really be able to judge if I enjoy the idea until I get my hands on it. It's not something I particularly want right now, but I probably won't be upset if Frontier decide to work on it either. And it could even end up that the game ends up feeling incomplete without them, like with Odyssey's ability to disembark.

But if ship interiors are a purely cosmetic thing with no additional gameplay, though, then I'd rather Frontier not bother and work on features that add gameplay instead, especially given that adding ship interiors seems like it'd involve a fair amount of engineering effort that could be better spent elsewhere.
If there is gameplay then it's different - I might pay for it as it'd probably a DLC like Horizons or Odyssey at that point, but of course what the fair price would be depends on the amount of content in that DLC. And at that point there'd definitely be ARX cosmetics to customise the interiors, but I'd hope the interiors themselves and any gameplay associated would be part of the DLC.

Regardless it's not a feature I'm particularly interested in or particularly against.

One of Yamiks' recent shorts points out how much waiting there is in Star Citizen because of all this "immersion" - waking up Dying in bed, walking to the train station falling through the floor, riding the train waiting for the world to load than crash, then fall through the floor and die, waiting for your ship to be delivered Never arrive as the consul is broken
Just changed a few bits that Mr Yamiks missed out

O7

This thread is asking if people would be ok with going down the SWTOR route of paid features. SWTOR denies a lot of basic features to players depending on what paid level they are. For example, you have to pay for the following: Increase your personal inventory, Access your ship's cargo hold outside of your ship, hide your head armour, unlock new races in character creation and that's just a small sample. SWTOR is legendary for it (and not in a good way) and makes Star Citizen look like newcomers to the idea.

Do you want to have to pay for features in Elite that should be available as part of the default game? I doubt anyone reading this does, and yet someone is asking if I, a kickstarter backer to the level of Founder, who has the Lifetime Expansion Pass, would be willing to pay extra for ship interiors, and the truth is, I would, but my faith in Frontier delivering it at all is low, and delivering it as I imagine it would be is even lower.
No, this thread is asking if people would support cosmetic ship interiors, just like they support cosmetic ship exteriors. "They should do it for free" is obviously not affordable, or they would already be doing it.

This is something every MMO designer knows, the reason why when entering a town in LOTRO only a couple of buildings have interiors? Because these building have quest locations. 99.9% of the buildings don't, and designing interiors for those is just a waste of time resources, if a player isn't given a reason to enter a building it's just a blank door. If all building had detailed interiors there would be some buildings they invested time and money in that were never visited in the history of the game. The same with ship interiors, everything currently players have to engage with legs wise is outside the ship, they will always pick the fastest way out of the ship once the novelty of walking down corridors and stairs wears off, probably around the second time they do it!

Ship interiors would be handcrafted but your example is more in relation to general building interiors and I think, if anything, that's something that could be on whole easier to implement using a comprehensive base asset set tied to procedural generation. It can be seen somewhat with the Matrix city demo for Unreal 5, though I don't believe the buildings are all fully populated with rooms. But in essence, and without considering the resource overhead, it would be possible to make a Coriolis station fully explorable with apartment buildings and everything using procgen. Sure it would be repetitive but that's not stopped most town/shopping mall architects since WW2.. Once the layout has been built, it could be applied to every other Coriolis station with its own roll of rooms, each with their own address and NPC mission giver/target that could live there, or be ready to rent out to any willing CMDR who wants to have a place to retire to.

Top Bottom