What would you pay for ship interiors?

The most realistic doesn't mean realistic. It is arcade game. To be a good game doesn't need to be realistic but immersive and with the teleportation from on foot to cockpit it is definitely not immersive.

That’s a YMMV opinion.

I won’t find being forced to traverse a ship interior empty of gameplay anymore immersive than being forced to traverse a docking bay empty if gameplay. Which is not only unimmerssve, but it’s such a punch to the face annoyance that it’s anti-immersive. A simple cut from cockpit to concourse would’ve been preferable… at least I wouldn’t be faced with all the wasted possibilities that docking bay represents.

But Frontier wanted to show off all the work it did on it’s new ship exterior artwork, incomplete though it is, so here we are forced to put up with that annoying sprint.

blow your canopy. I think the effect is really we considered. a nod to realism but still fun and usable
This is a fantastic mechanic. I had a hair-raising escape in my Anaconda, tried to land with what little I could see on the HUD... at an outpost... ended up doubling back and managing to land at a planetary base with seconds worth of air remaining. What a time!

Elite isn't very realistic at all. It's far more arcade and sci-fi.

We have magic pockets that can hold thousands of materials with no weight.

No orbital mechanics.

Maximum speeds in space.

Drag in space.

Maximum range on weapons in space.

FTL travel.

The ability to jump from one star to another in an instant.

Visibleaser weapons.

Even FA off isn't truly realistic (see drag in space).
Don't forget to add:
Able to materialise oxygen out of Iron and nickel.

Unable to buy a power regulator, only loot them from bases

A bar tender, that is able to trade you anything you are asking for, but not willing to cross trade.

Where a gun costs more than a space ship.

Where a carrier able to jump to a star but a ship isn't.

(The maximum weapon range still gets me)
Damage fall off for weapons, indicates drag for weapons, including lasers.

If you have something like this, you should also think about the dimensions. In an Eagle I can imagine a narrow aisle like in a submarine with a maximum of one berth, in my ASP Explorer I would imagine a fitted kitchen, seating area for travel planning, 2 beds, an indicated toilet door and maybe a treadmill and 2 dumbbells imagine, because such a journey into the deep black can take a long time. as an Eagle fighter pilot, on the other hand, you should be able to sit comfortably at the bar on the station after your mission or have just been shot down, there's no need for comfort :D

If you have something like this, you should also think about the dimensions. In an Eagle I can imagine a narrow aisle like in a submarine with a maximum of one berth, in my ASP Explorer I would imagine a fitted kitchen, seating area for travel planning, 2 beds, an indicated toilet door and maybe a treadmill and 2 dumbbells
Dumbbells should be... interesting in zero gravity.

Don't forget to add:
Able to materialise oxygen out of Iron and nickel.

Unable to buy a power regulator, only loot them from bases

A bar tender, that is able to trade you anything you are asking for, but not willing to cross trade.

Where a gun costs more than a space ship.

Where a carrier able to jump to a star but a ship isn't.

(The maximum weapon range still gets me)
Damage fall off for weapons, indicates drag for weapons, including lasers.

I think these arguments perfectly show (and demonstrate) the real state of the game. +1

On the other hand, don't forget that they are the same developers who have designed this bunch of absurd nonsense, the same ones that you ask in this forum to solve the same problems that they have created.

Luck. :sneaky:(y)

On the other hand, don't forget that they are the same developers who have designed this bunch of absurd nonsense, the same ones that you ask in this forum to solve the same problems that they have created.
The problem is, the game hasn't been playtested. EVER!

And since we are on the list:
You can telepresence to the other side of the galaxy to someone's ship with a 0 ms delay, but after 30km of telepresence the link to your SLF cuts out.

Where there is demand for 10000 units of a good, and you can sell 80000 and demand then drops to 9000.

Where a carrier captain is unable to read a post it not, that after this jump, schedule the next jump to star X, then to Y and then to Z.

Where the fuel officer just gets paid to have a profile picture but won't know how to load fuel from the cargo hold to the fuel tank. (I wish I had a job like that).

Where we have hovering sentries, space ships that can fly at low altitude but we can only drive wheeled vehicles!

Where we are sold a game with an Armstrong moment and we get a PLOP effect! (really feeling the Armstrong moment there guys)
Where we can't just chain a combat zone but have to hustle back to the same base we came from, just to fly back there AGAIN!.

That's right, I forgot, the ship should probably be too small for artificial gravity 😅
I think that even if interiors are implemented, there should be interlocks to prevent walking around when the ship is moving, and if you manage to defeat them, death. It just makes sense to get pancaked when walking around in a jet fighter during maneuvers. I was once walking all over a landed ship when it took off. I died instantly, as expected!

That’s a YMMV opinion.

I won’t find being forced to traverse a ship interior empty of gameplay anymore immersive than being forced to traverse a docking bay empty if gameplay. Which is not only unimmerssve, but it’s such a punch to the face annoyance that it’s anti-immersive. A simple cut from cockpit to concourse would’ve been preferable… at least I wouldn’t be faced with all the wasted possibilities that docking bay represents.

But Frontier wanted to show off all the work it did on it’s new ship exterior artwork, incomplete though it is, so here we are forced to put up with that annoying sprint.

You started with saying YMMV (Your mileage may vary) and proceed to make a sweeping statement that the game would be better (presumably for everyone) if ...
YOU might not want ship interiors, but many of us do. The fact we can't all agree what level of ship interiors the game should have, is why I suggest having 3 options to leave the ship:
1. A menu option from the seat to teleport outside (like we do now)
2. Get up out of the seat, go to the door at the back of the cockpit (every ship has one) and teleport from there to outside
3. Go through the door at the back of the cockpit and walk through the ship.
I have yet to see anyone disagree with having these three options for exiting the ship (but now I have said that, I am sure someone will).

EDIT: Heck there's even a 4th option ... 2a. Go to the door at the back of the cockpit, which is a lift. Ride the lift down. Doors open at the top of the steps which you then walk down to exit the ship.

Last edited:
EDIT: Heck there's even a 4th option ... 2a. Go to the door at the back of the cockpit, which is a lift. Ride the lift down. Doors open at the top of the steps which you then walk down to exit the ship.
4th option seems a good compromise if FD dont want to go to all the work of full interiors... After all there is a whole bunch of very detailed work that many of the players not in VR may have never really seen that is going un noticed.... texture wise not much new would be needed with that idea as the bridge/cockpit interiors of all ships is already completed.

Last edited:
That’s a YMMV opinion.

No one stops you from your immersive teleportation. It would be even better to be able to teleport directly to the desired system with your ship instead of this boring, useless and empty traveling mechanic that exists now. after all Elite is an arcade game.

You started with saying YMMV (Your mileage may vary) and proceed to make a sweeping statement that the game would be better (presumably for everyone) if ...

Congratulations on taking a statement that begins with "I," and turning it into a sweeping statement that involves everyone...

Great job.

YOU might not want ship interiors, but many of us do.

Congratulations on putting words into my mouth. I know you've been following this thread, because you've liked all my posts on this thread where I've listed all the gameplay I'd like to see in ship interiors. You've also liked all the posts where I've listed all the missing gameplay I'd like to see at the station docking bay.

You've even liked the posts on this thread (which I'll repeat below) where I've listed all the reasons why I like Supercruise, which some players view negatively. Which primarily involves how dense it is gameplay in the typical journey in the Bubble. There are many decisions to make, skills to employ, and risks to consider on the journey from star to station, assuming you wish to get to your destination quickly and safely, and still want to take advantage of the opportunities

I simply have zero interest in traversing a ship interior that is as much a desert of gameplay as the station docking bay is. Traversing such spaces are pointless and unskippable time sinks, and I find such time sinks annoying. They take me out of the game I'm playing, which is the opposite of immersion, which is when I'm so engrossed by the gameplay that I lose track of the outside world.

The fact we can't all agree what level of ship interiors the game should have, is why I suggest having 3 options to leave the ship:
1. A menu option from the seat to teleport outside (like we do now)
2. Get up out of the seat, go to the door at the back of the cockpit (every ship has one) and teleport from there to outside
3. Go through the door at the back of the cockpit and walk through the ship.
I have yet to see anyone disagree with having these three options for exiting the ship (but now I have said that, I am sure someone will).

Oh, I know, all this. I've seen it multiple times on this thread, and would have zero issues if Frontier did interiors this way. Include a "skip to station concourse" button, and I'll even be happy. Here's the thing, though:

Frontier doesn't have a strong track record when it comes to giving players options like this. Options require effort, and Frontier frequently takes the path of least resistance. They don't always do that, but I have been burned on these things more often than not. My expectation is that when Frontier does do ship interiors, it'll be like the station docking bay: unskippable. Why put in the work, and then have players skip seeing your efforts?

But as long as the is gameplay to be had on the journey from airlock to cockpit, I'll be content. If there's a good in character reason to engage in that gameplay frequently, I'll be happy. But as the old saying goes, "I am seldom surprised, but I'm frequently disappointed."

The on-foot gameplay in Odyssey Settlements was a pleasant surprise. It's something which I would indulge in if it wasn't for certain decisions made by Frontier in other areas of this game. But the in-station gameplay, or more accurately lack thereof, is deeply deeply disappointing. And when it comes to Frontier and this game, I've come to expect the latter, and not the former.

i know i am going to mention the game that some people believe "shalt not be named". but imo this shows a good example of why ship interiors work - and its working now in other games......... sure you could argue that in the specific example which follows not that much happens (go in ship, steal stuff and leave) but the fact that the player had to go in, check that no one else was in there before looting indicates that there "could" have been a mass fight about to happen, its just in the example shown that didnt happen.

jump to 9m30s if my time link does not transfer..... but quick background player was doing a mission and flying over the planet surface went past an abandoned settlement of some description and spotted a crash landed ship with loot strewn around the site.... he salvaged the stuff outside the ship, and then decided to see what was inside it. (edit.. nope the timestamp didnt link.... so jump manually to 9m30 as mentioned.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcMMRDlAF34#t=9m30s

some may find that long drawn out and dull... and the problem Elite has with its economy, it WOULD be hard to balance this.. ie in Elite even if there were 50 tons of gold found in a crashed python for instance............. actually transferring it to your ship would arguably be a waste of time if it took anything over 2 mins because cargo indivitually is essentially worthless unless it is tritium or a handful of rare items.
but aside from that balance issue which needs to be addressed anyway imo... i think this just looks cool and i would enjoy doing it.

i know i am going to mention the game that some people believe "shalt not be named". but imo this shows a good example of why ship interiors work - and its working now in other games......... sure you could argue that in the specific example which follows not that much happens (go in ship, steal stuff and leave) but the fact that the player had to go in, check that no one else was in there before looting indicates that there "could" have been a mass fight about to happen, its just in the example shown that didnt happen.

jump to 9m30s if my time link does not transfer..... but quick background player was doing a mission and flying over the planet surface went past an abandoned settlement of some description and spotted a crash landed ship with loot strewn around the site.... he salvaged the stuff outside the ship, and then decided to see what was inside it. (edit.. nope the timestamp didnt link.... so jump manually to 9m30 as mentioned.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcMMRDlAF34#t=9m30s

some may find that long drawn out and dull... and the problem Elite has with its economy, it WOULD be hard to balance this.. ie in Elite even if there were 50 tons of gold found in a crashed python for instance............. actually transferring it to your ship would arguably be a waste of time if it took anything over 2 mins because cargo indivitually is essentially worthless unless it is tritium or a handful of rare items.
but aside from that balance issue which needs to be addressed anyway imo... i think this just looks cool and i would enjoy doing it.
I would enjoy that very much and wouldn't even think about credits.
If I had only a few credits then I would loot everything, if I had 6bn I would loot everything as well. Just for the sake of RP gameplay :)

PS: Now I have to give this game another chance even though I know I will eventually get frustrated with it (again!) and come back do ED :D

Last edited:
No one stops you from your immersive teleportation. It would be even better to be able to teleport directly to the desired system with your ship instead of this boring, useless and empty traveling mechanic that exists now. after all Elite is an arcade game.

Do you know what my favorite part of this game is? Supercruise, by far.

Do you know why this is my favorite part of this game? Because of how dense the gameplay is packed in the typical journey from star to station in the Bubble, especially if you want to get to your destination quickly, safely, while still taking advantage of the numerous opportunities there are along the way. It starts with the bang of arrival, and you have a split second to decide on your escape vector before your ship plunged too deep into the molasses slow zone surrounding the star. During that brief journey from star to station, there are threats to look out for, targets of opportunity to analyze, and USSs to spot and consider... all while planning your station approach to minimize your braking time at the end. And at the very end, there's your gravity braking maneuver, where you maneuver your ship to maximize the braking potential between the orbital cruise zone and overshooting your destination.

Do you know what I consider the second worst decision Frontier ever made when it came to this game is? Listening to the players who were griping on how long the Supercruise journey was taking, even as they deliberately took the slowest path to their destination, and kept their "in the blue zone" the entire way. 🤦‍♀️

Even more annoying is that for those of us who were willing to brave threading the needle at the end of our journey, so that the "six seconds" ETA was actually fairly close to six seconds... we all saw our travel times increase. Because for the typical journey, the eye of the needle moved from space to inside the planet itself, and the best we could do was employ maneuvers that were once used when we realized we were going to overshoot.

Their worst decision, of course, is how they listened to the players who were griping on how long it took to progress from Sidewinder to Anaconda by dialing the rewards up to 11 (and continued to them up to plaid), rather than leaving the brilliant gameplay in place and fixing the ship and module prices of the largest ships in the game, which were ridiculously expensive for the benefits they brought.

Both of these decisions happened at the end of Elite Dangerous' Alpha.

All those interesting economic decisions that needed to be made to get ahead in the game during the Alpha? All the nuances between the five different classes of equipment that needed to be considered when outfitting? All the interesting decisions that would've been made in Horizons and Odyssey, had ship prices been fixed instead of inflating rewards? All future interesting decisions that might've been made when it comes ship interiors, when they eventually get added to the game along side their gameplay?

Didn't even make it past the Private Beta.

I don't care how long the journey takes, as long as there are interesting decisions to be made along the way. That's why I play games: to make interesting decisions that I never will get to make in real life... or in some cases hope I will never have to make in real life.

But right now, the time I have to play games at home is extremely precious to me. It's extremely limited, and will be for two more years. To me, there is nothing more annoying than a pointless time sink. A chunk of time where there are no decisions to make, no skills to employ, and no strategies to consider. It uses up time that I would prefer to be using to actually play games.

I take that back, there is one thing more annoying than a pointless time sink. That is a pointless time sink that happens in an environment where there should be plenty of gameplay to be had, and it's conspicuously missing.

Which describes station docking bays to a T.

And just like ship interiors will be if they were equally devoid of gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom