When Odyssey comes to console, will it feature all of the Odyssey content?

Yes and yes. Try what out on? We're talking about the density of the star field when on foot

Odyssey on foot I would think was clear - ergo the question about having friends. As in have you tried it on a pc. You only have a console right.

So, have you compared the starfield density from the position of being on foot. Which you can only do in Odyssey, unless you have a different definition of it to me. So, have you tried it on Odyssey on a pc? Hence, do you have any friends - with pcs to try it on?

I don't see the difficulty in the question and why you're trying to be so combative - I'm only asking a question pertinent and relevant to the discussion you have created. This is what "we're talking about" isn't it?

You only have a console right.

Nope, I have Odyssey on PC, Horizons on PC and Horizons on 2 consoles. Look at my signature if you want to send a friend request you just have to ask - no need to be shy!

So yes, I've seen the star field on foot on Odyssey and on Horizons on the same platform (PC, obvs) and have not noticed a difference. Go back and look at Northpin's screenshots though. I have noticed a difference between Horizons on both PC and console, but it's hard to make a like-for-like comparison as the resolution on PS4/PS5 is so low that it skews the image quality quite badly anyway. The star field could be just as detailed on Horizons on console but I'd never be able to tell because the game plays at max 1080p which - as many a PS5 CMDR will tell you - is a blurry mess.

Nope, I have Odyssey on PC, Horizons on PC and Horizons on 2 consoles. Look at my signature if you want to send a friend request you just have to ask - no need to be shy!

So yes, I've seen the star field on foot on Odyssey and on Horizons on the same platform (PC, obvs) and have not noticed a difference. Go back and look at Northpin's screenshots though. I have noticed a difference between Horizons on both PC and console, but it's hard to make a like-for-like comparison as the resolution on PS4/PS5 is so low that it skews the image quality quite badly anyway. The star field could be just as detailed on Horizons on console but I'd never be able to tell because the game plays at max 1080p which - as many a PS5 CMDR will tell you - is a blurry mess.

Ah okay, so you didn't need any friends, which is good news really. To physically see the difference. That is interesting.

And I haven't seen your signature I'm afraid as I'm using my phone. I'm quite happy without the friend request though - although I'm flattered that you asked to be friends.

I hope that you have some luck with getting more friends though. The game is much better with friends.

I forgot to ask - did you see a difference between PS4 and ps5?

Ah okay, so you didn't need any friends, which is good news really. To physically see the difference. That is interesting.

And I haven't seen your signature I'm afraid as I'm using my phone. I'm quite happy without the friend request though - although I'm flattered that you asked to be friends.

I hope that you have some luck with getting more friends though. The game is much better with friends.

Not quite subtle enough. You can do better than that if you try?

Conflict Zones and Settlements seems to be a major performance issue, so perhaps they will be smaller when Odyssey comes to consoles, with fewer NPCs and less complex building / structures?

I had a thought about this: if they were to make settlements smaller with fewer NPCs they'd have to up the AI level on CZ's simply so consoleeers didn't have a BGS advantage. Or perhaps it'd be easier just to nerf the BGS effect slightly for on-foot CZs where the participant is on console.

By that token, we might expect an increase in mining yield at some point ...

[Edit: Apologies to my fellow PC and XBox forumites, this post was originally posted in the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Discussion forum as I didn't want it to be platform specific, but it was later moved to the PlayStation sub-forum. You're still invited to come along and discuss!]

Rings on PC and console are different in Horizons already. Will Frontier cut some of the content of Odyssey in order to e.g. generate a stable framerate. And if so, what content might be likely to be trimmed or curtailed in this way?

Conflict Zones and Settlements seems to be a major performance issue, so perhaps they will be smaller when Odyssey comes to consoles, with fewer NPCs and less complex building / structures?

What other Odyssey content do you think could be 'tuned' in terms of size, for the console port of Odyssey?

Perhaps the scannable plants won't be quite so frequent, as currently happens with asteroids in ring systems?

Perhaps the atmospheric effects will be tuned down?

Would you still buy Odyssey if some experiences were downgraded?

All I will say is 'Yes I will buy Odyssey!! ': )

Would you still buy Odyssey if some experiences were downgraded?
I would buy it, because ANY new gameplayloops are welcomed. The grade of cutting content should reflect the price of the DLC. Getting only half of the stuff for full price would not be okay.

But making combat zones smaller with less npcs falls not into my definition of cutting content. I could live with that.
Cutting content that would harm my gaming experience would be not getting the new srv or not getting carrier interiors. In such a case the price should be lowered.

I own Odyssey on PC and moved from PS4 Pro to PS5 with Horizons.

Yes, performance on the PS5 was a radical jump over the PS4.
Its pretty much locked 60fps on PS5.

I don’t know what kind of scaling back we could end up with on PS5, but performance on my PC Odyssey has improved radically from Patch 4 to where we are with Patch 9 now.

I own Odyssey on PC and moved from PS4 Pro to PS5 with Horizons.

Yes, performance on the PS5 was a radical jump over the PS4.
Its pretty much locked 60fps on PS5.

I don’t know what kind of scaling back we could end up with on PS5, but performance on my PC Odyssey has improved radically from Patch 4 to where we are with Patch 9 now.

Interesting - how does it compare to your pc, obviously with your spec making this more subjective! I'm just curious to know how they compare really mate.

Interesting - how does it compare to your pc, obviously with your spec making this more subjective! I'm just curious to know how they compare really mate.
So, Horizons on PC over PS4, the PS4 version runs at 1080p with mostly what I can tell are Medium graphic quality.

The PS4 Pro has one or two items popped up to High, especially the shadow quality, but some of the snazzy post processing effects have been broken for a while now.

For Odyssey, my 6 month old gaming PC runs it very well now, it’s still a bit slower at CZ’s but the skipping/hitching frames are gone.

Odyssey has definitely added and improved various aspects of ELITE’s overall quality (subjective, as some are changed significantly, like the new PBR lighting).

I’m intrigued to see what the developers can do with Odyssey on console. We definitely need something better than 1080p, maybe one of the fancy upscaler, or something, or even just some better aliasing options.

For PS5, nothing new, it runs Horizons using the PS4 Pro version but with locked 60fps which wasn’t fully achieved before.

Last edited:
Ps4's 1080p also means less computing power needed than for modern highres setups in the pc world. For me ED in 1080p was enough. I would like to get the gameplayloops of EDO: the essence of edo.

It is obvious, that the ps4 can't do any 8K stuff... it has not to. The essence of edo is enough for me.

This is a general misconception by many FDev-defending PC gamers. They compare EDOs needed computing power for feeding their big screens in 4K or 8K with an console.... the ps4 only has to get it in 1080p on a FHD-Monitor/TV and maybe without some very ressource hungry effects.

So the ps4 has not only less computing power, it has also the lower target: a max. res. of 1080p. Same goes for XB. Don't forget these facts.

Yes grpahics cards got much better with the years, but also grew the monitors and the resolution which has to be fed with data.

For me 1080p would be more than good. Even our german public (non-private) broadcasters ARD & ZDF only deliver their shows in 720p.... sad but true (even more unbelievable, if you consider, that every resident MUST pay for it by law even if you have no receiving devices!) Soooo yeah.... I do not demand visuals that look exactly the same as on highres capable PCs. It's okay for the old consoles to deliver, what they can do without stuttering. It's about the essence of EDO: The gameplay loops - not the exact same visuals on a super super high resolution... a highres-preset should be optional delivered for the guys on ps5, okay.... but as for the base consoles it's okay not to have every shiny glimmery bling bling. Just give us the essence on the base consoles - and a higher res setting for the ps5/XBsx guys.

Last edited:
Just give us the essence on the base consoles - and a higher res setting for the ps5/XBsx guys.
1 setting for last gen 1 setting for next gen would be easier to port over for us PS users.
I certainly don't need all the super duper GUI interfaces of the PC with super HiRes monitors, as I have just FDH TV and that's absolutely fine for EDH and I'm sure it would do for EDO.
No stutter/shake/network issues AT ALL with my trusty PS4.

Top Bottom