When will I be able to use ARX to buy access to engineering?

I'm a NOOB, yes
I play open, yes
I don't stand a chance in PvP, damn right you are
Did I read and study the forum before buying the game, no I read the cover

With the coming expansions of the game Space-legs and Atmospheric-landings, this game will hopefully attract many new players to this Galaxy.

But the years of grinding to engineer a build, before new players are able to venture in to the "Open Galaxy", makes a hard selling point.

Unless there is a shortcut...... a golden egg for Frontier --> ARX

You don't need an engineered ship to play in open. You just need to know how to outfit your ship and how to run away quickly. Also it helps if you avoid the hot spots.
Yes, I know the advise: hot spot fly Solo
But doesn't that cripple the game-play?
It seems that PvP is more a contest of level of engineering than a contest of dog-fighting-skills

external-content.duckduckgo.com(28).jpg

Pvp has been properly gated by the engineer grind. Most of the vets cant understand that, because they cant project themselves into the new user experience. Development has been slow and gradual, they had the time to fossilize. Now that Arx is there, what is the difference between bypassing grinds for paintjobs and bypassing it for modules? Not that Horizon isnt already a paid DLC anyway, so "not pay to win" my ARX.

Have you unlocked most of the 25 engineers in a few weeks?
When engineers came out, I unlocked a couple of the easy ones and then went on an exploration trip for a few months. On my return I did unlock most of the rest - at a time when it was a lot harder than now - in a couple of weeks. It's doable if you concentrate on it, especially if you have a friend load you up with rares for those unlocks.

As far as PvP goes, you only need to unlock all/most of the engineers if you're planning to build a ship which can win fights. If you just want to survive to run away you need far fewer - the fewest is Martuuk->Brandon + McQuinn->Olmanova but if you wanted to stay in the bubble then Farseer, McQuinn->Jean->Vatermann, Dweller->Cheung gets you all the primary defensive and utility blueprints at a decent level very quickly.

As the Colonia Engineers develop further, you can already engineer a PvP grade ship with just those - so four engineers, plus four more to find out about them, all with really easy unlocks - and in six months or so all PvP-relevant blueprints should be at G5. It's never been simpler to get up the engineering curve.

Pvp has been properly gated by the engineer grind. Most of the vets cant understand that, because they cant project themselves into the new user experience. Development has been slow and gradual, they had the time to fossilize. Now that Arx is there, what is the difference between bypassing grinds for paintjobs and bypassing it for modules? Not that Horizon isnt already a paid DLC anyway, so "not pay to win" my ARX.
The grind to unlock engineers prepares me for PvP. So that's my opt-in. But what to do when the gates to PvP are guarded by teens?

It took me a week at a couple hours a day to unlock all the engineers. It's actually not that hard. If you ut some effort into it. It can be done quickly.

I did the same for the guardian modules.

I flew for a year with only 2 or 3 engineers unlocked. Once I started building a fleet is when I really got into the engineer game. Now with the new progression system and mat traders they made engineering a breeze.

When I first started playing you needed commodities along with mats to engineer

The grind to unlock engineers prepares me for PvP. So that's my opt-in. But what to do when the gates to PvP are guarded by teens?

I fail to see how mining and rare trading prepares for pvp. Would be totally fine to bypass that with Arx. And I'm OK with teens being better than me at videogames. Whatever you do, there is a five-year old chinese already doing it better.

Top Bottom