Where on earth is the ingame tutorial???

I just picked this up on the Steam sale on a whim. I was shocked to find that there is absolutely no ingame tutorial that introduces me to the elements of the game and walks me through the necessarily complex UI. I clicked on the first scenario and it just dumped me into a running (if small) theme park without so much as a helpful tooltip popup.

I was under the impression that this was now a well-polished and fairly complete product. I've seen it receive accolades, I see all the positive reviews it has, and I've seen streamers have fun in this title.

I don't mean to be rude, but how can that be if the game still does not have even the barest walk-through to introduce new players to the experience?

It's flatly not fun to open the game for the first time and be expected to then sit through over a half-hour of youtube videos (and NOT playing the game), just to have the slightest inkling of what on earth is going on on my screen. (You might note that the top comments for those youtube videos are also expressing a desire for an ingame tutorial!)

This is really frustrating. I'm currently considering a refund because this is just that off-putting, and I don't feel like fooling around to figure things out myself the hard way is something I can do within Steam's 2-hour limit for refunds.

For the love of any new players coming in the future, please, get an integrated tutorial experience built into the game that welcomes and introduces players to the elements and facets of your game, so that this frustrating dumped-blindfolded-into-the-deep-end sensation does not have to be shared by anybody else. If you folks figured it out for Elite, you can figure it out here too.

It should be readily apparent that I and many other players who have bothered making remarks about the lack of a tutorial, visible on Steam, Youtube, and Reddit, very much disagree.
Maybe it's time to find another game? You don't seem to be getting on with this one, and don't seem to be interested in learning.

I enjoyed Stray a lot recently. Very nice game. You might not like it though - no tutorial.

And yet many of us were able to figure out this game and create some unbelievable work without an in-game tutorial mode, so it can be done, depending on the effort put into it. Many people spent a lot of time making You Tube tutorials to share what they learned with others. If spending some time watching You Tube videos seems too much, then I wonder how you'll be able to spend hours, days, even weeks creating things in the game? PC is very much a game revolving around creativity, and that creativity takes time. If you want a game where you just plop down pre-builts and worry more about the simulation aspects and making a profitable park, then there are other games out there that do that better, that's not PC's strong suit.

Story mode is the hand holding.
Start at the first one and do it in order... dont skip... they teach the basics... but you will get so so bored of the floating arrow in the end was so happy, so happy when that thing finaly gone..
Many of the trophies are a bit RNG and some requires cheating on PS4. so good job you are online and can find out the cheat codes needed to get them... lol..
I finished story mode... and got the platinum trophy... but thats the tiny bit o the game and box mode is so much more...

Maybe it's time to find another game? You don't seem to be getting on with this one, and don't seem to be interested in learning.

I enjoyed Stray a lot recently. Very nice game. You might not like it though - no tutorial.
Stray builds its tutorial into its experience and is completely oranges to apples to the kind of complex builder game that Planet Coaster is. I don't know why you are so concerned with what games I get on with or not.

And yet many of us were able to figure out this game and create some unbelievable work without an in-game tutorial mode, so it can be done, depending on the effort put into it. Many people spent a lot of time making You Tube tutorials to share what they learned with others. If spending some time watching You Tube videos seems too much, then I wonder how you'll be able to spend hours, days, even weeks creating things in the game? PC is very much a game revolving around creativity, and that creativity takes time. If you want a game where you just plop down pre-builts and worry more about the simulation aspects and making a profitable park, then there are other games out there that do that better, that's not PC's strong suit.
Okay, good for you. I have plenty of other games that give me tools and teach me how to use them in a fun-immersive way - letting me engage in that time-consuming creativity at the same time, instead of expecting me to sit for up to an hour watching youtube, not playing and not doing anything creative whatsoever.

Immersive tutorials have been a standard of these games since Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, which this game is supposed to hail from. The lack of that threw me off badly enough that I got frustrated and no longer felt like giving this a go. And it's evident that I am not alone on this.

This is a real case of missed opportunity. My time and money are going elsewhere because of this flaw. I don't know how to put it any more plainly than that.

Story mode is the hand holding.
Start at the first one and do it in order... dont skip... they teach the basics... but you will get so so bored of the floating arrow in the end was so happy, so happy when that thing finaly gone..
Many of the trophies are a bit RNG and some requires cheating on PS4. so good job you are online and can find out the cheat codes needed to get them... lol..
I finished story mode... and got the platinum trophy... but thats the tiny bit o the game and box mode is so much more...
I cannot agree. I entered the 'story mode' and there was no explanation about anything, the most I could find was a list of objectives to meet. I'm sure it must seem casual if you've reached a 'hardcore' park-building level of experience with the game, but it does not suffice as an introductory learning experience.

I cannot agree. I entered the 'story mode' and there was no explanation about anything, the most I could find was a list of objectives to meet. I'm sure it must seem casual if you've reached a 'hardcore' park-building level of experience with the game, but it does not suffice as an introductory learning experience.
Console version has hand holding.... way to much

So far you've wasted how much time posting here complaining when you could have simply watched the video tutorials you said you had no time for? LOL!
Laughing off my frustration is about as much as I've learned to expect from these forums. What constructive merit does your response here serve, exactly?

For the record, I have viewed the video tutorials, and no, I did not find them sufficient and they absolutely killed my engagement with the game. Youtube videos are not a sufficient alternative to an integrated tutorial experience.

Planet Coaster has come to the end of development. There is nothing more coming, including any in-game tutorials. Period. Perhaps if there is a future PC2 things will be different.

Just not sure what your hostility and antagonism is about here. You have responded negatively to every single post in this thread, as I'm sure you will to this one.
Fronteir barely even moderates these forums any more. They went a couple of months without even posting a monthly roundup email.

PC has not been in active development for years, so your complaint appears to be a bit contrived.

You want a tutorial, we all got that.

I mean, you absolutely have every right to be annoyed by the lack of tutorials, but it's like you're complaining about the missing lantern that burned down the barn four years ago. No point in wasting effort or time over it. Don't play the game and move on.

Last edited:
Just not sure what your hostility and antagonism is about here. You have responded negatively to every single post in this thread, as I'm sure you will to this one.
Fronteir barely even moderates these forums any more. They went a couple of months without even posting a monthly roundup email.

PC has not been in active development for years, so your complaint appears to be a bit contrived.

You want a tutorial, we all got that.

I mean, you absolutely have every right to be annoyed by the lack of tutorials, but it's like you're complaining about the missing lantern that burned down the barn four years ago. No point in wasting effort or time over it. Don't play the game and move on.

I've responded in kind to what have amounted to dismissals of my frustration and first-hand experience that have been shared by many others.

If it's true PC has not received development for years, that is Fdev's responsibility and choice (though an odd one, as it would have been an easy way to make the game more popular and accessible and thereby achieve more sales). Nothing about that makes my complaint and desire for a real integrated tutorial a 'contrivance'.

What drives you to try and gatekeep this complaint? Do you view anything positive at all about your message to "Don't play and move on"? In what way is that possibly constructive? Think about it - you're actively trying to shut down player interest in this game. If you can't see the problem with that, then you simply are part of the problem.

Top Bottom