Engineers Which engineer modification go for with multi cannon ?

Hey i am modding my vulture, iI use two 3c multi cannons, which modification should i roll at engineers and which special effects i should aim for? The vulture is for pve so which special effects work against npcs?

Last edited:
My personal choice would be overcharged and corrosive shell on one of them.

Some of the special effects (Auto-loader, for example) reduce the overall ammo capacity.

All my MC are overcharged with no special effects (except the corrosive shell).

Hey i am modding my vulture, iI use two 3c multi cannons, which modification should i roll at engineers and which special effects i should aim for? The vulture is for pve so which special effects work against npcs?

Overcharged auto-loader and overcharged corrosive.

IMO corrosive + incendiary. You need to take down shields with something and thermal damage of incendiary MC will be really handy here.
As for upgrades themselves - either both overcharged, or overcharged incendiary + increased ammo capacity corrosive, to counter ammo decrese from special.

MCs have negligible cap draw, so despite the nerf OC is still your best bet as a blanket answer.

Effects wise - you're in an awkward place. Two C3 weapons are poor for applying effects. One corrosive/one incendiary would technically be viable but you're not getting much out the corrosive at all.

Last edited:
One Overcharged MC with Corrosive, yes. If I may be so bold, switch out the other MC with a large Efficient 5 beam laser?

I'm currently running Annie with this:

1 x 4A Beam Grade 5 Efficient
3 x 3C MC Grade5 Overcharge + Incendiary
2 x 2F MC Grade5 Overcharge + Incendiary
1 x 1G MC Grade5 Overcharge + Incendiary
1 x 1G MC Grade5 OVercharge + Corrosive

Gets hot if I'm trigger happy. Have to let it cool down. However most PVE ships have run out of hull when I get to that point. I did run the huge MC like the others I have, but for smaller ships I like the beam. Also I can use the beam when the MC's are cooling back down.

I've nearly gotten to the end of my first engineer grind and I can't do anymore to be honest for a while. I'll go back and experiment at a later date with thermal shock and also with no special effect. Tempted to fully load up on Scramble Spectrum Pulses and have a play.

I've nearly gotten to the end of my first engineer grind and I can't do anymore to be honest for a while. I'll go back and experiment at a later date with thermal shock and also with no special effect. Tempted to fully load up on Scramble Spectrum Pulses and have a play.
This. Except I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through. barf

My personal choice would be overcharged and corrosive shell on one of them.

Some of the special effects (Auto-loader, for example) reduce the overall ammo capacity.

All my MC are overcharged with no special effects (except the corrosive shell).
Actually auto loader doesn’t, but corrosive does by 20%. So you might want to consider hicap, corrosive on one.

MCs have negligible cap draw, so despite the nerf OC is still your best bet as a blanket answer.

Effects wise - you're in an awkward place. Two C3 weapons are poor for applying effects. One corrosive/one incendiary would technically be viable but you're not getting much out the corrosive at all.
I am pretty sure corrosive doesn’t stack, so 1 is all you need. Incendiary does though. IIRC corrosive gives a flat 25% reduction in armour hardness, regardless of number of weapons or size. Which is why putting a small one in a C1 slot is a good idea for ships that have a lot of hard points.

I'm running my Conda on a 4A Efficient Beam with Thermal Draw, 2 x Class 3 Turreted Over-charged Bursts.

The MC's are 3 x Class 3 Overcharged Turrets with Auto-loaders, 2 x Class 1 Turreted MCs, both with corrosive at the back. All G5.

It will eat anything PvE, for PvP, I'd replace 1 Class 3 MC with a Turreted Efficient Beam with Thermal Draw.

Oh, and go for a rapid recharge Power Distributor.

My Krait runs with 2 Class 2 MCs - both are G5 Overcharged, with one Corrosive and one Incendiary as far as experimentals go.

Once I've stripped the shields with the 3x Class 3 Beam Lasers (all G5 Efficient/Thermal Vent), the MCs do a great job of ripping through the hull.

I have lightweight multi cannons on mine but with flow control. According to Coriolis there's no difference between the flow control effect and corrosive shell, unless there's a hidden attribute I'm not aware of?

The only thing that is different is the ammo capacity.

Having not compared either I'm all ears for suggestions as I'm currently engineering mine for the first time as well 🙂

I have lightweight multi cannons on mine but with flow control. According to Coriolis there's no difference between the flow control effect and corrosive shell, unless there's a hidden attribute I'm not aware of?

The only thing that is different is the ammo capacity.

Having not compared either I'm all ears for suggestions as I'm currently engineering mine for the first time as well 🙂
Well yes the hidden attribute that corrosive gives is a reduction in the targets armour hardness. Armour hardness varies with ship and it can’t be changed by engineering. Lowest is the Sidewinder and Hauler at 20, highest is T10 with 75. Each weapon in ED has an armour piercing rating Which varies with weapon type and class and this can be changed by engineering. For example focussed engineering on burst or pulse lasers increases piercing significantly. Corrosive works the other way round. It temporarily reduces the targets armour rating by 25%. So a T10 would go from 75 to 56. Any weapon that has a lower piercing than the targets armour hardness gets a reduction in damage. The great thing about corrosive is it helps all your weapons, not just the MC. It has a downside as you correctly stated of reducing the ammo capacity so you run out quicker. You can balance that with Hicap which increases ammo.
You have chosen an interesting combination for your MC’s. What sort of ship are they going on? You will have very light guns with very little power draw or distributor draw. The flow control reduces power consumption further. How ever unlike Efficient or overcharged it doesn’t increase your damage potential. Your choice would be for someone who wants to puts guns on an exploration ship, but wants to save as much weight and power as possible.

On a corvette..
2x huge rapid fire MCs one with corrosive one with either over charged or Incendiary.
All the rest beams. All thermal vented all over charged..
Watch em melt.
All gimballed except the turret underbelly.

Well yes the hidden attribute that corrosive gives is a reduction in the targets armour hardness. Armour hardness varies with ship and it can’t be changed by engineering. Lowest is the Sidewinder and Hauler at 20, highest is T10 with 75. Each weapon in ED has an armour piercing rating Which varies with weapon type and class and this can be changed by engineering. For example focussed engineering on burst or pulse lasers increases piercing significantly. Corrosive works the other way round. It temporarily reduces the targets armour rating by 25%. So a T10 would go from 75 to 56. Any weapon that has a lower piercing than the targets armour hardness gets a reduction in damage. The great thing about corrosive is it helps all your weapons, not just the MC. It has a downside as you correctly stated of reducing the ammo capacity so you run out quicker. You can balance that with Hicap which increases ammo.
You have chosen an interesting combination for your MC’s. What sort of ship are they going on? You will have very light guns with very little power draw or distributor draw. The flow control reduces power consumption further. How ever unlike Efficient or overcharged it doesn’t increase your damage potential. Your choice would be for someone who wants to puts guns on an exploration ship, but wants to save as much weight and power as possible.
I thought it increased the weapons' armour piercing values by 20 points, and also increased damage by 25% on top of that.

I thought it increased the weapons' armour piercing values by 20 points, and also increased damage by 25% on top of that.
You may be right, and it is what the Wiki says, but then another source said it was a straight 25% reduction in armour hardness. Whichever it is pretty useful!

On a corvette..
2x huge rapid fire MCs one with corrosive one with either over charged or Incendiary.
All the rest beams. All thermal vented all over charged..
Watch em melt.
All gimballed except the turret underbelly.
Why rapid fire? The opinions I have seen suggest that the DPS advantage over OC is minimal and you burn through ammo a lot quicker, particularly with corrosive with 20% less to start with. Running a CZ you would risk running out.

I did stipulate on huge only. And you do not run out on 2 highs I know I do em daily
MCs on large or medium etc do run out. But not those huge baby's

Top Bottom