Which HOTAS should I buy?

My Warthog arrived yesterday much to my surprise, wasn't expecting it till next month sometime. I've read that one doesn't need to install T.A.R.G.E.T if one is going to utilize ED's default for Warthogs. This HOTAS is so vastly different than my previous hotas one x. The quality, the overwhelming number of button and switches to reconfigure. Thus I'm going to use the default and as time passes and I get use to it, alter some of the defaults. But in as much as they are all in different locations, gonna be a while before my old brain can memorize just what and where the various defaults are.

If anyone is interested, I've found that the tension on the stick is way to strong and after watching a few video's about it. I cut one half of the first loop or coil and tried it for an hour, needed a bit more so I cut another half of the first loop or coil and now it's very do-able. And unlike the videos that show taking it out all together which I did try. Taking it out results in not enough to return the stick to zero post haste. While the removal of just one loop or coil does.

All in all, I'm really impressed with it though it's gonna be a while before I remember where and what everything is and does. The only negative is, I got use to the twisting motion of my previous stick when it came to utilizing yaw. I've had to set one of the buttons to do it. Which feels kind of odd compared to the previous. OH, I'll eventually get use to it. And after a decade or two, be flying as well as previously. LOL

My Warthog arrived yesterday much to my surprise, wasn't expecting it till next month sometime. I've read that one doesn't need to install T.A.R.G.E.T if one is going to utilize ED's default for Warthogs. This HOTAS is so vastly different than my previous hotas one x. The quality, the overwhelming number of button and switches to reconfigure. Thus I'm going to use the default and as time passes and I get use to it, alter some of the defaults. But in as much as they are all in different locations, gonna be a while before my old brain can memorize just what and where the various defaults are.

If anyone is interested, I've found that the tension on the stick is way to strong and after watching a few video's about it. I cut one half of the first loop or coil and tried it for an hour, needed a bit more so I cut another half of the first loop or coil and now it's very do-able. And unlike the videos that show taking it out all together which I did try. Taking it out results in not enough to return the stick to zero post haste. While the removal of just one loop or coil does.

All in all, I'm really impressed with it though it's gonna be a while before I remember where and what everything is and does. The only negative is, I got use to the twisting motion of my previous stick when it came to utilizing yaw. I've had to set one of the buttons to do it. Which feels kind of odd compared to the previous. OH, I'll eventually get use to it. And after a decade or two, be flying as well as previously. LOL
Sorry to tell you this but you will need to use the TARGET software.

Sorry to tell you this but you will need to use the TARGET software.
I have downloaded it and installed and even glanced at the program when I opened it. But as of now, I've not done anything with in it. I've only clicked on the Warthog default in ED's controller section. Is there something I'm missing by not utilizing it?

The Virpil Constellation Alpha is available for pre-order on their site now. I've ordered one along with a warbird base. The site says it will ship in about 120 days, so I'll have a bit of a wait until I get it.

Anyone else order one?

The Virpil Constellation Alpha is available for pre-order on their site now. I've ordered one along with a warbird base. The site says it will ship in about 120 days, so I'll have a bit of a wait until I get it.

Anyone else order one?
I did, got lucky on the day preorders opened up so am on the 90 day timeline.

Burned three T16k's in two years. They always had centering issues after a few months.

Cast my vote for VKB Gladiator MK II with Kosmosima ( SCG ) grip. No TARGET software to load. Very solid design that should last for years, and it's a field serviceable unit, so I can get replacement parts if needed. You can swap out multiple handles to the base as well, so if the standard KG12 doesn't work for you, upgrade to the SCG, MCG, or even the new F-14... About $250 with shipping.

I like the extra buttons on the base. I tend to keep my right hand on the stick, and my left on the base to work the throttle and extra buttons. Works very well for me. 3 4-way ( with center press ) hats, multiple triggers, and 'twist' on the handle. 14 buttons on the base, plus the ability to change the standard buttons 'mode' for another 9 virtual buttons. 50+ buttons if you want to program them all, and I can load custom config's for each game.

You might want to have a look at this:

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/shop/warthog-green-springs/

I got this for my Warthog, and the difference is amazing. The install is a simple swap-out of the main spring and takes only a few minutes.

You might want to have a look at this:

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/shop/warthog-green-springs/

I got this for my Warthog, and the difference is amazing. The install is a simple swap-out of the main spring and takes only a few minutes.
I looked long and hard at his site and though I would have rather bought his green spring. Because the issues I'd have in getting it shipped to Mexico. I decided to just remove small pieces of the first coil until I basically achieved the same effect as the green spring; Which ended up being almost one whole coil or loop. I tried it with and without the little ones, but not noticing any difference, kept them in.

wired x box pad for a score...…………. youll be home running a Coriolis with flight assist off in no time and it is just as precise as warthog in the right hands hands down I kid you not
I had a warthog it was very impressive but it had no twist yaw so I sold it (muscle memory can your adaptability)
what I find ironic is whilst flight sim heads try to get authentic expensive flight yolks etc so that they feel like there actually realistic counterparts
air craft control column designers are trying to make them more x box like (sidestick=sidethumb)
dont give me a frown when your ILS
down and your canopays all shot to bits
just pull on the stick
stick ya flaps outa bit
and glide like ya landing on
:D :D

Last edited:

Anyone else order one?
I was going to order one, but I can't get logged in to the shop no matter what I do. I even raised a ticket and they reset something, but I still can't get in. It's stupid because I can login to the ticket system and their forum, just not the shop.

I've been using twin Virpil MongoosT-50 for the last two years (about 3000 hours). They're absolutely brilliant. I can see them lasting for ever- all ball bearings in the mechanism and contactless sensors.

I must say that I like the look of this thing, which is very tempting:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...namics-6dof-joystick-early-access/description

Last edited:
I have downloaded it and installed and even glanced at the program when I opened it. But as of now, I've not done anything with in it. I've only clicked on the Warthog default in ED's controller section. Is there something I'm missing by not utilizing it?
Perhaps ED has changed the game to where you can use it with out TARGET if so I was not aware of it.

I was going to order one, but I can't get logged in to the shop no matter what I do. I even raised a ticket and they reset something, but I still can't get in. It's stupid because I can login to the ticket system and their forum, just not the shop.

I've been using twin Virpil MongoosT-50 for the last two years (about 3000 hours). They're absolutely brilliant. I can see them lasting for ever- all ball bearings in the mechanism and contactless sensors.

I must say that I like the look of this thing, which is very tempting:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...namics-6dof-joystick-early-access/description

I've been looking at both of those myself, especially the Sublight Dynamics one. I was originally also keeping my eye on Virpil VFX, but the two reviews I've seen on them doesn't convince me it's what I want. I definitely need twist on my stick. Something about the Kosmosima didn't appeal to me, but I don't remember what now.

How do you suspect constellation Alpha will compare to Delta?

I have just preordered the alpha to replace the delta, looks more suited to what I was used to in functionality using X52 pro for 5 years in elite.

I've had my Warthog going on three weeks now, and though I've downloaded and installed the Thrustmaster's TARGET program. I've not utilized it except to turn off the LED lighting on the throttle assembly. I only utilize the default which ED has available. Took me a wee bit of doing but using the trip to Hutton I managed to set the ever so slight discrepancies in the yall, roll and pitch by utilizing the dead spot adjustments available via the controller section of the game. Doing a test afterwards, I manage to go from the staring star to Hutton without the use of the module which is now available referred to by some as cruise control. After the usual 90 minute flight, I was less than one inch off the vector when it came time to drop into the Hutton instance.

After utilizing a twist type hotas for the better of two years; It took a bit of getting use to but I managed to reconfigure the button or switch located on the right side near the top of the right throttle for the purpose of yall-ing. And now after only three weeks, I actually have more control at yall-ing then I did with the twisting type I had previously.

If you have a warthog and hate that gawd awful middle button on the throttle here is a great replacement for it. It takes a while to get it, come from the UK. I have had mine about 2 months and love it.

https://deltasimelectronics.com/
Apparently it's called a "SLEW" and I got free along with the Warthog when it arrived. Not knowing what it was for I did some research and found out just how much more useful it is compared to the one that came already installed. Replaced it, and man oh man is it better than the pre-installed.

Top Bottom