General / Off-Topic Which OS are you using?

I mean who’s comfortable. I’m off at MAC OS, I’ve heard that some people put on their Windows apples) I’m looking at Linux now. There are Linux users here, share their impressions.

Windows 10 and Linux - Ubuntu Mate.

As a daily driver OS, I don't really notice either (which is as it should be - the job of an OS is to get out of your way and let you do the tasks you need to do without having to wade through menus.) I like Linux because, well, it doesn't send telemetry - I can turn it off if I choose.

For games, I use Win10. Sure, I could use Proton to run my Steam games, but it's still all a bit too much of a faff for me to bother with. Besides, I don't just use Steam, and I'd rather not have to faff about configuring an FL Studio install and all my VSTs.

A bunch of them, but of the systems I use most often my main gaming box runs Windows Server 2022 and my ten year old Thinkpad runs Manjaro xfce.

In general, I prefer Windows for gaming and media playback (Linux still has poor HDR support), but Linux for most other uses because it's less of a chore to setup...mostly because the default Windows settings are so phenomenally abysmal, requiring enterprise, education, or LTSB licenses to knock out most telemetry spyware and advertising nagware without breaking the rest of the OS.

I mean who’s comfortable. I’m ****ed off at MAC OS, I’ve heard that some people put on their Windows apples) I’m looking at Linux now. There are Linux users here, share their impressions.
Long-time Linux user here, and I love it (though it's not perfect). For gaming I use an "old" version of Windows 10 (1909) that has had everything turned off and / or ripped out that I could get away with, and it's surprisingly stable. If I'm ever forced to give up Windows 10, I'll switch to Linux for gaming as well, or worst-case I'll go back to console gaming.

BTW, I used to be a Mac guy, until Steve Jobs passed and quality went right down the loo, especially software (though hardware has been hit-n-miss as well).

Linux user for everything since 2013.
Today is much better then 5 years ago. Install Steam, set proton experimental as default, play games. Some old games require older Protons though. For everything else except games symlink proton from Steam to .wine and let system use it.
This year you don't need any other custom wine installation.
IT tools are the best, there are no comparable on market as for my taste (that's why I switched to Linux on 1st place).

P.S. some advice - pick ArchLinux. Spend a day or two and build exact system you need like in Lego. Systems with fancy installers like Ubuntu ...well, those are the same as Windows - they think they're smarter then you and limit you from the every corner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, now there is no doubt about Linux. There are some good guides about setting. And as far as he’s concerned with pirated software, I’m in video editing.

At one of the forums I was advised to read on the site https://wiki.archlinux.org/. Looking for information and opinions are divided. Here, https://www.ditchwindows.com/ for example, there are strong arguments in favor of Linux, but it stops some programs adapting to Linux. Someone praises ubuntu. So I’m just confused.
I don't think you can use Adobe products directly. As I recall they always (since like 1995) had problems with anything except Windows. But there are open source alternatives, 1st google result: https://kdenlive.org/en/
About arch/ubuntu. Key point in all linux-based systems is packages. Instead visiting web-sites to download & install things like on Windows you use in-system package manager to request what you need (MS took this idea as "Windows Store").
So visible difference between 2 linux names will be package manager used and default installed amount of packages / their configuration. Also periodicity of the updates. For example Arch Linux gets updates when it's created, it can be couple times per day. Ubuntu gets it once a week at most and uses 1-2 years old "stable" versions. Also arch has text manual you should follow to install it then you add what you want, while Ubuntu is 1-2 buttons to click in GUI installer and it will put many Gbs of "never used" packages by default.

Example, how it looks on my arch linux ( I typed command):
[alex@mymsi 20:26:51 scripts]$ yaourt kdenlive
1 extra/kdenlive 23.04.2-1 (kde-applications kde-multimedia)
A non-linear video editor for Linux using the MLT video framework
2 aur/kdenlive-appimage 23.04.1-0 (6) (0,00)
A non-linear video editor for Linux using the MLT video framework
3 aur/kdenlive-git 23.07.70.r18073-1 (66) (0,02)
A non-linear video editor for Linux using the MLT video framework. KF5 Frameworks (Latest Applications GIT Version)
4 aur/kdenlive-release-git 22.12.2.r17139-1 (0) (0,00)
A non-linear video editor. Following latest released branch in git.
5 aur/kdenlive-testing-git 19.03.70.r10665.4fc2f242e-1 (0) (0,00)
A non-linear video editor. Following the refactoring timeline branch in git.
==> Enter n° of packages to be installed (e.g., 1 2 3 or 1-3)
==> ---------------------------------------------------------
==>

Last edited:
Me? MacOS for productivity. (catalina 2023-003 and recently monterey, specifically 12.6.4). I would so love to bore you with the details of why and for which machine but i wont.

I have a gaming pc that's windows 10. Ever since windows 10 defined that you couldn't disable telemetry, the "computer" side of my brain hasn't done any personal productivity on the os, ever, at all, since. And yes i know apple does probably the exact same, it just chooses not to use your data so they can sell to teens their ecosystem is private.

Also for phones i use android. I was back on ios for the last year, until a few weeks ago where i returned to android. I feel so safe.. ios is freaky, scary, just cannot be done once you've used android.

Also for phones i use android. I was back on ios for the last year, until a few weeks ago where i returned to android. I feel so safe.. ios is freaky, scary, just cannot be done once you've used android.
I agree, but am getting PO'd that android doesn't give security updates after a couple years. My S8+ has great hardware, but this scummy practice of not releasing android updates after 2-3 years is a blatant cash grab. Meanwhile my other family members get ios updates for as long as the phone is in one piece.

Ever since windows 10 defined that you couldn't disable telemetry, the "computer" side of my brain hasn't done any personal productivity on the os, ever, at all, since.
I disabled telemetry at the router. No outbound traffic makes it back to Microsoft.

And yes i know apple does probably the exact same,
It sure does! As an iOS user, I did with Apple what I did with Microsoft. Why does Apple need to read all the notifications from my YouTube account, for example?

it just chooses not to use your data so they can sell to teens their ecosystem is private.
I'm not so trusting of Apple. They say they value your privacy, yet they collect your information all the same..

Also for phones i use android.
Speaking of insane telemetry...

I use an old Windows Phone, which can't run anything but the included apps, which basically is the phone, camera, map / gps, and texting. From what I can tell, Microsoft shut down all the servers related to Windows Phone (with the exception of maps), so even if there was telemetry built in, I don't think anyone is on the other end watching. Of course your phone company is tracking and selling everything you do, but that's why I keep my phone in airplane mode 99% of the time (that and battery life).

Last edited:
A bunch of them, but of the systems I use most often my main gaming box runs Windows Server 2022 and my ten year old Thinkpad runs Manjaro xfce.

In general, I prefer Windows for gaming and media playback (Linux still has poor HDR support), but Linux for most other uses because it's less of a chore to setup...mostly because the default Windows settings are so phenomenally abysmal, requiring enterprise, education, or LTSB licenses to knock out most telemetry spyware and advertising nagware without breaking the rest of the OS.
How is the driver support thus hardware performance for gaming in Windows Server? Did you experience any limitations?

How is the driver support thus hardware performance for gaming in Windows Server? Did you experience any limitations?

Most Windows 10/11 (and even some Windows 7) drivers work fine in Windows Server 2019/2022. In general, stuff works out of the box like one was installing it on Windows 10, but some driver packages are overly specific in what versions of Windows they support (as dictated by their .inf entries). In these cases, I just modify the driver .inf file and shorten such references, then install the drivers manually while driver signature enforcement is disabled. The only common hardware that this is strictly necessary for is AMD graphics cards.

I agree, but am getting PO'd that android doesn't give security updates after a couple years. My S8+ has great hardware, but this scummy practice of not releasing android updates after 2-3 years is a blatant cash grab. Meanwhile my other family members get ios updates for as long as the phone is in one piece.

From using iphones since the early days.. i have a very different view. I think its also cute both apple and microsoft have got people to default into thinking that "security updates" are the highest ideal, when both companies have created this endless boogey man of control into pretty much everyone.

On the apple side at least, software updates without fail come with some performance cost. Over later years they seem to be well behaved to contain it to major releases, ie, your device will step down via the major upgrades not really point releases anymore.. For me, its far more upsetting to have my device perform slower than it is to not be "secured". I don't need full condom protection anymore, i know i don't because i'm simply not that active... if you can make a finite list of websites you will ever go to on your phone... the "encouragement" to upgrade is far, far more expensive than an extra layer of internet security. I've been doing that for years now.. the best example i still have is an 4th gen (i think) ipad mini, running ios 14.7 still... and it works great...

Moving more into android now.. i wouldn't put it past the larger vendors to do similar things, but at least there is competition there, so if they make you want to upgrade by slowing down you're phone, you're much less inclined to buy the same brand again.

ps. I also have a galaxy 8plus in a draw, yes it still works great. The usb port failed a while ago (possibly my fault) and i cracked the rear glass, so upgraded to an a54 recently.. while overall the newer phone has enough features to feel like i have an overall upgrade, its probably the smallest qualifying step, the s8+ is still awesome today, unlike apple still fast on the last software update... though if you care yes it stopped receiving updates last april, or the year before..

Anyway, I think me and android are going to be friends :) I'm okay with the privacy issues.

Current samsungs get 4 years of version support and one year of security after that.. will be interesting to see if the device is still usable. I think after the third or so ios device that was made useless by hitting update, apple started a war with me :)

I disabled telemetry at the router. No outbound traffic makes it back to Microsoft.

Good idea. Yeah i disabled myself to microsoft. They're welcome to datamine my gaming habits. If only i saw more adds for space and dinosaur games id just watch them all day.

Actually more seriously, i live out of outlook.com so they have me anyway. We pay for the cloud storage, and as far as im aware they have the absolute best possible security options.. specifically, they let you log in with any one of your mailbox aliases, and make it exclusively that, so you can make your login credentials completely private. This is insanely good if you think about it.

It sure does! As an iOS user, I did with Apple what I did with Microsoft. Why does Apple need to read all the notifications from my YouTube account, for example?

I'm not so trusting of Apple. They say they value your privacy, yet they collect your information all the same..

Speaking of insane telemetry...

Random trivia for apple people, macos still logs the telemetry even if you choose not to send it. You can only wonder why, its an easy check, see console app in the telemtry section. You can maybe, turn this off? Its done via a unix utility called 'asl' at least, so enjoy that rabbit hole.

I use an old Windows Phone, which can't run anything but the included apps, which basically is the phone, camera, map / gps, and texting. From what I can tell, Microsoft shut down all the servers related to Windows Phone (with the exception of maps), so even if there was telemetry built in, I don't think anyone is on the other end watching. Of course your phone company is tracking and selling everything you do, but that's why I keep my phone in airplane mode 99% of the time (that and battery life).

Yeah i used to use airplane mode for battery life... but got over it a while back. On ios at least, you might be able to turn on wifi after airplane mode.. that should be good for saving battery life at home.

Top Bottom