Newcomer / Intro Why are all mining hotspots totally deprived of what they are supposedly a hotspot of, and how can people claim that they are making money with ...

... with mining when there is obviously none to make?

I have been flying around for days going to rings and asteroid belts in various systems, and all places I have found and visited did not have any of the resource at all that was indicated by the hotspot. Either the game itself is broken, or all the surface scanners in different ships I used must be broken.

I have tried mining in COL 285 Sector CC-K A38-2, and that place seems an anomaly. I got no more 50t of LTDs in 2.5 hours of mining at a hotspot there, and slightly more when I accidentially dropped into the ring 300Mm away from the closest hotspot. I haven't been there since the last update and can only assume that the anomaly is gone, and someone in the squad mining there wondered where the diamonds are. As the place 400lys is away from my favourite base, I'm not inclined there again because it's just too time consuming to even go there. Even if I get a few diamonds, I'd have to go at least another 200lys just to sell them. The place is so remote and inaccessible that even with a fuel scoop, it's hard to reach, and I wouldn't go with an extra fuel tank.

It's also not possible to log out while mining because you end up somewhere outside the ring and get shot down by pirates when you try to go back.

All that makes mining only a nuisance and a total waste of time with nothing but disappointment to gain from it.

And do the math: It takes about 5 hours to mine and sell 50t LTDs which, if you're lucky and if you even get that much, sell for 75 million. Considering the prices of most ships and what it costs to equiq them, that's like nothing. Now with fleet carriers that, I think, cost 5 billion to begin with, you can calculate that it would take you over 40 days mining for 8 hours per day to be able to buy one.

But how wants to torture themselves like that?

Where is the fun in this game when you can't even try out various ships because you can't afford them anyway? And if you finally can buy one, the insurance you have to pay when you get shot down is so high you can't really do anything with your ship that could put you into any kind of danger. And flying around with anything but limpets in your cargo hold is sufficiently dangerous that you might end up having to pay the insurance.

Add to that the controls are extremely painful when you're using an xbox because you can't use your keyboard and your mouse and that you are stuck with either the xbox controller or a Thrustmuster HOTAS the latter of which doesn't improve anyhting in terms of key bindings, and I keep asking myself why I should play this at all. For example, I keep crashing into asteroids or stations because the key bindings require you to press something together with the B button and every so often, that doesn't work out and you boost instead. Why can't they let us at least use the keyboard? If I am suddenly attacked, I'm dead or almost dead before I finally figured out how to press the many button combinations required to switch the stuipd cockpit modes and to switch to the right firing group while trying to get up to speed and trying to figure out who might be shooting at me and while trying to point the ship at them which turns so awfully slow that it hurts not because of any g forces that might occur but just because it goes in slow motion. Why can't we just set, for example, the 1 key on your keyboard to fire group 1, 2 to fg 2, etc., and why doesn't the cockpit mode automatically switch depending on the mode you would set for it?

What kind of reserves does the ring have?
If it's a ring with depleted reserves, not even a hotspot will yield much stuff.

Or you're doing something else wrong (like core mining for LTDs instead of laser mining or something like that)

I believe that if mining got suddenly broken like that, the forum would not be the kind and friendly place it currently seems like it is.

I tried common, major and pristine reserves, and it doesn't make a difference. I'm using a Python equipped with all the mining tools, so I can do all four kinds of mining I'm aware of. (That's another thing: Doing that leaves you unarmed, and that is ridiculous. If there was any realism to it, mining ships would be heavyly armed or at least very well protected, and you could hire NPC pilots for protection. Or perhaps not because hiring them would be forbiddingly expensive; but then, it would raise the question how pirates finance what they're doing ...)

The prospector limpets tell me what the asteroids have. If I'm lucky, an asteroid has 8--12% content, and they are always quickly depleted. Blowing them up gives only three outcroppings for the blaster to use on, and subsurface deposits aren't any better.

It doesn't matter what I mine for and what kind of mining I'm using. Hotspots only mean that there is anything else but what the hotspot indicates, and 99.99% of it is rather worthless.

And where are all the miners? Considering the demands you see at stations and the rate at which resources can be mined, there would have to be billions of miners working 24/7 all over the rings to have a chance of maybe coming close too ever fulfill them. There would have to be a kind of civil war going on in every ring, being fought between the miners and the pirates. Just think of all the ships the system security guys blow up every day: Where do the resources to build them come from? What about stations, what are they made of? And so on ...

You should pretty much fill up with Limpet Drones as, even in a good spot, you're going to fire off 8-10 prospectors to find an astroid worth mining. A Pulse Wave Scanner is also useful as it highlights astroids with either surface or subsurface deposits. These usually (always?) produce bigger fragments which will fill a bigger percentage of the refiner bin in one hit.

Once you've got your collector limpets to ignore all the low value stuff, they will be going after fewer targets when you do find an astroid with something of interest in it, meaning you can move on more quickly.

But mining isn't for everyone. I can almost always make more per hour trading than mining, but I enjoy the hunt and the occasional good day keeps me coming back for more.

Python? With no Engineering i would use a build like this
Fill it will 120 limpets

No laser mining.
Just boost in the ring scanning with PWS and doing Core Mining (the really bright bright yellow asteroits - usually found at the rate of about one every 30-50 km) or SubSurface Mining (the random yellow asteroids)
And dont waste SubSurface rockets on anything else than LTD SubSurfaceDeposits. And if you find a so called EGG (an asteroid with 4 subsurface deposits) there are chances you will fill up only from that asteroid alone - assuming you dont waste the subsurface deposits with dud missiles (jettison limpets as needed)

Eventually do it in a very strong double hotspot (*) or in the new triple hotspot. A single hotspot won't really cut it.
And after you get familiar with Deep Core and SSD mining, you will get way more than 50t in 2.5 hours.

(*) My notices are listing those systems as having very strong LTD overlaps (in format System | Body)
LTD2 Col 285 Sector EJ-T b19-0 | 7B ## Very V Strong
LTD2 Col 285 Sector RU-E c12-23 | 6A ## Very Very Strong
LTD2 Col 285 Sector BX-G b25-1 | B8B ## Very Very Strong

Last edited:
Is this the longest, most in-depth troll ever, or are you just spectacularly bad at mining?

Edit : and basic flight apparently.

If you don't believe me, you can co-pilot or wing up and you can see for yourself what I'm finding. (I don't know if you can see what the prospectors show as a co-pilot.)

I am bad at pressing all these little buttons on the controller, especially when I need to press many of them at once, which makes it difficult to remember which ones I need to press. Did you never notice that, particularly, ABXY are indistinguishable by touch? I need a keyboard to fly, and there is no reason for the keyboard not being supported on xbox. Why can't I just press 'c' to toggle the cargo hatch, for example? Or 'a' to request docking. That would be so much easier, not only because I can remember that, and previous versions of Elite had that. (And I wonder what happened to the escape pods. The computer still cries "eject, eject, eject ..." despite there are no escape pods like previous generations of ships had, as if someone forgot to update the software on the new models. Or is it because the controller just doesn't have enough buttons to allow you to eject before you're dead?)

Why can't the hardpoints automatically switch to combat mode when I press a fire button to deploy them? In the options, it makes no sense that I can turn on or off their deploying on pressing a fire button but not turn on that combat mode is enabled when I press a fire button while the hardpoints are not deployed.

Isn't there an engineer that can modify your miniguns to deploy faster? What's the point of deploying them faster when you still have to waste time figuring out if and how to switch the cockpit mode and the fire groups? By the time you finally managed, their deployment is more than fast enough without modification.

So call me a troll or see for yourself. Besides mining not working out, it's little things like mouse and keyboard not being supported that are making playing difficult. Did you know that you can't even switch controls between xbox controller and HOTAS? When you do that, the game becomes unusable because all the controls don't work anymore and you have to restart it. Try it for yourself, and you'll see.

Is this the longest, most in-depth troll ever
This would certainly be neither the longest, nor most elaborate troll on these forums, probably not even of this month, much less ever.

That said, this is the Newcomers' Forum, let's assume good faith for now.

The thing that jumps out at me here is the difficulties with the control setup. With the number of bindings ED uses, a poor control scheme can really make the game a perfectly miserable experience. One option would be to make a thread asking for help with that here or in the XBox subforum.

But no, mining is as productive as ever right now. The results OP describes are not typical - the LTD3 systems are full of newish players mining their way to a fleet carrier in a couple of weeks. (I'm not new, but I made a couple billion over a pretty casual weekend last week just to see what all the fuss is about.) I would probably suggest the r/EliteMiners subreddit as a place that has a lot of good resources for new miners.

I need a keyboard to fly

No you dont.
Seriously

My main is on XB playing with a controller (standard XB1s controller with a chatpad, then eventually i upgraded to an Elite Controller with the same chatpad)
My alt is on PC playing with KB/Mouse.

There is no contest - the controller wins at ergonomics hands down
The default bindings on XB controller are brilliant - they just take time to get used to it and to allow the muscle memory to develop

You should pretty much fill up with Limpet Drones as, even in a good spot, you're going to fire off 8-10 prospectors to find an astroid worth mining. A Pulse Wave Scanner is also useful as it highlights astroids with either surface or subsurface deposits. These usually (always?) produce bigger fragments which will fill a bigger percentage of the refiner bin in one hit.

Once you've got your collector limpets to ignore all the low value stuff, they will be going after fewer targets when you do find an astroid with something of interest in it, meaning you can move on more quickly.

But mining isn't for everyone. I can almost always make more per hour trading than mining, but I enjoy the hunt and the occasional good day keeps me coming back for more.

Yes, I have 244 or so cargo space and take 170 drones. Usually I don't use more than 50 drohnes before I decide to leave the spot because there just nothing worthwhile mining. If I did mine something, I can't go to another spot without selling or jettisoning what I mined because the pirates will shoot me. If I mined different things at a place, I either have to go several different stations to get decent prices or sell for less. That is, of course, very time consuming.

And I'm using the pulse wave scanner, yes.

Trade can be better when you find a good trade route. But I don't want to have to run the computer all the time along with the xbox to make use of external databases to find good routes --- and I would need to go a long way to start a good route. Some of the prices are 9 days old, and that defeats the nearby routes that can be found. With only 30lys jump range on the "faster" ships and 18 on the freighter, I'm not really getting anywhere anyway. (The dbs gets a bit more, but I don't like that ship.)

Python? With no Engineering i would use a build like this
Fill it will 120 limpets

No laser mining.
Just boost in the ring scanning with PWS and doing Core Mining (the really bright bright yellow asteroits - usually found at the rate of about one every 30-50 km) or SubSurface Mining (the random yellow asteroids)
And dont waste SubSurface rockes on anything else than LTD SubSurfaceDeposits. And if you find a so called EGG (an asteroid with 4 subsurface deposits) there are chances you will fill up only from that asteroid alone - assuming you dont waste the subsurface deposits with dud missiles (jettison limpets as needed)

Eventually do it in a very strong double hotspot (*) or in the new triple hotspot. A single hotspot won't really cut it.
And after you get familiar with Deep Core and SSD mining, you will get way more than 50t in 2.5 hours.

(*) My notices are listing those systems as having very strong LTD overlaps (in format System | Body)
LTD2 Col 285 Sector EJ-T b19-0 | 7B ## Very V Strong
LTD2 Col 285 Sector RU-E c12-23 | 6A ## Very Very Strong
LTD2 Col 285 Sector BX-G b25-1 | B8B ## Very Very Strong

I have engineering for FSDs and only managed to fully do one drive because it requires so much stuff to do it. I tried to engineer miniguns after I finally found sulphur, and I was shot down when I tried out the upgraded guns. They seemed to be worse rather than better, and getting shot down is always so costly it's no fun, letting aside that I don't like dieing (especially as we don't have escape pods anymore ...).

How did you get all the collector limpets to work? I tried to use two controllers and found it doesn't really work because each one needs its own fire button. Since there are only two fire buttons, I ended up with too many fire groups and lots of switching and it didn't take long before I was tired of all the switching and used only one controller and sold the other one when I was back. The limpets expire all the time anyway, and when there are subsurface deposits and/or cores to mine, it takes so long that a single limpet is enough.

So I understand that in theory, you can collect stuff faster when you use more limpets --- but in practise, it probably doesn't make much difference other than wasting more limpets or not using them because there are not so many fragments to collect or there is plenty of time to collect them or because the asteroids that can be mined are so far and few in between that the limpets expire between asteroids, and you spend more time with programming limpets than with depleting the asteroid.

Other than that, I have mining lasers and a refinery with 10 bins which still gets plugged up too often even some things to ignore.

Without mining lasers, which produce the largest number of fragments, why do you need so many limpets?

With subsurface deposits, I have trouble letting the trigger go at the right moment because the display scrolls at an uneven speed. I guess the hit rate is about 50%, and it's only on spot when I'm lucky. I don't even really know which of the blue bars is relevant, the first one, another one or the bar before the first blue one, or somewhere else.

Is it normal for the drill display to scroll at uneven speeds? If that's so, it will contine to be all random.

How do you get more than 1--3 tons from a subsurface deposit? With the asteroids I've found, there is no way that I could fill 224t from a single asteroid that has 4 subsurface deposits.

And I don't understand the pilot handbook about core mining. It says a weak fissure would need a strong charge and a strong fissure a weak one. I would expect a strong fissure to need a strong charge because it needs more strength to blow something up that is stronger. In any case, I tried both, and it didn't make a difference. When the asteroid is blown up, it has 3 outcroppings, and that's it. That gives maybe 1.5t and that's it.

Thanks for pointing out the hotspots. I'll check them out.

The thing with mining is that you do get better with practice, this is especially so with core mining where you need to learn what core mineable rocks look like when they are lit up by repeated pulses by the scanner this is because the appearance is affected by your graphics set up.

With core fissures I just pick a weak one fire a smallish charge in and see how much the display at top right has changed scaling the next charge down or up depending how near the optimum line the trace has got again it is all practice and I would expect to be fairly wasteful as it has been months and months since I did any core mining.

I have collector limpets on the same triggers as my mining lasers or abrasion blasters (depends on fire group) so don't have to think about programming them.

I tend to mine until I have run out of limpets or filled my hold or about an hour has past then I leave the ring and go to a station to sell.

This would certainly be neither the longest, nor most elaborate troll on these forums, probably not even of this month, much less ever.

That said, this is the Newcomers' Forum, let's assume good faith for now.

The thing that jumps out at me here is the difficulties with the control setup. With the number of bindings ED uses, a poor control scheme can really make the game a perfectly miserable experience. One option would be to make a thread asking for help with that here or in the XBox subforum.

But no, mining is as productive as ever right now. The results OP describes are not typical - the LTD3 systems are full of newish players mining their way to a fleet carrier in a couple of weeks. (I'm not new, but I made a couple billion over a pretty casual weekend last week just to see what all the fuss is about.) I would probably suggest the r/EliteMiners subreddit as a place that has a lot of good resources for new miners.

I started with the default controls and slowly, one at a time, changed it very little to remove as many things from the B button to avoid accidently boosting. Considering the availe buttons, the bindings are not bad at all; there are just not enough buttons. How would you use an ECM or a shield cell, for example? How would you make a key binding to send a docking request? Having to go through the panel to make a docking request, which involves lots of button presses, is totally annoying --- and there isn't even on option to make a key binding for it.

What I have trouble with is remembering which combination does what, with hitting the wrong button, with or without combination, with never knowing which cockpit mode happens to be enabled (since that seems to change somehow automatically into analysis mode all the time for no reason), and having to change fire groups with these button combinations is just very fumbly.

I think it's not a matter of modifying the available key bindings, it is a matter of neither the xbox, nor the hotas, having enough buttons for what is needed. There should not have to be any combinations that involve multiple buttons at once at all.

Maybe I'm still doing something wrong with mining, but I don't know what that might be ...

I am an experienced deep core miner and I have yet to find a asteroid in a tritium hotspot that has core tritium in it. I find some with small amounts of tritium that I can surface mine. Can someone please tell me they have found deep core tritium asteroids?

No you dont.
Seriously

My main is on XB playing with a controller (standard XB1s controller with a chatpad, then eventually i upgraded to an Elite Controller with the same chatpad)
My alt is on PC playing with KB/Mouse.

There is no contest - the controller wins at ergonomics hands down
The default bindings on XB controller are brilliant - they just take time to get used to it and to allow the muscle memory to develop

Yes, I can understand that having two analog joysticks on the xbox controller is way better for Elite than keyboard and mouse (I would use a trackball, though, I hate mice. I tried trackball with similar games and I was wishing I had a joystick instead. For anything else but flying games that require targetting, I'm way better with the trackball than the controller. Even after half a year of practise, I still can't really target an enemy in a shooter with the controller other than that it takes now maybe 5 seconds rather than 10 or so, and I need to stand still to do it. I had to resort to sniping ... But that is besides the point.).

I just want both. Instead of having to press all these button combinations, it would be so much easier for me if I could just press a button on the keyboard without even having to think about it and without hitting the wrong button.

BTW, I couldn't get headlook mode to work with the hotas. I tried to put it on different buttons and just nothing happens. It's like headlook mode is disabled with the hotas.

There is nothing wrong with the yields. The triple hotspot in the COL sector mines is so abundant, you can fill a 140 ton Python in about 30 minutes with LTD's. But you need to know what you're doing and have a plan. The plan being what mining method you want to use: laser, sub-surface, core or a combination. Each requires its own specific equipment.

You need to use prospectors as they improve the yield from a rock. You need to mine the various deposits with the correct tools and you need to fully understand the road to maximum yields. Just shooting charges at fissures will pop the rock but there's an optimum number of charges that will lead to the best yield.

You need to stock up on limpets because (1) they expire over time, (2) they're fragile and easily pop and (3) they are used as prospectors and can't be recovered once fired.

If you go for LTD, no need to bring a massive refinery. Take the one with the lowest bin count and add deposits you're not interested in to the ignore filter. Your refinery will never be blocked again.

If you go for the triple hotspot, make sure you drop in the sweet spot where all spots overlap (assuming there is one). It's important. If you're just using a single hotspot make sure you drop off in or very near the centre. Have a plan when you prospect so you do not prospect the same rocks over and over again. I generally fly towards the planet.

As for the control mappings you mention: a good working control mapping is a lovely thing to have. It takes time to make one and you need time to build muscle memory. Just take the default one and bit by bit adapt as you become more proficient. Sadly, it all takes time.

Good luck. Don't forget your limpets.

The thing with mining is that you do get better with practice, this is especially so with core mining where you need to learn what core mineable rocks look like when they are lit up by repeated pulses by the scanner this is because the appearance is affected by your graphics set up.

With core fissures I just pick a weak one fire a smallish charge in and see how much the display at top right has changed scaling the next charge down or up depending how near the optimum line the trace has got again it is all practice and I would expect to be fairly wasteful as it has been months and months since I did any core mining.

I have collector limpets on the same triggers as my mining lasers or abrasion blasters (depends on fire group) so don't have to think about programming them.

I tend to mine until I have run out of limpets or filled my hold or about an hour has past then I leave the ring and go to a station to sell.

Yes, I was also going around to find out if all hotspots do not have the resource they are supposed to have --- and yes, they don't have it --- and to try out things and, if possible, to keep my losses minimal. I got a little better, but when there isn't anything worthwhile to mine and when the facts keep telling you that there is nothing to gain from it and more to loose, there is no point in doing it.

Oh I need to pay attention to the display on the right then. I was too busy with hitting the fissures at all and in time to even look at that. I was wondering if I should use turrets in hopes to hit better with the blaster, the drill and the charges ...

Do you just put all the collectors on the same button as the mining beams and the blaster? I haven't of thought of doing that, and it seems somewhat wasteful.

At the current rate, to run out of limpets would take maybe 10 hours if I take a full load, and don't see how I could ever fill up with stuff I mined. I'd run out of limpets long before that.

There is nothing wrong with the yields. The triple hotspot in the COL sector mines is so abundant, you can fill a 140 ton Python in about 30 minutes with LTD's. But you need to know what you're doing and have a plan. The plan being what mining method you want to use: laser, sub-surface, core or a combination. Each requires its own specific equipment.

You need to use prospectors as they improve the yield from a rock. You need to mine the various deposits with the correct tools and you need to fully understand the road to maximum yields. Just shooting charges at fissures will pop the rock but there's an optimum number of charges that will lead to the best yield.

You need to stock up on limpets because (1) they expire over time, (2) they're fragile and easily pop and (3) they are used as prospectors and can't be recovered once fired.

If you go for LTD, no need to bring a massive refinery. Take the one with the lowest bin count and add deposits you're not interested in to the ignore filter. Your refinery will never be blocked again.

If you go for the triple hotspot, make sure you drop in the sweet spot where all spots overlap (assuming there is one). It's important. If you're just using a single hotspot make sure you drop off in or very near the centre. Have a plan when you prospect so you do not prospect the same rocks over and over again. I generally fly towards the planet.

As for the control mappings you mention: a good working control mapping is a lovely thing to have. It takes time to make one and you need time to build muscle memory. Just take the default one and bit by bit adapt as you become more proficient. Sadly, it all takes time.

Good luck. Don't forget your limpets.

I don't remember finding any asteroids with TLD cores when I was mining the COL sector. The ones that had subsurface deposits had other things in them no LTDs. I've been there three times and gave up because the place is so unreachable, selling prices went down and I don't know if the place is still there after the last update which apparently was supposed to "fix" it. There were no cores and no subsurface deposits to mine, so I only carried mining lasers. The best yield was at some place 300Mm away from the closest hotspot in that the asteroids had unusually high percentages of LTDs that could even reach 50% for a few.

How do you know how many charges and into which fissures you need to fire?

When I was there, I didn't know how to ignore fragments. It's an option I would have never found if someone hadn't told me where it is. There's only some information that some limpets can ignore stuff, and the effect was that I eventually found out that a limpet expires after fetching when you program it while you have a fetchable target set, so that's the ignore option I found. I even looked at the modules to see if there is some option to ignore stuff, and there wasn't any. It would make sense to have only one limpet controller that can program limpets for different tasks and to make settings for it in the module settings. It does not make any sense at all that you need to look at the Contacts panel to have limpets ignore stuff. I only go to that panel to send a docking request that would much better be send through a key binding, and I'm not sending docking requests while mining. Things like that need to be in the pilot handbook and/or in the description of the equipment.

Do you have a good working control mapping that allows you to use ECMs and shield cells and to send docking requests without going through the panel and to select a particular fire group and the corresponding cockpit mode with the press of a single button? The only way I could have that is with a keybord, or some other input device that has ever so many buttons.

As well as all the helpful mining suggestions above I think it is possible to come upon a dud mining hotspot or hotspots. I went to a particular system where the planet rings had about 10 different hotspots. I went flying around to a couple of them but couldn't find anything that was described as the name of the hotspot. Then I went to a different ringed planet in the same system which had 1 single hotspot. It had heaps and heaps of minerals of that type. I don't know if this is a pattern / bug or just a fluke. My suspicion is the different multi-hotspots might get mixed up sometimes.

Yes, I was also going around to find out if all hotspots do not have the resource they are supposed to have --- and yes, they don't have it --- and to try out things and, if possible, to keep my losses minimal. I got a little better, but when there isn't anything worthwhile to mine and when the facts keep telling you that there is nothing to gain from it and more to loose, there is no point in doing it.

Oh I need to pay attention to the display on the right then. I was too busy with hitting the fissures at all and in time to even look at that. I was wondering if I should use turrets in hopes to hit better with the blaster, the drill and the charges ...

Do you just put all the collectors on the same button as the mining beams and the blaster? I haven't of thought of doing that, and it seems somewhat wasteful.

At the current rate, to run out of limpets would take maybe 10 hours if I take a full load, and don't see how I could ever fill up with stuff I mined. I'd run out of limpets long before that.
Turreted mining tools can only be steered by someone joining your ship as a gunner in multi crew if you aren’t doing that fixed are much better.

You can’t fire more collector limpets than your controller can handle so they stop firing when that limit is reached so the technique isn’t wasteful and reduces the number of firing groups you have to switch through.

The displays for the seismic charge and subsurface missile are pretty critical for getting good results. See the video in this post to see seismic charges being placed and the optimum level on the display.

When starting out mining anything is good practise to help improve your skills and as long as you don’t let the pirates destroy your ship it is all profitable, earning insane sums per trip will come once you have the skills but don’t force yourself if you aren’t enjoying it after all there is plenty of time to acquire credits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom