Ships Why are so many still using the AspX and not the Phantom?

I understand the cost difference being a small part of it but with mining being so easy and profitable I don't understand why people don't ditch the AspX for the Phantom as soon as possible. Out of curiosity I did a maximum jump range build on both ships and not only does the Phantom have far more optional slots and flexibility but it's ekes out 1ly more jump range than the AspX. So why hasn't everyone made the switch yet?

Phantom max jump range

AspX max jump range

I've got both on my FC in Beta, I just took out the AspX in preference to my Phantom...
I feel that the AspX is just a bit more manoeuvrable when I'm exploring a new system...
The AspX has a 1 light year greater range, compared with the Phantom (which does have an autorepair module).

It may just be more familiarity with the AspX, though I'm sure that the purchase cost is also a factor

I understand the cost difference being a small part of it but with mining being so easy and profitable I don't understand why people don't ditch the AspX for the Phantom as soon as possible. Out of curiosity I did a maximum jump range build on both ships and not only does the Phantom have far more optional slots and flexibility but it's ekes out 1ly more jump range than the AspX. So why hasn't everyone made the switch yet?

Phantom max jump range

AspX max jump range

In my case i prefer the AspX because:
  • it has noticeable better Supercruise Maneuverability
  • way better cockpit view

These are quite important in Exploration

Phantom has:
  • slightly better jump range
  • way better internals (4g srv hangar, better shields)
  • way better reverse thrusters

So, as i said - having 1-2 ly more jump range, +1 srv and better shields, does not compensate for maneuverability and cockpit view. In my case that is.
AspX does need a little bit more consciousness near planetary surfaces due to really crappy reverse thrusters (weak brakes so to say) and lesser shields.

590 in an exploration ship, that's so cute :D

45LY range is 1.5x the range of my Asp pre-engineers, plenty for 99.999% of the galaxy and believe me you feel that speed, it's like putting a Mustang engine in a Mini.
I raise you, a Courier.
I used to use this all the time on xbox. I still need to build another one on PC.

I raise you, a Courier.
I used to use this all the time on xbox. I still need to build another one on PC.

Mine only does 812 but it does have two SRV bays. I'm hard on SRVs. 😁

(Edit - I have no idea why that's saved with a grade 3 shielded AFMU lol, I must have derped out at some point because I don't own one of those at all, let alone on that ship.)

I've done exploration in a Conda, a Mamba, a DBX, a Phantom and an AspX. I still prefer the Mamba in many cases, simply because it's such a smooth ride, and because that cockpit is a nice place to be in VR. The AspX would be me second choice for roughly the same reasons. The undisturbed field of view in VR doesn't come better than in the AspX. In the Mamba you need to roll to see what's below, but in the directions I mostly look while exploring (forwards and up), the Mamba canopy is more than fine, and not sitting in a greenhouse can also have it's charm, like in the cockpit of the Python, which I find exceptionally snug compared to all other ships I've flown.

I also think the way an exploration ship scoops is important when travelling. I usually go somewhere to see something. I don't scan everything on the way. The AspX runs cooler when scooping than the Phantom it seems to me, meaning I can start charging the FSD slightly earlier in the AspX than in the Phantom. It's not much but it's noticeable.

Finally, even though the Phantom is an excellent spaceship, it makes me feel slightly like driving one of these:

images.jpg

Asp x was my first explorer long before engineering. When that came along even better. After engineering and guardian tech came to be I built a phantom
to explore and it's never left the hangar.
Clipper is my explorer of choice.
Asp and phantom collect dust. I won't even consider herding a conda thru space.

Much better cockpit view, especially when you are using head-/eyetracking or VR. Kraits are like flying with horse blinders on. And seriously: your "max jump range" builds are with overcharged 5 power plants? My priorities in exploring are so very different from achieving max jump range at the cost of everything else and that is why my exploration ships are also different from trying to get the max jump range at the cost of everything else.
My personal choice is my Orca for exploring. Something like this: https://s.orbis.zone/6wig 58 LY jump "only", but perfect heat mechanics, 1k shields, 1k hull, 630 m/s boost or something like this https://s.orbis.zone/6wil if I want to push a bit more jump range (63LY) at the cost of some of the good stuff that makes flying enjoyable without totally crimping the ship. The first link is more or less the ship I last flew to Beagle Point and back so it has been totally tested and its a nice explorer (more geared towards expeditions though with other commanders around: that is why it has more speed and shields. There is nothing more frustrating that flying 100k LY and then getting accidentally or intentionally rammed/shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom