Why do people ‘explore’?

I’ve never done any exploration, so curious as to what the appeal is. I commonly read posts from people who travel 1,000s ly from the bubble etc. But what do you find? Is it still just the odd geographical site/geysers etc or are there genuinely unique things to discover? I see lots of ‘pretty picture’ screenshots but I’ve really never got why someone would play a game just to look at a pretty image (I can use a telescope to view things in space that are actually real). It seems to be the main appeal of this game (or what it does best) and I’ve never engaged in it, so looking for a reason to do it, or not.
People explore for lots of different reasons. Some it's strange planetary configurations, sometimes it's amazing and bizarre geographic formations, sometimes it's looking for never before found POIs. Sometimes it's a mixture of all of them.

Because you can't rank up exploration without exploring. because there's no point in 400 billion star systems unless people will explore. because there isn't enough room in stations for everybody to just hang out in the same 15 or 20 star systems. Because with the ability to travel why stay still? Because they want to. Because, to boldly go where no man has gone before. Excetera excetera

People explore for lots of different reasons. Some it's strange planetary configurations, sometimes it's amazing and bizarre geographic formations, sometimes it's looking for never before found POIs. Sometimes it's a mixture of all of them.
Apologies if my question was a little unclear - what I mean is there anything actually unique? It feels like anything you find can be found within a hundred ly squared. If everything is driven by a procedure, then 1,000 ly away is just the same as 5ly away. I’ve never heard of anything genuinely unique being discovered, just the same POIs (whether you’re the first to find that identical POI or not) and planets that are everywhere. It just seems like endless repetition to me, but if there’s more to it I would like to know.

No theres things out there that arent in the inhabited bubble. Like various nebulae among other thing that may be found in said nebulae, guardian sites, thargoid sites, crazy looking life forms floating about ( not just the plumbus gourds either), theres 400 billion systems, only .0037% has been explored. That means there could be things no one here could even tell you about because it would take 180 years to actually explore the whole galaxy

I’ve never heard of anything genuinely unique being discovered, just the same POIs (whether you’re the first to find that identical POI or not) and planets that are everywhere. It just seems like endless repetition to me, but if there’s more to it I would like to know.

well there was that Colony Ship that actually had its crew a few weeks back, there's the Guardian tech, Raxxla (we're told) is still out there...

Because every star I can see in the night sky I can visit in the game. Because you can find interesting systems, with amazing views. Because it's relaxing. Because the view changes as you move around the galaxy going above/below the galactic plane and close/far from the center. Not every aspect of a game has to be for you. I've been playing since release and I'm only Novice in Combat rank.

Sure you can view things in space, with a telescope, that are real, but that relies on you having a telescope, access to dark skies ideally, a clear night...

Besides, you never truly know what you might find.
I suppose the operative word in this is ‘interesting’. I’ve found a couple of POIs that we’re moderately interesting for about 3 minutes. But ultimately they were just slightly banal little features on dead rocks. I’m not convinced finding them 1,000ly from my home station would have been any more interesting than finding them 10ly from my home station though. I think the answers have been sufficient. Still not enough that’s unique anywhere worth me exploring for at this stage. If you enjoy it though, go for it. We all have our thing.

Is it still just the odd geographical site/geysers etc or are there genuinely unique things to discover?
In terms of intentional stuff ... there are quite a few types of biological sites (surface and space) which only appear over 1000 LY from the bubble, and sometimes only quite a bit further away than that. Obviously there's only one Sagittarius A* super-massive black hole. There aren't that many nebulae within 1000 LY of the bubble, and some of the best (and biggest) are a lot further out.

There are also things which the procedural generation throws up which can be extremely spectacular ... but extremely rare, and if there were any within 1000 LY they'd have been found by now. My favourite example of this is the World of Death - a landable planet that passes through the jet cone of a white dwarf (sounds like a glitch, but a similar real planet was discovered fairly recently) - so far the only known example is over 20,000 LY from the bubble, though there may be some closer that have yet to be found. Slightly more common than that, but not by a lot, are the Green Gas Giants - gas giants with glowing green patches. Some are greener than others. Someone found a star system with six planetary bodies in a barycentric cluster - anything over three is rare. There may well be other strange things of that sort that are yet to be found.

Colonia has quite a few unique things ... most people don't consider visiting populated space as exploration as such, but you might as well explore on the way.

And, well, in theory somewhere out there is Raxxla, which is very definitely unique ... but will likely stay undiscovered for a long time yet.

I try to relive that feeling I had when reading all those Sci-Fi books, or watching movies, when I was a kid.
Spaceship on a long voyage in deep space. Long way from home in uncharted void.
This.
I'm still looking for Moties.
I know they're not in the game, but sometimes I still go look.

Actual exploring, not so much. More of a sight seer, having a look at interesting things that other people find.

Apologies if my question was a little unclear - what I mean is there anything actually unique? It feels like anything you find can be found within a hundred ly squared. If everything is driven by a procedure, then 1,000 ly away is just the same as 5ly away. I’ve never heard of anything genuinely unique being discovered, just the same POIs (whether you’re the first to find that identical POI or not) and planets that are everywhere. It just seems like endless repetition to me, but if there’s more to it I would like to know.
Every system and every planet is unique. It's not all about POIs.

I could post screen shots of multiple planets from multiple system that would argue against how unique every planet is. But that would probably distract from that i agree exploration is an important part of the experience.

In real life, I spend most of my time at home, at work, or shuttling between them. But sometimes I want to go somewhere else.

The galaxy is enormous, and the Bubble is small. And full of rival factions fighting like ferrets in a sack. After I've been pootling about in the Bubble for awhile, I want to get out, get away from it all, at least for awhile.

And of course we get to leave our mark on the galaxy, a more lasting and personal achievement than helping one gang of people gain a temporary advantage over another gang of people somewhere.

I’ve never done any exploration, so curious as to what the appeal is. I commonly read posts from people who travel 1,000s ly from the bubble etc. But what do you find? Is it still just the odd geographical site/geysers etc or are there genuinely unique things to discover? I see lots of ‘pretty picture’ screenshots but I’ve really never got why someone would play a game just to look at a pretty image (I can use a telescope to view things in space that are actually real). It seems to be the main appeal of this game (or what it does best) and I’ve never engaged in it, so looking for a reason to do it, or not.

Now and then its good to get out of the house, go for a walk, see the sights and even meet people. (y)

I'm not an explorer but I have an elite rank in exploration. You can get the rankings without actually adopting the role.

There are some cool things out there, and you can be first discoverer of systems. AFAIK you'll always be the 1st discoverer of that system once you turn in the data, but I read recently some 1st discoverers had their data wiped. That would suck.

The galaxy is huge. Why restrict yourself to populated space?

Top Bottom