Why do people love Sandbox mode?

This is one thing I have never understood. To me I find sandbox mode boring. I like the idea of starting of a park/zoo/city with some money and trying to make it the best I can. I never have found enjoyment in getting everything handed to me. What is the appeal of it?

I think you are mistaken in the type of sandbox people are talking about.

As it stands, the game is a progressional. You can't unlock everything on one island. There are missions you have to do for content. Map sizes are limited based on island. They don't have day night cycles.

People aren't talking about unlimited money and everything unlocked. We just want a huge island at the end of the game where we can start fresh without missions and unlock everything on the one island.

creativity is the draw for me. Sometimes i just want to create somthing without limits to see what i come up with.

That said, its something i usaly play after some hours of normal "Earning my own money" mode. After thinking, planing and desparition, it feels good to just create something without limits (the same reason i started to mod games as a teenaager, wanted to play as batman in Unreal Tournament make him and put him in).

But yeah, sandbox for me is a great way to just build and try new stuff, love it in Planet Coaster, get bored out of my mind in Cities Skylines, so its a case by case basis on if i like SandBox modes or not.

creativity is the draw for me. Sometimes i just want to create somthing without limits to see what i come up with.

That said, its something i usaly play after some hours of normal "Earning my own money" mode. After thinking, planing and desparition, it feels good to just create something without limits (the same reason i started to mod games as a teenaager, wanted to play as batman in Unreal Tournament make him and put him in).

But yeah, sandbox for me is a great way to just build and try new stuff, love it in Planet Coaster, get bored out of my mind in Cities Skylines, so its a case by case basis on if i like SandBox modes or not.

I tried it in Zoo tycoon 2 and hated it, I love the creativity aspect, but I like the challenge as well to have the restrictions of how much I can do.

never played Zoo Tycoon 2, but the mode gotha "fit the game", if the game got little to no customizion, then its pretty useless. In PlanetCoaster i enjoy more the challenge of keeping customers happy, create popular RollerCoasters and creating the most aestic pleasing park, so in that game "earn money" is the least intresting aspect, even tho it creates some intresting sollutions when you need em.

But thats becouse of the amount off stuff you can do with the park and how you build. In games like Cities Skylines and rollercoaster Tycoon, it getts boring, since nothing matters other then the money. Since its little you can do to realy create something your own, or somthing that sticks out. Its just standard assets you place in smart places to maximase profit. Aaaaaaand from what i suspect from what ive seen and read about this game, it might be in the Cities Skyline box, that making the park earn money and not getting visitors eaten is the main focus, so Sandbox in this game arent that important to me. not expecting large enough islands to build on or enough variation in buildings for sandbox (as practice or creative building) to be necasarry.

The appeal for sandbox mode for me is to have a Site-B like island where the dinosaurs roam free. No buildings other than hatcheries, no fences, just wild and open ecosystem for dinosaurs to interact naturally.

Easy, so I can create the world as I want it and simulate it's destruction afterwards. I don't want to go through boring missions and such which waste my time and limit my ideas...

I personally aren't that interested in an unlimited mode. I just want an island where I start off with nothing, little money and build it up from there without having to perform tasks and missions.

I get the impression that that's what most people want ACCOMPANYING an unlimited mode for people who just love the creative aspect of these sorts of games.

Why is this even a question? Lol

Missions are great, but sandbox mode is the norm for this genre of game. It allows the gamer to basically do whatever they would like on a blank slate - unlimited funds or everything unlocked, or not. I'm not opposed to having a sandbox mode that gradually unlocks more options as you play through the missions. I just want the ability to play on a clean slate and do whatever I'd like without having to follow the missions. Preferably on a large island/map.

Im not sure about what you're thinking, but what people really want is just start fresh with no narration and do what you want. This includes unlocking all the trees.

Just like we had in jurassic park operation genesis.

Maybe this will help:

amEd0kt.jpg

Freedom. Same as why games like GTA are popular.. the freedom to do whatever you want and don't need to follow the storyline if you don't want to at the moment.

People aren't talking about unlimited money and everything unlocked. We just want a huge island at the end of the game where we can start fresh without missions and unlock everything on the one island.

Not true. Please don‘t assume everybody wants the same as you. While I also want what you‘re describing I also want an unlimited money mode where I can just do whatever I want. And I‘m not the only one from what I‘ve seen so far.

Not true. Please don‘t assume everybody wants the same as you. While I also want what you‘re describing I also want an unlimited money mode where I can just do whatever I want. And I‘m not the only one from what I‘ve seen so far.

I'm contrary to this. A JPOG player, I find Site B quite boring (OK for a few minutes' dino spotting but quite dull really). To me sandbox more means control of the entire island start to finish (Operation Genesis mode) but including the money (otherwise it's not 'a Jurassic Park', it's a Site B). So in JWE this probably means the chance to place your own park entrance where you want and the chance to advance all the sciences, entertainment/science/security simultaneously. Money no object mode, isn't very appealing to me though.

Obviously I'm also looking for a challenge. So an unlimited money mode won't be my first thing I'll play. But for the sake of variety in the game I also want an unlimited mode. Because sometimes I don't want to have a challenge, I just want to go crazy and build a huge park where I don't have to watch my funds but let my imagination run wild.

An open sandbox mode allows us to try new things without fear of consequence.
For example, I use unlimited money sandbox mode for Planet Coaster to design my coasters, my rides and themes etc. Then I save those creations and use them in my main game.
I would do the same in JWE. I would create various pens with mixed dino's and see what happens. Find out which dino's work well together, which don't. I'd then apply my findings to the main game.
I use it as a type of "R&D" center. :D

It's just a simple combination, and there's no reason they can't do all three:

We have the whole story mode thing - that's done
A lot of people would like to then start with each island being blank and you have all the constraints of the story mode, just without the narration and the mission structures
A lot of people then want to start each island being blank and also have unlimited funds and everything unlocked so they can just build what they want

In honesty I don't think it's overly difficult to do these two sandbox modes because they would essentially need to strip back what they've already built. All the islands must have a base blank template asset in the game so load that up, don't put the build boundaries as tight as they are, then also have a tick box next to each island that indicates whether you want unlimited mode or not

And as with these kind of things in gaming, if that doesn't appeal to you then you don't need to play it. We already have the game to a degree where you don't actually have to follow the story mode/missions etc to progress the game (turning those notifications off might be handy though) so you can choose to follow it or not

(NB: I say it's not overly difficult - I'm obviously not a game dev and so I'm just an entitled and assuming gamer, but I believe if Frontier have the skills to pull off these dinos that we're seeing then they can easily slap a sandbox mode in, probably just by using telekinesis at this point)

Sandbox mode definitely gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, defining what you 'want' from sandbox is up to you. Personally I play the game properly before jumping on sandbox, I use to love Site B. Try and create a self-sustaining eco-system or nature reserve. Because lets face it, these things are very difficult to do in the beginning of normal mode and are more end game creations. Which is why Sandbox is suitable really for those who just want to creative freedom without financial limitations.

Sandbox needs to be in the game, and a randomizer map would be awesome. Imagine several small/medium islands, and you have to build a monorail or ships, to let the guest travel around the park.

Top Bottom