Why do people love Sandbox mode?

It's just a simple combination, and there's no reason they can't do all three:

We have the whole story mode thing - that's done
A lot of people would like to then start with each island being blank and you have all the constraints of the story mode, just without the narration and the mission structures
A lot of people then want to start each island being blank and also have unlimited funds and everything unlocked so they can just build what they want

In honesty I don't think it's overly difficult to do these two sandbox modes because they would essentially need to strip back what they've already built. All the islands must have a base blank template asset in the game so load that up, don't put the build boundaries as tight as they are, then also have a tick box next to each island that indicates whether you want unlimited mode or not

And as with these kind of things in gaming, if that doesn't appeal to you then you don't need to play it. We already have the game to a degree where you don't actually have to follow the story mode/missions etc to progress the game (turning those notifications off might be handy though) so you can choose to follow it or not

(NB: I say it's not overly difficult - I'm obviously not a game dev and so I'm just an entitled and assuming gamer, but I believe if Frontier have the skills to pull off these dinos that we're seeing then they can easily slap a sandbox mode in, probably just by using telekinesis at this point)

Really well said.

I only ever really went on Site B in JPOG if I wanted to chill out and do literally nothing but watch dinosaurs roam around. It'd be nice to do the same in Evo but it's not too essential for me.

My main hpe is that there's a managerial sandbox mode, where you can just build a park without having to fulfill contracts or have your branch's story play out.

It's just a simple combination, and there's no reason they can't do all three:

We have the whole story mode thing - that's done
A lot of people would like to then start with each island being blank and you have all the constraints of the story mode, just without the narration and the mission structures
A lot of people then want to start each island being blank and also have unlimited funds and everything unlocked so they can just build what they want

In honesty I don't think it's overly difficult to do these two sandbox modes because they would essentially need to strip back what they've already built. All the islands must have a base blank template asset in the game so load that up, don't put the build boundaries as tight as they are, then also have a tick box next to each island that indicates whether you want unlimited mode or not

And as with these kind of things in gaming, if that doesn't appeal to you then you don't need to play it. We already have the game to a degree where you don't actually have to follow the story mode/missions etc to progress the game (turning those notifications off might be handy though) so you can choose to follow it or not

(NB: I say it's not overly difficult - I'm obviously not a game dev and so I'm just an entitled and assuming gamer, but I believe if Frontier have the skills to pull off these dinos that we're seeing then they can easily slap a sandbox mode in, probably just by using telekinesis at this point)

Yep, this basically sums it up. Especially for the first point, I don't believe most people requesting a sandbox want just a 'god mode' where everything is free and instant, though that would also be a welcome addition, but more an open ended park management mode with the same challenging game play and progression but without the restraints of a particular mission in the campaign, similar to how Prison Architect has it's sandbox mode, requiring research and finance management and so on. And if there were an island/map randomizer for this mode it would be allow for almost endless replayability

Yep, this basically sums it up. Especially for the first point, I don't believe most people requesting a sandbox want just a 'god mode' where everything is free and instant, though that would also be a welcome addition, but more an open ended park management mode with the same challenging game play and progression but without the restraints of a particular mission in the campaign, similar to how Prison Architect has it's sandbox mode, requiring research and finance management and so on. And if there were an island/map randomizer for this mode it would be allow for almost endless replayability

Yeah thats really important. I want to have to build a park from scratch with the DIFFICULTY of starting from scratch. Not just lay down a million different things in five minutes. Although the option to do both is good. If they can make a super complex story mode with the same features, surely they can create two different free play modes

I'm contrary to this. A JPOG player, I find Site B quite boring (OK for a few minutes' dino spotting but quite dull really). To me sandbox more means control of the entire island start to finish (Operation Genesis mode) but including the money (otherwise it's not 'a Jurassic Park', it's a Site B). So in JWE this probably means the chance to place your own park entrance where you want and the chance to advance all the sciences, entertainment/science/security simultaneously. Money no object mode, isn't very appealing to me though.

This is what I enjoy, but I never consider it sandbox mode. To me (and how people have been reacting) it seems like people want everything open and handed too you for free. I just never understood the appeal of that.

This is what I enjoy, but I never consider it sandbox mode. To me (and how people have been reacting) it seems like people want everything open and handed too you for free. I just never understood the appeal of that.

... I feel like you haven't read a single reply if thats what you think we want.

To be clear, SOME people want that, but the vast majority want just an island to build a park on without having to complete missions. Basically just like JPOG.

I think that is why I could never get into their games or games like The Witcher 3. I like having a structure, not just running around willy nilly doing quests.

And thats fine; we all have our own like and dislikes. I would reconsider playing the witcher 3 though. That game is unbelievably good and has such a strong linear story if thats all you're interested in. You could play nothing but the main story and it would still take ages. Genuinly one of, if not the best game story I've ever played Reconsider it, you wont regret it! :)

This is one thing I have never understood. To me I find sandbox mode boring. I like the idea of starting of a park/zoo/city with some money and trying to make it the best I can. I never have found enjoyment in getting everything handed to me. What is the appeal of it?

Sandbox mode is not getting stuff for free or getting rid of constraints.

Sandbox mode is actually the default mode on any city builder / base builder / management sim.

On Tropico series for instance, sandbox mode is having an island to build from scratch, but with the same money / popularity / rating / etc constraints that you need to deal with. On the other hand, the "story mode" restricts your gameplay with scripted events and rigid objectives, like "build 6 coffee farms" or "export 6000 bananas".

I don't want to build 6 coffee farms just for the sake of it, or to tick some objectives box. I want to build coffee farms if I plan to build coffee factories because I decided to try to export coffee.

This is why I always play in sandbox mode on any building/management sim. Not to get rid of the constraints or management challenges , but to get rid of "story driven" rigid events objectives.

Last edited:
Sandbox mode is not getting stuff for free or getting rid of constraints.

Sandbox mode is actually the default mode on any city builder / base builder / management sim.

On Tropico series for instance, sandbox mode is having an island to build from scratch, but with the same money / popularity / rating / etc constraints that you need to deal with. On the other hand, the "story mode" restricts your gameplay with scripted events and rigid objectives, like "build 6 coffee farms" or "export 6000 bananas".

I don't want to build 6 coffee farms just for the sake of it, or to tick some objectives box. I want to build coffee farms if I plan to build coffee factories because I decided to try to export coffee.

This is why I always play in sandbox mode on any building/management sim. Not to get rid of the constraints or management challenges , but to get rid of "story driven" rigid events objectives.

This is so important and needs to be emphasised.

This is so important and needs to be emphasised.

I'm going to throw a possible spanner in the works here then .. do you HAVE to fulfil the missions in order to advance your park to 3 stars and unlock the next etc etc.? I'm not 100% sure you do ..

It was either BestInSlot (who redid his gamplay session with Nick Rogers also commentating) or maybe even the official game walkthrough .. but I have a feeling that while you can earn money faster with the missions they're not 100% 'compulsory'. Somebody spot me maybe? I'll try to remember why I'm thinking that in the back of my head.

but I have a feeling that while you can earn money faster with the missions they're not 100% 'compulsory'. Somebody spot me maybe? I'll try to remember why I'm thinking that in the back of my head.

As far as I remember it was said you need a 3 star rating on the 1st to get to the 2nd, then that goes on and eventually 25 stars to unlock Nublar. But today I watched an interview of 4 days ago where it was said that you can as well decline missions and still can improve your park rating.

Top Bottom