Game Discussions Why doesn't Odyssey have Oceans and Clouds?

It was certainly your implication.

Regardless, we'll see what they end up offering at what price, and how well executed it is. At that point most of us will make the decision we feel is appropriate.

Like Horizons, it's likely to have a little something for everyone. I'm not looking for an FPS type game, and tenuous atmosphere bodies are of limited appeal other than simply being more stuff that can be landed on, but any faction assets (bases, ports) on those newly accessible planets will be of interest to me, Id have it for that alone.

Hopefully you will find something you like too.

Because they worked on space legs, and added some visual improvements to planets and called it "atmospheric" to try to please the atmos people.

It's just some extra graphics for the same planets we have now (functionally - yes, I know there will be more planets to land on...)

Kinda sad - but the space legs part should be alright, and there's nothing wrong with graphics updates.

That is how I see it too.
I do hope they soon add bodies of fluids. And I would love to see vast planes with primitive flora etc. like grasses, mosses and lichen.
I want to put my ship down in a grassy tundra and stand at the edge of a huge ocean (water, or some other fluid).
Just imagine huge planetary base complexes on water planets, akin to offshore oil platforms.

has a person who does 3d rendering it is a whole lot hard to get a water mesh working right. the meshes themselves would be over Quads that means there (1 big square poly that is then spilt many many many times over) and the shaders would of course be layered to make a movement. then you have to do it for all planets!. ask any pro 3d renderer about making the ocean and you get a long list of why they don't fancy doing it.has you then have to animate it. using the x/y/z axis that would make it Time consuming on the engine and your machine.
Steve jobs said, "are you happy with your job here".

Rendering oceans may be easy, but generating planets with global features, erosion and rivers is no easy task. I suppose having truly alien worlds brings its own issues. Not sure what the ambition level would be though.

Volumetric clouds in FS2020 is nothing short of magic, but generating a realistic planet scale weather with clouds is something I don’t know if any other game has pulled off successfully. Rendering volumetric clouds is a different challenge with many good examples in different games.

I don’t think we should expect anything groundbreaking from FDev in terms of technology on these, but would love to be proven wrong. Tech shown for Odyssey is still impressive though.
cryengine 3 does a pretty good job of volumetics clouds but that is not only 1 Slice of the size of Elite size. people here think that open massive play is just like playing A single player Game.it doesn't work like that.

Depends on the temperature too

I don't remember enough about sublimation to say liquids (other than lava/magma) couldn't exist in pools, I guess there will be rare conditions where they can. But my interpretation of FDev's 'tenuous atmospheres' criteria means no liquids (or weather) in this update, or not on the 'tenuous atmospheres' ones at least based on what has been revealed so far.

I don't remember enough about sublimation to say liquids (other than lava/magma) couldn't exist in pools, I guess there will be rare conditions where they can. But my interpretation of FDev's 'tenuous atmospheres' criteria means no liquids (or weather) in this update, or not on the 'tenuous atmospheres' ones at least based on what has been revealed so far.
I believe so too. I mean the fact that they chose tenuous atmosphere is mainly to avoid weather and liquids interaction

Top Bottom