Why is Triton permit locked and not the Moon?

We can't land on both for whatever reason (huge cities, handcrafted contents and so on), but Triton's got a coherent configuration because it is permit-locked.
The Moon instead has no in-game explanation why it's not accessible. So I wonder why it's not permit-locked too.

I would be very curious to know the reason, the lore and the plans for these two moons.

Why aren't you just allowed to fly through military no-fly zones?
Same thing here. Triton probably has sensitive installments on it.
That's what I said too, you can't go there for whatever reason. But what's the official statement for the moon?
Where have you found that Triton is a military planet? As far as I know it is controlled by Mother Gaia which is just a standard minor faction.

I can only presume there are some plans for Triton in the future. You couldn't land on it now anyway because it's got an atmosphere. As for the Moon, it'll be as you say, having to hand-craft it (at least at some level), so probably no in-game reason but just one of those things that we have to accept is there for game, not universe, reasons.

My guess is Triton is probably an exclusive bonus area for certain people at Frontier, kind of like other game studios give exclusive items or skins for devs only or how Bethesda games have a 'dev room'.

The Moon on the other hand is somewhere that needs to be historically accurate and procedural terrain generation probably wouldn't do it justice.

My guess is Triton is probably an exclusive bonus area for certain people at Frontier, kind of like other game studios give exclusive items or skins for devs only or how Bethesda games have a 'dev room'.

The Moon on the other hand is somewhere that needs to be historically accurate and procedural terrain generation probably wouldn't do it justice.
With the Moon I think they could get away with handcrafting at a fairly large level and using procedural generation to fill in the rest, perhaps with a bit of manual tweaking for areas like the Apollo landing sites. It's not as if most of us are that familiar with it. But I suppose it could still end up being less recognisable than at present from space if that's done, and of course there's always the question about whether the engine can do that or not.

In the mytical future of atmospheric landings on life-bearing planets are we going to get Earth? Hard to see how they're going to be able to pull that one off convincingly. I'll be interested enough in seeing how they manage it on other heavily-populated worlds - most likely it'll just never happen.

That's what I said too, you can't go there for whatever reason. But what's the official statement for the moon?
Where have you found that Triton is a military planet? As far as I know it is controlled by Mother Gaia which is just a standard minor faction.

White Sands, Nevada was just a standard little town, until it became a military nuclear test site.

Rosewell, New Mexico was also a standard town, until it became the birthplace of military stealth aircraft technology.

That’s kind of how secret military projects work - plain clothes people, doing plain clothes jobs in plain, ordinary places. No big neon signs that read “Super Secret Military Installation”.

giphy.gif

Also, the moon is probably colonised to an advanced stage. It may as well be Earthlike in terms of population (if not atmosphere).

We can land on the moon, We're just all choosing not to do so at the moment. Just like we can land on Earth, but we're all choosing not to do so.

Triton, on the other hand, is permit-locked. We don't know why. Nor do we know if we're "supposed to" know why - that is, whether people in 3305 with a good general knowledge of Sol system would know that Triton is off-limits because of {reasons} and you need a permit to go there, or if it's a "secret permit" you only find out about once you're in the pilot's chair of a spaceship and our pilot characters would be as much in the dark about the nature and reasons for the permit as we players are.

"All these worlds are yours, except Triton. Attempt no landings there.

Or the Moon, actually. We definitely don't want anyone landing on the Moon."

;)

Maybe the Moon is off limits as a historical monument, to preserve it forever. ;) ;)

Just in case anyone doesn't know the actual quote is:

“ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA.
ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE.
USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE.”

Precisely because I'd devoured those books years ago, the very first thing I did when I got the Sol permit was go and land at the Europa geysers. I was quite disappointed that nothing out of the ordinary happened :)

In Old Lore (i.e. in the Frontier:Elite II prequel game) the Moon is extensively industrialized, but has only one major starport named Apollonius City - which is presumably situated in or near Apollonius Crater.

Further Old Lore, from the FE2 Gazetteer, states that Apollonius City was the "first city to be built on an airless surface" and is mostly subterranean; the Museum of Humanity situated here houses many artifacts from the days of early spaceflight.

The fate of the Apollo lunar landing sites is not stated. Nor is Triton mentioned in the Old Lore as being someplace special.

At the end of the day, we all know why the moon is locked. The moon... is raxxla.

Also, it's flat. At least that's what cmdr Zachary Trump tells me, and he knows best.

Top Bottom