Why Space Legs?

I wonder how long it will take CMDRs frothing at the mouth for space legs, who find themselves having to run for 4 mins to a static NPC to trade, then to another to get a mission, then back to the ship, to start crying out for a simple menu in the ship to be able to quick access all features of the station.
For me, never. This would be my ultimate out come.

I wonder how long it will take CMDRs frothing at the mouth for space legs, who find themselves having to run for 4 mins to a static NPC to trade, then to another to get a mission, then back to the ship, to start crying out for a simple menu in the ship to be able to quick access all features of the station.

I hope FD will prove me very wrong, but the X series went a similar way and IMO not for the better.

All I wanted from space legs was space walking to fix the ship, and see the interiors of the ship.

The sheer amount of work they should do on making the piloting game better is being jacked in favour of a mechanic that will just introduce a whole host of new complaints about lack of actual content.

And I feel for the VR players, I do wonder if TrackIR support will even be in there still?
I can't disagree with this post.

BUT ... Star Citizen (ignoring the bugs and flaws) has you having to walk around to do stuff, and their players actually don't mind (as far as I know)

Sorry but when in a standard play session you're spending more time on foot than piloting ships, could SC be qualified as space sim?

And lately I find that they spend more time and money on everything digressive from space and sim, while it still needs an awful lot of work to get to the point where it is effective and consistent.

At least with ED, the space sim aspects are already top notch.

Well this isn't my first rodeo...

Mind you, I've been wrong before. Could be they've really gone and found the holy grail - minimum grind, bug-free and a simply perfect addition to everybody's gameplay.
Oh you're not alone there, I've been wrong so many times and I'll be wrong in the future, there will obviously be bugs and problems, and, if we only step outside once to look our Ship then many will consider it a success (I won't be one of them) but one of the things that the Devs have said (especially DB himself) is, Legs without anything to do is not additional gameplay, so it's not what they want to do, and importantly, those with the basegame should not really be disadvantaged for not having the 'paid' expansions,*

But if you look further down the development road you may well see something else on David Braben's 'YAWL & WILTS' stickit pad... Community Content!
Some might say that CC is not be possible for many reasons, I disagree, but, there's a pile of 'nay sayers' for everything FDev has done, what you must look at is Elite Dangerous is a product that has a decent following but is in a 'niche' market, a market that has some healthy competition... sales are everything so the Hype must generate interest and this hype release/announcement might be a pre-emptive strike against the rising threat in the genre (Starfield?,Star Citizen?, maybe someone got hold of Traveller) or it might be to quell the waters of discontent on the forums before a 'Investors board meeting, I don't know.

*Those that wish to continue being a spaceship have held the game back for long enough, if they don't wanna walk around, then they ain't getting to smell the blood of their kills!

Addendum: For me, First person is a must for Space Legs, having my dude walking his dumb skinny body walk round blocking my view is my biggest NONO, I simply don't entertain the thought of third person, but that's me!

Edit: initially I said 'Starforce'... I meant of course Starfield, sorry (brain slip)

Last edited:
I can't disagree with this post.

BUT ... Star Citizen (ignoring the bugs and flaws) has you having to walk around to do stuff, and their players actually don't mind (as far as I know)

Well SC always had the on foot mechanic in mind, you are the citizen. In Elite you are the ship. This fundamentally changes what a game series that has been going on for 36 years is. And I liked that Elite was different.

I think it will be the start of the game going in a direction that will leave a lot of old CMDRs behind, and into a space (no pun intended) which is already occupied by many other games.

The space legs we are getting is not the space legs I asked for. IIRC, Elite: Odyssey should be called Elite: Dust 514. Thankfully I'm greatly enjoying "my" space legs in Space Engineers and Subnautica, and when I'm in the mood for space-based FPS, I fire up Star Wars Battlefront.

But perhaps I am wrong and Odyssey will give us much more than some tacky FPS-only addon. Every time I'm cynical about the future of this game, I hope I'm wrong!

The space legs we are getting is not the space legs I asked for. IIRC, Elite: Odyssey should be called Elite: Dust 514. Thankfully I'm greatly enjoying "my" space legs in Space Engineers and Subnautica, and when I'm in the mood for space-based FPS, I fire up Star Wars Battlefront.

But perhaps I am wrong and Odyssey will give us much more than some tacky FPS-only addon. Every time I'm cynical about the future of this game, I hope I'm wrong!

The official announcement, the only piece of official information so far, doesn't say much but it does speak of more things to do other than just combat. And while we still don't know exactly what those things will be, it's also a bit soon to dismiss it as false and conclude it's just an FPS.

The official announcement, the only piece of official information so far, doesn't say much but it does speak of more things to do other than just combat. And while we still don't know exactly what those things will be, it's also a bit soon to dismiss it as false and conclude it's just an FPS.
Well there's that German article that says basically this (no interiors, all FPS), but somebody who knows better (I'm American, so I dunno) says this particular publication is unreliable. I guess we will see! I WANT to be wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Well there's that German article that says basically this (no interiors, all FPS), but somebody who knows better (I'm American, so I dunno) says this particular publication is unreliable. I guess we will see! I WANT to be wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
That German site said:
"Während ihr in Star Citizen so beispielsweise auch Raumstationen und gar das Innere der Raumschiffe erkunden könnt, dürfen sich Elite-Spieler erst einmal nur auf den Planeten selbst die Beine vertreten. "

Translation:
"While you can explore space stations and the insides of ships in Star Citizen, players of Elite will at first only be able to stretch their legs on planets."

No clue where they got their information from, but maybe they just watched the trailer and extrapolated from what they saw and wanted to write a nice-looking sentence.

That German site said:
"Während ihr in Star Citizen so beispielsweise auch Raumstationen und gar das Innere der Raumschiffe erkunden könnt, dürfen sich Elite-Spieler erst einmal nur auf den Planeten selbst die Beine vertreten. "

Translation:
"While you can explore space stations and the insides of ships in Star Citizen, players of Elite will at first only be able to stretch their legs on planets."

No clue where they got their information from, but maybe they just watched the trailer and extrapolated from what they saw and wanted to write a nice-looking sentence.

I suspect they're just making the same assumptions as lots of people: assuming things don't exist just because they weren't shown on a 78 second teaser video.

Or Frontier told them?
No clue.
I can imagine that we change to walk mode the same way we change to SRV when landed. It's a function that's already in the game and works well.
Of course I'd prefer walking around in my ship and stations, and do space walks as well, but we'll see I guess.
Actually, if I could choose, I would skip the whole planet walking and shooting part and make that interiors and space walking only. I don't need another FPS and I'm more interested in doing space ship stuff. Also, planet surfaces are so vast, traversal on foot would be pretty tedious. The distance from one geyser to the next at a geo site is a lot bigger than one might think. :D

But so far all we know is atmospheric desert planet, walking and shooting. Upgrading weapons and player hubs. I think that's about it. More to come. :)

Top Bottom