Windows 10 - finally time to move?

Windows 10 really is utter garbage. Every new feature that is adds is itself broken and breaks two others things. If you can, always stick with Windows 7. You don't really need Microsoft's "support". It works just fine out of the box.

Really? For me it's just as stable as Win7 was, by that i mean it runs everything fine, not had a single issue with it since i installed it. If the definition of garbage for you means everything works and runs ok, i'd hate to know what you'd call it if it actually worked for you. Trick with W10 is to turn off everything in the options menus which are on by default, plenty of vids on youtube to show you how to do that, and on you go.

Windows 10 is good. Its light for a modern OS, MS are slowly adding decent features and so far its cost me nothing to upgrade to. As others have pointed out W7 support is about to expire so its a good time to swap. My only annoyances are with MS itself and not Win 10- the update fiasco(s), its move to subscriptions on things like Office and the lingering "exactly who's computer is this?" feeling I get.

Morbad covered the important stuff on the first page - I'll just add that the latest build -1903 seems a good bit snappier in general use to me.
I use a combination of Stardocks Start 10 - https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/, Winaero tweaker - https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836 and Aero glass - https://www.glass8.eu/ to make my own pc's look and perform exactly like Win 7 on the surface - most folk using them think they are Windows 7.
Classic Shell - http://www.classicshell.net/ and it's follow up Open Shell - https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu are good as well if you don't want to pay for Stardock.

You can move to windows 10. Turn off auto updates though. Do not let them roll anything out to your computer on launch day.

I have yet to find a way of setting updates to be like I had it in W7 - notify but not download - all I can see is the defer for a period or up to a date - is there a way to get W10 to notify but not download?

Really? For me it's just as stable as Win7 was, by that i mean it runs everything fine, not had a single issue with it since i installed it. If the definition of garbage for you means everything works and runs ok, i'd hate to know what you'd call it if it actually worked for you. Trick with W10 is to turn off everything in the options menus which are on by default, plenty of vids on youtube to show you how to do that, and on you go.

I've found the last two release builds exceptionally buggy, especially if you want to know exactly what's going on with the system. For example, since the 1809 release sfc always returns with false positives to botched permission settings. There are also many largely unresolvable errors reports being sent to event viewer, requiring custom filters to find problems at a glance.

On top of that, there is simply so much going on that manually tracking down anomalous behavior is a chore. My primary system, which has Server 2016 on it, has running 35 processes on a fresh boot. The Windows 10 Professional 1903 install on my HTPC/second gaming system, stripped as far as it can go without critical functions failing or bricking the whole OS has about 120. These are both the Windows 10 kernel, and the system processes get merged the same way, so it's not a case of simply having too many processes in the same scvhost instance in Server 2016...there is quite simply far less mandatory garbage on release 1607.

Performance is also impacted by all of this. I won't put Windows 10 on any non-high-end or non-tablet laptop old enough to have Windows 7 chipset drivers that work because in my copious and recent Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 experiences, the Windows 10 installs result in inferior performance (outside of boot and resume times) and worse battery life, all other things being equal. Even taking into account the lower impact of the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations in Windows 10, fully mitigated Windows 7 systems are often more responsive.

Yes, the OS "works", but to get it to be anything less than overtly obnoxious for me to use requires about five times the configuration time of Windows 7 (even with automated scripts doing most of the heavy lifting on 10), and about twenty times as long as it takes me to install a decent Linux distro.

In the end, I'm using it because I have no real choice. If there was any other OS that could support the hardware Windows supports and run the programs Windows runs, there is almost no conceivable way it could be worse than Windows 10, in my view.

The whole trend of the OS as an 'experience' and now as a 'service' has turned me off of Microsoft so throughly that the last time I allowed them to take any of my money that wasn't ad revenue was about eighteen years ago. I'd stop using their products altogether if they weren't 'free' (except in the inordinate amount of labor required to configure and maintain them).

is there a way to get W10 to notify but not download?

Yes, for the most part, but you have to do this through goup policy (not available on Home) or the registry.

I have yet to find a way of setting updates to be like I had it in W7 - notify but not download - all I can see is the defer for a period or up to a date - is there a way to get W10 to notify but not download?
Yes, for the most part, but you have to do this through goup policy (not available on Home) or the registry.

That is perfect - just what I was hoping for (but was too indolent to find) - Veldig bra, tusen takk. (y) (I think I remember correctly that you are Norwegian, if not then my apologies.)

BTW - Is there a setting that actually turns off UAC? I have the slider all the way down but I still have to run certain things "as administrator" to get them to work (Elite Client for example).

Last edited:
I find it amusing how Windows 10 has gone back to the command-line.

Want to bring up a notepad? Hit the windows key, type "NOT" and press enter. A calculator? That's Windows key and "CAL". The control panel is Windows key and "CON".

I've generally had no issues with Windows 10. It works OK. But the Start menu is a mess. The pane of buttons is handy but you can't put nearly enough buttons on it. I'd love to be able to change pages or have folder buttons. Everything else as a simple alphabetical list is a pain, (and you never know if a program is under its name or its publisher's name, and who did publish it anyway?)

BTW - Is there a setting that actually turns off UAC? I have the slider all the way down but I still have to run certain things "as administrator" to get them to work (Elite Client for example).

If you have access to group policy you can disable "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode", which will get rid of that prompt and run everything as admin, assuming you are using an administrator group account, and not a standard user. Be careful with this setting though, as it's rightly considered a security risk.

I would assume this can also be set in the registry somewhere, but I haven't bothered to check.

I'd love to be able to change pages or have folder buttons.

The tiles should scroll once you have enough of them and you can have groups of buttons that function essentially like folders.

Been on Windows 10 since they rolled it out. A couple of weeks ago I dug out an old laptop that had W10 installed on it, been using it for a side project. Yesterday it tells me there is a new update. New features!

Like a fool, I started the process to update it last night at around 9pm. 3 failed attempts and I’m sat here gawping at the now 2 hour long 4th attempt where it downloads it (again), tells me to wait while it installs it (again).

I know, I know. Same thing, different results, lunacy.

It’s taken 6 goes and nearly 24 hours but it has done it. Had to laugh when it showed me this:

Presumably it protected me by trying to keep me offline.

7 FOREVER!!! or until Elite does not work on it anymore!!!
Yup
I have two win 7 game machines. I won't be upgrading them or getting rid of them. I have tons of games on them from win 98 days to now and all run perfectly.
Sooner or later I'll build a more powerful machine for win 10 and the newer games coming out that can use the latest features.

I don't like to necro threads but I'll make an exception in this case.

I finally bit the bullet and went for W10 - quite a seamless upgrade as I decided against a clean install due to the amount of flight simulator scenery etc I have installed (FSX, P3D and X-Plane). I am happy to report that all my installed stuff works with no issues (well apart from Links2003 ;) ). The only thing that I have had to do is make my EDlauncher(s) "run as administrator" since the Elite installation is in the default location (I need to reinstall it outside program files really). What annoys me about that is that I have the UAC slider set to off - so no doubt I have to go into the registry to properly disable it.

One interesting thing - I bought a full retail licence for W10 "Home" from Microsoft but found that the installations on both my PCs upgraded W7 Pro to W10 Pro and were "activated with a digital license" so I had not had to use the product key and was pleasantly surprised when the support chat with Microsoft resulted in an immediate full refund. (y)

I wonder if this "activated" thing was a result of trying W10 back in days of yore or if there is another explanation - saved me £120 anyway!
Upgrades are still free for OEM copies of 7. Media creation tool 😉 Glad it went well Para

Windows 10 really is utter garbage. Every new feature that is adds is itself broken and breaks two others things. If you can, always stick with Windows 7. You don't really need Microsoft's "support". It works just fine out of the box.

If you use your machine online then, in my opinion, for security reasons there is no way around updating to a fully supported Windows version, unless you like Russian Roulette.

Having used MacOS and Linux for years, I have found my return to Windows "not so bad". It's not the unstable, crashing mess that it used to be the last time I used Windows on a daily basis (XP & Vista). It's very fast and responsive, at least on this rig designed for gaming. It looks nice, UI-wise. And of course I cleaned up the start menu and put my own customizations on things.

As for all the intrusive stuff, I went and turned off everything I could, uninstalled all the crap (including much of Microsoft's gook) and replaced the default apps with my own - Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, etc.

I also installed a nice little program called Windows Firewall Control, which basically makes Windows built-in firewall behave like the old ZoneAlarm. This lets me block all the "phone home" attempts made by just about everything on this computer. I do this more to conserve bandwidth than privacy. It works!

I do wish my laptop had come with the Pro version of Windows so I could install "Microsoft Linux". Powershell is okay but it's no Bash! I don't see paying for that upgrade, however.

Windows 10 is just fine, sure it comes with some garbage you don't want but which OS doesnt these days (yea sure linux server, but we're talking desktop OS)

My major concern was privacy and I do have an ongoing battle to keep my pc as private as possible, but I'll take that hit for the dx12 on my shiny gpu

I don't like to necro threads but I'll make an exception in this case.

I finally bit the bullet and went for W10 - quite a seamless upgrade as I decided against a clean install due to the amount of flight simulator scenery etc I have installed (FSX, P3D and X-Plane). I am happy to report that all my installed stuff works with no issues (well apart from Links2003 ;) ). The only thing that I have had to do is make my EDlauncher(s) "run as administrator" since the Elite installation is in the default location (I need to reinstall it outside program files really). What annoys me about that is that I have the UAC slider set to off - so no doubt I have to go into the registry to properly disable it.

That's good to hear. I have Win10 on a laptop which automatically upgraded from Win8. It kept crashing with Explorer shutting down. I found a Win 7 front end for it and it has been fine since.
Like you I have lots of progs installed on my PC so I am wary of a clean upgrade. A friend suggested that I instal Linux and use a VM to run my Windoze progs. Any ideas on this?

A friend suggested that I instal Linux and use a VM to run my Windoze progs. Any ideas on this?
Big topic on running ED under wine and the possible issues on this very forum...

As for other apps and VM
There are alot of things you still can't do... windows powershell is just one example that still very broken under wine...

Apps that check Version OS numbers before running in VM get tripped up by it running in VM machine...
USB devices can fail to ever work as its again going through 2 OSes...

Lots of small print and issues to research before moving to linux...

Big topic on running ED under wine and the possible issues on this very forum...

As for other apps and VM
There are alot of things you still can't do... windows powershell is just one example that still very broken under wine...

Apps that check Version OS numbers before running in VM get tripped up by it running in VM machine...
USB devices can fail to ever work as its again going through 2 OSes...

Lots of small print and issues to research before moving to linux...

I wasn't thinking about running ED under wine but under Windoze in a VM. I'm being nagged by a Linux warrior, you know the type, to switch.
I'm also a bit concerned about Win10 as I've been told by another friend that Win10 sends a lot of your data to M$, without asking.

Yes, there is a lot to study about Linux and using VMs, it seems.

Top Bottom