Horizons Wing Ops

Ok, I did a search and most of what I found was complaints about how some "game produced wing missions" don't work.
I found the very interesting information that all ships in a wing can explore every body in a system and get paid for both the data they scan and evidently the subordinate ships get an extra share.
Also if there is a first discovery, all commanders in the wing get credited.

It will be interesting to see how/if this works after the exploration update.

I have two accounts and two computers with identical monitors sitting at a 120 deg angle to each other.
I have some additional hardware on order.
I have already created Commander specific Voice Attack profiles to do complex ship control functions.
I will have a CP-48 programable keypad for each ship with identical control buttons in the same locations.

Here are some questions:

1. If one ship in a wing is attacked, does the attacker automatically show as hostile to every ship in the wing?

2. If one ship in a wing in supercruise is being interdicted, what happens to the other ship(s) in the wing?

3. Is the "WING BEACON" broken or not?

4. Does the game "cheat" and always send wings to attack you when you are in a wing?

1. The attacker shows as "purple" so enemy but not hostile.
2. Nothing, but the other ships can go to their aid with the Nav lock.
3. Wing beacon works fine for my group.
4. No. It is based on your combat rank.

1. The attacker shows as "purple" so enemy but not hostile.
2. Nothing, but the other ships can go to their aid with the Nav lock.

"purple" Humnnn,, wonder what color that will be since I don't use the standard orange on orange?? Wonder how I can find that out?

Nav Lock is only going to work if there is something to lock to. As best I can figure out, you only leave a wake to lock to is you voluntarily drop out of SC.. If you are pulled out besacue you lost the fight against the interdiction do you leave a wake?? I never submit. I always fight.

Hi Marcus,
I'm deadly and carrying freight. Up to 3 Anacondas can attack me at once.
Is this normal for a Deadly Combat pilot carrying freight?
Hey Mike!
Yes sorry, deadly is almost elite so you will be attacked by Anacondas all the time now. Nothing to do with the freight, all about your combat rank. (But if you have no freight they are less likely to interdict you)

Take a limpet controller and get all their materials if you can kill them or get good at evading.
Anacondas have a good chance of dropping high grade materials for engineering.

Last edited:
I cannot help with the question, but it raises another question.

Where are they attacking you??

I do a lot of trade to Onnes in LFT 37.
The pirates are 90% interdicters as advised by the mission giver. If one doesn't show up on time, he may drop in while another is attacking me.
They are almost all elite.
One time I had 3 Anacondas attack me at once and one had a fighter.
I killed em all, but had about 60% hull. Their bounty was greater than the damage. Rofl.
I wing up with a friend and FDLs seem to interdict me again and again. But they don't interdict him. Seems wierd. But ... what the heck. Their bounty is credits in the bank.

Marcus, somebody in our discord wanted chemical distillery mats.
I told him there are heaps of mats between the star and Onnes station. I can't be bothered picking up any more.

Wow mike, sounds like you are doing really well!
1. It is random with missions if people hunt you.
2. if your wing buddy does not take missions then they will only interdict you. ( though your wing buddy can nav lock and come and help which is a lot of fun)
3. If you wing buddy IS taking missions then it is still random and he is just lucky.
4. Sounds like you are taking lots of missions at once and this is why you are getting attacked so much.
5. If you really do hate being attacked so much then take one mission at a time. ( but it might be boring )

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Ok, I did a search and most of what I found was complaints about how some "game produced wing missions" don't work.
I found the very interesting information that all ships in a wing can explore every body in a system and get paid for both the data they scan and evidently the subordinate ships get an extra share.

Ok,, Here is what happens in WING OPS EXPLORATION.
There are two ways to do this.
The first one is to have each ship go to the system separately with and ADS and DSS and scan everything. Both only get the full credit for what they scan. As someone else noted, the only one to get the FIRST DISCOVERY bonus is probably the first one to do the scan.
BUT.. If All ships in the wing are all in the same system, only one needs to have an ADS since that scan will show up in everyone's system map. If the others have DSS they can split up and scan different body's and all will get to sell all of the information.

Going to be real interesting to see what the EXPLORATION UPDATE does to this..

Ok,, Here is what happens in WING OPS EXPLORATION.
There are two ways to do this.
The first one is to have each ship go to the system separately with and ADS and DSS and scan everything. Both only get the full credit for what they scan. As someone else noted, the only one to get the FIRST DISCOVERY bonus is probably the first one to do the scan.
BUT.. If All ships in the wing are all in the same system, only one needs to have an ADS since that scan will show up in everyone's system map. If the others have DSS they can split up and scan different body's and all will get to sell all of the information.

Found an interesting quirk. Even if you wingmate has scanned it and you can see the data in the systems map and the Nav panel shows that the body has been explored, you can still do a new DSS on the body. Don't seem to get any new information though..

!
( though your wing buddy can nav lock and come and help which is a lot of fun)

Now this is an interesting thought.
As noted I am playing two commanders on side by side computers.
If we are winged up and one ship is nav locked to the other one and that one is interdicted,, will the one that is nav locked automatic drop if the first one is pulled into normal space without submitting?

I am reasonably certain that if the ship submits, the nav locked would drop automatically but confirmation would be nice.

Now this is an interesting thought.
As noted I am playing two commanders on side by side computers.
If we are winged up and one ship is nav locked to the other one and that one is interdicted,, will the one that is nav locked automatic drop if the first one is pulled into normal space without submitting?

I am reasonably certain that if the ship submits, the nav locked would drop automatically but confirmation would be nice.
if in range then yes, a blue box around them is in range and it will say “in range” and a red box is out of range.
Hope this helps.
Maybe try a test? Drop out of super cruise with one ship and see if it works?
Also having wing signal on helps alot.
The gravity well of being VERY close to a planet messes up with this though.

Last edited:
if in range then yes, a blue box around them is in range and it will say “in range” and a red box is out of range.
Hope this helps.
Maybe try a test? Drop out of super cruise with one ship and see if it works?
Also having wing signal on helps alot.
The gravity well of being VERY close to a planet messes up with this though.

Didn't quite answer the question.
I have already proved to myself that IF the ship that is NAV LOCKED manually drops from supercruise, the other one will indeed drop. What Nav Lock seems to do is automatically lock to the "wake signal" of the locked ship. Yes. Having Wing Signal on makes this almost fool proof.
The documentation says it will but isn't clear about the "distance".

The real question(s) are.

Starting condition. The Ships in the wing are "patrolling" close enough together that that the automatic drop should happen.

If the NAV LOCKED ship is interdicted and submits by setting ZERO THROTTLE, will the other ship automatically drop?

If the NAV LOCKED ship is interdicted and fights it and loses, will the other ship automatically drop?

Is MANUAL drop a requirement for the auto drop to happen?

The real question(s) are.

Starting condition. The Ships in the wing are "patrolling" close enough together that that the automatic drop should happen.

yes

If the NAV LOCKED ship is interdicted and submits by setting ZERO THROTTLE, will the other ship automatically drop?

yes

If the NAV LOCKED ship is interdicted and fights it and loses, will the other ship automatically drop?

yes

Is MANUAL drop a requirement for the auto drop to happen?

No but not quite sure what you mean with this one?

The documentation says it will but isn't clear about the "distance".

So far I have not been able to have my ships in supercruise close enough together to get the distance between the ships to be less than 35 KM after the automatic drop.

I usually get within 5 km if I fly to the wake signal and manually drop.

Ok,,

Ok, The new tools don't change a lot except that it is more difficult to get the DETAILED SURFACE DATA but the Surface Data is a lot more detailed.
As best I can tell, all wing mates get to sell the System/Surface data.
But, only the first to do it get the "CODEX NEW BODY DISCOVERY REWARD".
There may also be a smaller secondary payout (see Geyser and Fumarole Location Catalog and Data Collection) for the CODEX stuff for the other wing mate if they also scan the body but I have not verified that yet.

I am going to take both my commanders someplace and sell off all the Scanning data so I can start fresh and actually see what is shared and what isn't.

Top Bottom