With genome editing, should we expect albino animals?

Animals with albinism do look beautiful but the lack of melanin isn’t very beneficial for those animals, especially if they live in the wild.

Albinism makes them very sensitive and let’s them have exclusive health issues..
skin sensitivity towards sunlight
light sensitive eyes
deafness
neurological problems

lesser immunity

“AN INHERITED TRAIT
Albinism is passed genetically from parents to offspring. Each cell contains numerous pairs of genes, one from each parent. These genes transmit traits through generations. An albino offspring results from a specific combination of genes.

Albinos are infrequent because the genes for that trait are recessive, while the genes for normal pigmentation are dominant. If both are present, normal pigmentation occurs. If only recessive genes occur, albinism may result. Only a small percentage of animals carry the recessive gene, so the chance of the pairing of recessive genes in an individual animal is slight.” (https://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2005/06/all-about-albinism)

Even though it might be a bit harder to breed and take care of albinos I’d really like to see them in game. I can imagine them attracting more guests but also have a shorter lifespan to keep the balance, can’t have everything I guess. Could imagine there being an achievement for this also.
But releasing them into the wild might be something that won’t be possible, or rather ill-advised.

That ray looks awesome.
It puzzles me how it survived to grow this big.
Must be very difficult to hide from predators.

That would be really cool to see that ray in person.
Not just albinism but any rare color variation would be cool? White tigers for example.
Although white tigers look very beautiful, I still prefer the normal colours.
I do hope they are in the game
Also white lions would be cool to have..

Animals with albinism do look beautiful but the lack of melanin isn’t very beneficial for those animals, especially if they live in the wild.

Albinism makes them very sensitive and let’s them have exclusive health issues..
skin sensitivity towards sunlight
light sensitive eyes
deafness
neurological problems

lesser immunity

“AN INHERITED TRAIT
Albinism is passed genetically from parents to offspring. Each cell contains numerous pairs of genes, one from each parent. These genes transmit traits through generations. An albino offspring results from a specific combination of genes.

Albinos are infrequent because the genes for that trait are recessive, while the genes for normal pigmentation are dominant. If both are present, normal pigmentation occurs. If only recessive genes occur, albinism may result. Only a small percentage of animals carry the recessive gene, so the chance of the pairing of recessive genes in an individual animal is slight.” (https://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2005/06/all-about-albinism)

Even though it might be a bit harder to breed and take care of albinos I’d really like to see them in game. I can imagine them attracting more guests but also have a shorter lifespan to keep the balance, can’t have everything I guess. Could imagine there being an achievement for this also.
But releasing them into the wild might be something that won’t be possible, or rather ill-advised.

Wow, I never knew Albinism could come with deafness and/or neurological problems :(
I really like your suggestion though! Having the animal attract more visitors while consequently living a shorter lifespan is a unique way to balance this.
Id love to see this implemented if albino animals are an option!

That would be really cool to see that ray in person.
Not just albinism but any rare color variation would be cool? White tigers for example.

Im all for more types of rare colors and variants! However, I just hope they wouldn't go too crazy and stray away from realism.

Top Bottom